Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything you need to know about Jonathan Gannon

More ZBerm

Jonathan Gannon on the onsides kick: “It worked. ...The reason for that is you don't want to get bled out. That team is too good. I trust the defense to get a stop right there and make them kick a field goal, which is what they did, but with five minutes left, what they've shown is they're not going to give you the ball back. And I wanted to make sure at all costs Kyler had the ball in his hand."

He's claiming the failed onsides kick was 3D chess.
    Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

It worked. Looks pretty smart now.

Comment

His reason makes no sense. If you trust the defense to get a stop why not kick It deep? I call bullshit.
      --------
      "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Originally posted by 1960 View Post
        It worked. Looks pretty smart now.
        It didn't work. They got away with it. Just as easy to kill the clock from the 50 as from the 20.

I'm not saying it was a bad call. Just don't give me this 3D chess stuff. Typical Gannon.

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
          His reason makes no sense. If you trust the defense to get a stop why not kick It deep? I call bullshit.
          Perfectly stated

Comment

Fuck that goofy looking Fuckhead Gannon. If he's such a football genius, why is his team only 4 and 12? And why are they cleaning out their lockers and going home after next week's game? He fucked us over in the SB. He can go fuck himself for all of eternity. 3D Chess my ass!

Comment

Saying he trusted the defense is coach speak. He wanted time on the clock after the Eagles scored. People on here called it as soon as it happened. It's hard to bleed 5:30 off the clock when you're starting inside the opponent's 45.

It's not a move that a team in playoff contention would have made, but the logic checks out.

Comment

I believe that he knew that if there is time left on the clock, the eagles wouldn’t be able to stop Kyler from driving the field.
                500 internet fights, that's the number I figured when I first joined igglephans. 500 internet fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate internet-tough guy. You need them for experience, to develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then...after...you realize that's what you are.

Comment

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
                  Saying he trusted the defense is coach speak. He wanted time on the clock after the Eagles scored. People on here called it as soon as it happened. It's hard to bleed 5:30 off the clock when you're starting inside the opponent's 45.

It's not a move that a team in playoff contention would have made, but the logic checks out.
                  Still doesn’t make sense. He merely benefited from Sirianni’s stupidity and the Eagles defensive ineptitude. Not from some Spock like logic. He gambled and won.

A competent team would have capitalized on that douchebag Gannon’s hubris. But these Eagles are incompetently coached.
                  --------

Comment

And that's just the worst case scenario. Best case, you get the ball back, the Eagles defense does its thing, you score, and put the game away.

I don't think it was 3D chess, I just think it was an in-your-face to Gannon's replacement(s). You can't stop us anyway, why not?

Comment

Originally posted by The Duck View Post

I don't think it was 3D chess, I just think it was an in-your-face to Gannon's replacement(s). You can't stop us anyway, why not?
                      This is it. Gannon was playing with house money…he wins either way so he took the opportunity for the FU.

--------

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post

Still doesn’t make sense. He merely benefited from Sirianni’s stupidity and the Eagles defensive ineptitude. Not from some Spock like logic. He gambled and won.

A competent team would have capitalized on that douchebag Gannon’s hubris. But these Eagles are incompetently coached.
                        I would agree that it was a house money move. No team worried about losing would have gone with an onside kick there.

The Cardinals made very little effort to hide the fact that they didn't want to win games this year, which makes the loss even more pathetic.

Comment

Part of the reason, I believe, that Sirianni called for runs after 1st and 20 was to run time off the clock, knowing he would probably have to settle for three, or make Arizona use its time outs. Ironically, the Eagles botched even that and would up wasting a time out of their own.

Comment

I'm not buying it. He on-sided it because he didn't think he was getting the ball back. Period.

I don't believe that conceding 3 and quite possibly 7 is the smart move with 5:30 left in a tie game. You don't purposely force yourself to go the length of the field for a TD, if you don't have to.

One more first down would have put them inside two minutes. Two would have run the clock out. What do the analytics say?

Gannon is a pure opportunist. When he heard the 3D chess stuff he thought sure, that's me!

Just because the battered wives here were scared doesn't make it logical.
                            Last edited by Maniac; 01-02-2024, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac View Post

I'm not buying it. He on-sided it because he didn't think he was getting the ball back. Period.

I don't believe that conceding 3 and quite possibly 7 is the smart move with 5:30 left in a tie game. You don't purposely force yourself to go the length of the field for a TD, if you don't have to.

One more first down would have put them inside two minutes. Two would have run the clock out. What do the analytics say?

Gannon is a pure opportunist. When he heard the 3D chess stuff he thought sure, that's me!

Just because the battered wives here were scared doesn't make it logical.
                              I'm pretty sure he meant they weren't getting the ball back if they kicked it deep.

I don't even know how one would check the analytics of this decision. I would guess the data would favor kicking deep, but not by as much as you might think. Again, the strategy checks out - take a shot at a surprise onsides kick, and basically guarantee yourself the final possession against a team that has failed to keep a single drive from reaching the red zone, and has allowed 5/6 to get inside the 10.

That being said, this is a strategy that no team in playoff in contention would ever employ. It's the type of thing a coach would never live down if unsuccessful. At the time I thought it was proof that they didn't even want to win.

I get it that no one likes Gannon, but I don't expect a head coach to go out there and say "yeah, my GM and owner don't care if we lose, so I just made a YOLO decision and it worked." If I'm upset at an Eagles DC after this game, it's the one whose defense allowed 32 first downs.

Comment

Working...
                              X