Rumor now about Eagles trade with Chargers for Austin Ekeler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumor now about Eagles trade with Chargers for Austin Ekeler

In fact, there's a CBS Sports mock draft that just came out showing this. Eagles give up the #30 pick and get the Chargers #54 pick and Ekeler. In the same mock, they have us taking JALEN CARTER with pick #10! If this happens, I will be THRILLED!

Off the top of my head that sounds like a bad, bad deal for the Eagles. Move back 24 spots (and lose the 5th year option) in exchange for a running back heading into year 7 who wants a new contract? Can't imagine Howie would do that.

Comment

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
      Off the top of my head that sounds like a bad, bad deal for the Eagles. Move back 24 spots (and lose the 5th year option) in exchange for a running back heading into year 7 who wants a new contract? Can't imagine Howie would do that.
      Howie is looking to pick up some draft capital. If you can get this proven player at #30 and pick up an extra 2, that doesn't seem bad to me. Of course it would all hinge on what he would accept as far as a contract and we've seen the magic Howie can do there. The guy is a touchdown machine.

NFL records
      • One of four players in 15 years to score at least 15 touchdowns in back-to-back seasons.
      • Along with Marshall Faulk, Ekeler is one of two players in NFL history to have 10 or more rushing touchdowns and five or more receiving touchdowns in consecutive seasons.
      • Along with Priest Holmes, Ekeler is one of two players in NFL history to be an undrafted player with 1,500 scrimmage yards and 15 touchdowns in consecutive seasons.
      • Most catches by a running back in a single season in Chargers history.

Comment

Right, but I don't really see this as picking up draft capital. They don't net any extra picks, they just slide back in exchange for the right to extend a 7th year running back.

We could argue all day about the value of a running back, but I would draft Bijan Robinson at #10 10 times out of 10 before giving up much at all for Ekeler.

Comment

I understand it is entertaining to put together mock scenarios as the draft nears but how do people who follow Howie and this team think this seems logical?

Howie is going to trade a first round pick for an undersized, 7th-year running back who wants to get paid? Does this sound like a Howie move?

It's kind of like the same thought process with Budda Baker or Devon White. Do you think Howie wants to trade for a safety or linebacker who wants to get paid? Does this sound like a Howie move?

He just doesn't value these positions.

Comment

I can't see Howie paying Ekeler.
            Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

Working...
            X