DK Metcalf Trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK Metcalf Trade

Reports on several outlets ( Yes just reports ) are saying Seattle could part with the WR for a 1st round pick, would you trade one of the 3 we have for him ?

I personally wouldn't. Maybe I'm overthinking it. The guy is good and there's no telling how a draft pick will turn out. But he only has one year left on his rookie deal and the WR contracts this offseason have been insane. I don't think I'd give up a 1st in exchange for that commitment. I also think Howie ideally wants to turn one of this year's firsts into two firsts in 2023. Not sure if he'll be able to, but I'd guess he'll try.

Comment

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
      I personally wouldn't. Maybe I'm overthinking it. The guy is good and there's no telling how a draft pick will turn out. But he only has one year left on his rookie deal and the WR contracts this offseason have been insane. I don't think I'd give up a 1st in exchange for that commitment. I also think Howie ideally wants to turn one of this year's firsts into two firsts in 2023. Not sure if he'll be able to, but I'd guess he'll try.
      Good point on the rookie contracts. Of course, one year of Metcalf beats five years of Reagor.

Offer a second.
      Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

This is why I love this board. This is not meant to be a shot at either of you but a commentary in general. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many posts about Howie being an idiot for passing on players like DK and Jefferson and here we are with an opportunity to add a lethal weapon to our offense that will make our offense scary good with Smith, Goedart, Quez and our RB crew and we are worried about dropping a 1st and spending money for a gamechanger. There is no offensive playmaker in the draft that will make an impact like DK who isn't even in his prime yet and we want to go out and compete with bargain basement 2nd and 3rd tier players.

It just makes me laugh that we talk about being salary cap champions and cry when we have to pony up money for difference makers. If we are going to ride with Hurts, who to be honest isn't the best pocket passer, why not surround his with great weapons and maybe he can get better and be serviceable.

It isn't always worth they money to spend huge contracts, but DK is a no brainer IMO with a QB on a rookie contract whether it her Hurts or some dude next year. They will be set up with weapons at every position. Not really a bad recipe for success in this current NFL landscape.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan92 View Post
          This is why I love this board. This is not meant to be a shot at either of you but a commentary in general. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many posts about Howie being an idiot for passing on players like DK and Jefferson and here we are with an opportunity to add a lethal weapon to our offense that will make our offense scary good with Smith, Goedart, Quez and our RB crew and we are worried about dropping a 1st and spending money for a gamechanger. There is no offensive playmaker in the draft that will make an impact like DK who isn't even in his prime yet and we want to go out and compete with bargain basement 2nd and 3rd tier players.

It just makes me laugh that we talk about being salary cap champions and cry when we have to pony up money for difference makers. If we are going to ride with Hurts, who to be honest isn't the best pocket passer, why not surround his with great weapons and maybe he can get better and be serviceable.

It isn't always worth they money to spend huge contracts, but DK is a no brainer IMO with a QB on a rookie contract whether it her Hurts or some dude next year. They will be set up with weapons at every position. Not really a bad recipe for success in this current NFL landscape.
          This is what I thought when posting, people would be coming out of the woodwork saying YES right a wrong, now they are saying no because he only has one year left on a rookie deal.

Comment

Trading for Metcalf now would be silly. First of all, they don't have a quarterback. As a result, this team is rebuilding. Second, Metcalf will be overpaid because the wide receiver market is resembling today's housing market. That will eventually change. Good teams are moving those wide receivers who are looking to take advantage of this inflated market. Bad teams are overspending for this position because that is what bad teams do. Not too long ago, bad teams were overspending for the running back position. That has now changed. The same will eventually happen with wideouts. Third, this team's priority is getting a quarterback. That will not happen this year. They've made it clear they don't want Hurts by accumulating draft picks so the best option is to tank and hope for the best next season. Unfortunately, they have another easy schedule so they need all the detriments they can get. Finally, let's not forget wide receivers don't want to come here which is totally understandable. They would have to overpay in a shitty market. I know everyone wants the shiny new toy but it's pointless with a team that's going nowhere.

Comment

You're missing the point. If they aren't willing to pay Metcalf long term, it's a waste to trade a first just to have him next season.

If they're going to pay him, I'm in.

Comment

DK Metcalf absolutely is in his prime. I don't want to go out and compete with bargain basement players. I have never once mentioned "salary cap champions."

It doesn't make sense for this team to give up a 1st (and likely more) for Metcalf. I think they want to have two 1sts in 2023 in case Hurts isn't the guy. If they can't work out a trade, I think they will target WR in the first round. They won't get Metcalf production, but they could get a good player. Otherwise, regardless of what happens at QB, free agency in 2023 sounds like a better option than giving up what teams have been giving up in exchange to commit to WRs.

More than likely, this conversation is going to be moot. Seattle will probably keep Metcalf and he'll have a down year with some bum throwing to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac View Post

You're missing the point. If they aren't willing to pay Metcalf long term, it's a waste to trade a first just to have him next season.

If they're going to pay him, I'm in.
                  I think it's understood that they would pay him if they traded for him.

Something about it doesn't feel right. Maybe it's that it will take more than a 1st. Maybe it's looking at just how ugly the top 10 WR contracts in the NFL are. It makes more sense than some of the trade scenarios that get floated (Michael Thomas anyone?), but the Adams trade seemed like a lot and the Hill trade was even more. The price to commit to a WR has been set high, and Metcalf isn't as good as those guys.

Almost feels like the Rams showed that trading for players can work and teams are trying to copy it. But this team isn't the Rams.

Comment

DK Metcalf absolutely is in his prime. I don't want to go out and compete with bargain basement players. I have never once mentioned "salary cap champions."

It doesn't make sense for this team to give up a 1st (and likely more) for Metcalf. I think they want to have two 1sts in 2023 in case Hurts isn't the guy. If they can't work out a trade, I think they will target WR in the first round. They won't get Metcalf production, but they could get a good player. Otherwise, regardless of what happens at QB, free agency in 2023 sounds like a better option than giving up what teams have been giving up in exchange to commit to WRs.

More than likely, this conversation is going to be moot. Seattle will probably keep Metcalf and he'll have a down year with some bum throwing to him.
                    Ya bother there is a case for both sides but as I said this wasn't directed at either of you just a broad statement that either way people with bitch an moan. So no never mentioned you said any of this just putting it out there.

Those advocating for Hurts to be given a chance to be the guy don't want to surround him with weapons lol

If your QB is shit, you overpay the other positions to compensate so you can compete. If they do draft their QB next year you still can defer 1 draft pick to next year, 1 for DK and 1 for a defensive player and go get your QB next year who will have a deadly array of weapons for years to grow with.

If you send the picks for a veteran them you blow your draft capital and you have holes all over the place with an aging roster and have to pay $40+ mill to a QB and still might not compete. Either way, gotta pick a lane and stick to it I suppose.

Comment

I think it's understood that they would pay him if they traded for him.
                      Which is why they aren't likely to make the trade.

I'd pay him. I doubt Howie will.

Comment

Working...
                      X