Iggledraftphans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iggledraftphans

I think Howie has been pretty transparent when it comes to his draft philosophy. He values the trenches. He just doesn't value certain positions and he's been pretty deliberate and obvious about that.

When the Eagles draft in the first round each year, I rule out specific positions (RB, LB, TE, and Safeties). WR is a first round position in Howie's eyes but he has lost his confidence after hitting that cold streak. That's why he traded for Brown last year.

That leaves the lineman as the logical choice in the first round. Now the question is what side of the ball will he target. I have to assume best player available. Unfortunately, I don't think Howie will be able to get Carter and Chicago may get the best offensive lineman.

This is where I think they're screwed. If Carter is off the board, the Eagles should trade down the draft board. This is not a strong draft. After the top tier is drafted early, it becomes a crapshoot (Yes, I know the draft is always a crapshoot but it really get tough with this draft class). I still have no faith this team can draft a lineman later in the first round. Van Ness and Nolan have a lot of red flags. Skoronski is far from a sure thing. These corners appear to be second tier.

I would rather they accumulate more draft capital in next year's draft and hope the quality is better.

They have the 10th and 30th pick. If one of the four QBs drop down the board, these two spots are actually almost perfect. Tennessee has the 11th pick and they may target a QB. A team like TB or Minn may be willing to leapfrog Tennessee to get a QB. Howie should do this if he can get another first rounder for next year. I prefer TB because the pick is better and I think they will struggle this season. The 30th pick is similar to when the Eagles traded their pick after the Super Bowl to Baltimore for them to get Lamar Jackson. That netted the Eagles a second rounder to drop to pick 52. I wouldn't hate that either.

While I'm not a draft guru, I know what I would want on the surface. I want two players: Jalen Carter and Jahmyr Gibbs. This will take some maneuvering. I think Howie will need to make a couple of trades to make this work. I would trade one of the two second round picks they have next year to move up and get Carter (if possible). Unfortunately, unless he really bombed his interviews, I don't see him getting past Seattle or Detroit. If they miss out on him, trade down and cross your fingers Howie chooses the right lineman. If possible, I would hope Howie could get Gibbs in the second round. This will be somewhat risky because I think Dallas is taking a running back. I think they're getting either Robinson or Gibbs. It's just their MO. That may mean they miss out on Gibbs.

All of this being said, this is a year where the Eagles have two first round picks. I don't have much of a history to compare when it comes to 'luxury picks'. I know Howie ended up with AJ Brown last year and I certainly didn't see that coming. Howie could do something unexpected again. It certainly will be interesting.
    Last edited by Snakebitten; 04-20-2023, 05:03 PM.

Originally posted by Snakebitten View Post
    I think Howie has been pretty transparent when it comes to his draft philosophy. He values the trenches. He just doesn't value certain positions and he's been pretty deliberate and obvious about that.

100% correct. Folks were banging the drum for a CB before Slay was restructured, but it was never going to happen.

Eagles picks spent on defensive backs since Howie got control back from Chip Kelly.

2016 - 196, 233

2017 - 43, 99

2018 - 125

2020 - 127

2021 - 123, 224

7 drafts, only two top 100 picks used on a DB.

Comment

IDK, I think everyone is giving "Howie" too much credit when it comes to player evaluation and selection. I think their strategy is more to do with people like Stoutland than it is about Howie. Howie is working the contracts and the cap. That's what I think Howie is doing. And here it is: THAT is exactly why the Eagles have had success. It's because they don't have a Jerry Jones or a "Howie" doing shit they're not supposed to be doing, like evaluating talent.
      Last edited by Two Gap Penetrator; 04-21-2023, 01:15 PM.

Comment

I would shocked to see the iggs take a RB in the top 10. Never has been their philosophy on drafting RB's.
        OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
        "BFTR"

Comment

Mark this down right now: If Bijan Robinson is there and they don't take him, they're going to regret it. When I watch that guy play, it's like everyone else on the field is moving in slow motion. One of the people that I felt the same about was Deion Sanders. There have been a few others, but not many. Now do RB's in the NFL take a beating and have short careers? Yes, but if you're afraid, get a dog.

Comment

Howie won't pick at 10... He'll either trade down, or use it as a bargaining chip for a trade for an active player...
            Book it...

Comment

I don't disagree Bijan appears to be special. I just don't think they run an offense that utilizes bell cow running backs. Should they to protect the quarterback? Absolutely. Will they? I would have to see it to believe it.

I know Sanders had his deficiencies but it felt like they never really leaned on him. There were several times they ignored the running backs completely. I think this offense is going to continue to be running back by committee. It is hard to argue with that. We've watched plenty of Super Bowls with teams leaning on running backs by committee. I think the strategy is keep drafting a running back later in the draft every few years and see who sticks.

When I think of these teams with bell cow running backs, they almost all have the same thing in common. They are sitting at home watching the Super Bowls every year.

I agree Stoutland impacts the draft. He makes it more possible to draft an offensive lineman outside of the first round who can actually contribute immediately. Howie should keep taking advantage of that.

When I think about how much of a say Howie has in drafting, it's hard not to overlook that reluctant fist bump Tom Donahoe gave him after Howie picked Milton Williams over his guy. I will always think Howie is involved with every transaction on this roster.

That being said, if Howie chose to zig when everyone expects him to zag and draft Bijan, I wouldn't be disappointed at all. I truly believe this is a weak draft class. If they don't get Carter, I have zero faith Howie is going to draft the correct lineman with what's going to left over....especially on defense.

This year reminds me of the 1995 draft. I don't want the guy who excels at the combine or interviews well. I want the guy with the red flags off the field. Give me Sapp (Carter) over Mamula (Van Ness or Smith). Give me the dumb kid that made a dumb decision off the field that many of of us did at that age. I am confident this locker room could keep him in line.

Comment

Originally posted by Two Gap Penetrator View Post
                Mark this down right now: If Bijan Robinson is there and they don't take him, they're going to regret it. When I watch that guy play, it's like everyone else on the field is moving in slow motion. One of the people that I felt the same about was Deion Sanders. There have been a few others, but not many. Now do RB's in the NFL take a beating and have short careers? Yes, but if you're afraid, get a dog.
                I think there's a case to be made for Robinson, which is why this team is doing its due diligence on him. The case is compelling considering it's hard to see how a rookie at OT, WR, CB, etc. could really get on the field this season. But ultimately, I think Hurts makes RBs' lives too easy for them to really invest in the position.

I think they'll go edge and OL with the picks. Not sure about the order. IMO they'd want a plug-and-play guard who could swing out to OT in case of injury, allowing Jurgens to step in. That's probably easier to find at #10 (Skoronski, Johnson). If they go edge at #10 (Nolan Smith?) it sounds like O'Cyrus Torrence could be a plug-and-play guard. But I haven't heard anything about him playing tackle, so I think maybe they'd rather go OL earlier. Sounds like they like the DE from Northwestern, who should be there at #30.

I'd look for safety in the second round and a 2nd TE in the 3rd round. We'll see what kind of trades they maneuver.

Comment

Robinson’s useful life as a top tier running back approximates Hurts’s useful life as an RPO running quarterback. Imagine being a defensive end or outside linebacker and having Jalen running at you holding the ball in Bijon’s gut. The Eagles have the best offense in the NFC right now. This is their window. Go for it Howie.
                  Last edited by RSE; 04-21-2023, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RSE View Post
                    Robinson’s useful life as a top tier running back approximates Hurts’s useful life as an RPO running quarterback. Imagine being a defensive end or outside linebacker and having Jalen running at you holding the ball in Bijon’s gut. The Eagles have the best offense in the NFC right now. This is their window. Go for it Howie.
                    OMG THIS

Comment

I don't know where the idea that Howie can't pick the correct offensive lineman comes from. 3/5 starters on the best OL in the NFL last year were Howie picks.

Comment

Howie needs to hit on the defensive side of the lines (actually he needs to hit on defense in general). Stoutland allows him to look in the later rounds to address the offensive side. They don't have a coach like that on the defensive side. While I liked the pick last year, I'm not sure if Jordan Davis is as good as advertised. It's only been one year so the jury is still out. I think Thursday may be an indicator that I'm not the only one who thinks that way.

I've mentioned this on here many times. Howie's kryptonite is drafting players later in the first round. He literally drafts better in the second round than he does in the first. I have no idea why that is the case but he may need to keep doing this because it's working. That being said, I hope Howie only moves up the draft board with pick #10 and would prefer he trade out of the first round with pick #30. Now this could change if certain players drop down the board.

Comment

Also, another thing to add in regards to the offensive line, Howie doesn't appear to value guards in the first round (rightfully so). He would prefer to take that position no earlier than the second round. This is the Stoutland effect. If Skoronski is projecting to be a guard, I have to think they don't have interest in drafting him at #10.

Comment

Originally posted by RSE View Post
                            This is 1000% correct. You can pound defenses for 4 years with a player option with this pick. This is a luxury pick that we never should have had and Howie made it happen. Use it and don't waste Hurts' prime. Stack him with playmakers at every skill position. Stoutland can make OL players and then draft D or add FA's or trade for them. This pick makes too much sense to pass up for once.

Comment

My preference in order is Carter or Bijan with #10 - for Carter would be fine with them trading up to get him.

Hoping that they don't end up in no man's land where Carter and Bijan are gone by #10

Comment

Working...
                              X