What is the purpose of Gannon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the purpose of Gannon?

He has only one defensive scheme that he uses every game.
    Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

IT STILL IS PRE-SEASON RIGHT?
    WHY SHOW ANYTHING IN PRACTICE.
    "LIFE IS FULL OF 4TH AND 1 DECISIONS, CHOOSE YOUR NEXT CROSSROADS WISELY.

Comment

I expect Gannon's defense to have a very good year.

Comment

Did you watch last season? It's always the same scheme. Give up first downs and hope the other team makes a mistake. He's horrible.

Comment

15. Philadelphia Eagles

The Eagles defense was a flat-out bore last season. They finished 24th in defensive DVOA—the third-worst ranking for the franchise going back to 1981. The ranking dipped after the Eagles rested their starters against the Cowboys in Week 18. But it also got a boost going up against backup quarterbacks like Jake Fromm, Trevor Siemian, and Garrett Gilbert earlier in the season. Whenever the Eagles faced a competent or good quarterback, the defense got torched.

GM Howie Roseman did his job this offseason, adding edge defender Haason Reddick, linebacker Kyzir White, and cornerback James Bradberry. The Eagles drafted defensive tackle Jordan Davis in the first round and linebacker Nakobe Dean in the third. The defensive line goes eight-deep with starting-caliber players. Bradberry, Darius Slay, and Avonte Maddox give the Eagles three solid veteran corners.

The Eagles played a high percentage of zone coverage last year and blitzed at the fourth-lowest rate, as first-year defensive coordinator Jonathan Gannon prioritized stopping explosive plays above all else. But opponents completed 70 percent of their passes against the Eagles—the worst mark of any defense over the past two seasons.

In terms of talent, this is a top-10 group. But Gannon needs to prove he can maximize the personnel available to him.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/8...s-angeles-rams

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac View Post
            15. Philadelphia Eagles

The Eagles defense was a flat-out bore last season. They finished 24th in defensive DVOA—the third-worst ranking for the franchise going back to 1981. The ranking dipped after the Eagles rested their starters against the Cowboys in Week 18. But it also got a boost going up against backup quarterbacks like Jake Fromm, Trevor Siemian, and Garrett Gilbert earlier in the season. Whenever the Eagles faced a competent or good quarterback, the defense got torched.

GM Howie Roseman did his job this offseason, adding edge defender Haason Reddick, linebacker Kyzir White, and cornerback James Bradberry. The Eagles drafted defensive tackle Jordan Davis in the first round and linebacker Nakobe Dean in the third. The defensive line goes eight-deep with starting-caliber players. Bradberry, Darius Slay, and Avonte Maddox give the Eagles three solid veteran corners.

The Eagles played a high percentage of zone coverage last year and blitzed at the fourth-lowest rate, as first-year defensive coordinator Jonathan Gannon prioritized stopping explosive plays above all else. But opponents completed 70 percent of their passes against the Eagles—the worst mark of any defense over the past two seasons.

In terms of talent, this is a top-10 group. But Gannon needs to prove he can maximize the personnel available to him.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/8...s-angeles-rams

you know how I know you’re gay? No, it’s not this post. It’s the Eddie Money poster in your mom’s basement.

Comment

Did you watch last season? It's always the same scheme. Give up first downs and hope the other team makes a mistake. He's horrible.
              I did watch last season. Gannon was severely limited by his personnel. He'll never blitz a lot, but his strategy was preferable to allowing a secondary with one good player to get torched.

This year they upgraded at all 3 levels in free agency. The addition of Davis will also make a difference in a scheme that relies on coverage rather than blitzing.

There is a reason that more teams are running a defense like Gannon's, and that he was a serious candidate for HC jobs in the offseason. With this team's schedule in 2022, the defense will feast against bad teams again, but I also expect them to play well against good teams.

Comment

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post

I did watch last season. Gannon was severely limited by his personnel. He'll never blitz a lot, but his strategy was preferable to allowing a secondary with one good player to get torched.

This year they upgraded at all 3 levels in free agency. The addition of Davis will also make a difference in a scheme that relies on coverage rather than blitzing.

There is a reason that more teams are running a defense like Gannon's, and that he was a serious candidate for HC jobs in the offseason. With this team's schedule in 2022, the defense will feast against bad teams again, but I also expect them to play well against good teams.
                He was a candidate for HC because he's a good interview. Same reason he's a DC.

I have no idea what you've seen to indicate he's a good DC. The personnel are severely limited by Gannon. Kapadia's assessment is they have top ten talent that will be worse because of Gannon.

Jeff should demand Sirianni fire him.

Comment

Gonna be a special year for all you naysayers. Iggs are a very deep team on both sides. Cam Jurgens is an animal .

Comment

He was a candidate for HC because he's a good interview. Same reason he's a DC.

I have no idea what you've seen to indicate he's a good DC. The personnel are severely limited by Gannon. Kapadia's assessment is they have top ten talent that will be worse because of Gannon.

Jeff should demand Sirianni fire him.
                    I would guess he was a candidate for HC because teams were impressed by his install and because he runs the kind of defense that more teams are transitioning toward.

I saw the defense play well against every bad opponent and one good opponent (SF). I remember when this defense would get torched by weak opponents. I also saw him get something out of this team’s CBs. After talented CBs (Asomugha, Maxwell, Darby, Douglas, Slay in his first year) looking bad here for a long time, that was refreshing.

Gannon is the hill I’m willing to die on. I know fans will never be happy with him. I’m glad fans can’t will defenses into blitzing more.

Comment

Working...
                    X