Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kliff Kingsbury interviewed for OC

Oh boy…

Who is going to walk into the viper pit and agree to coach this team?

Comment

Air Raid!

Oh, boy is right...

The complete history of the Air Raid offense has been recounted numerous times, I’ll leave the details to those texts (links at the bottom), but our main questions today are: From a certain…
      --------
      "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Originally posted by RSE View Post
        Who is going to walk into the viper pit and agree to coach this team?
        The offense is pretty much ready-made, as long as the QB hasn't turned into a pumpkin. If they're going to let the OC actually be an OC, it's going to be a desirable spot for a guy like Kingsbury (who runs a similar shotgun based, RPO heavy system... but does believe in a run game).

Pittsburgh is also interviewing him. Talent-wise, the Eagles have way more to offer. Especially for what Kingsbury does.

Comment

Originally posted by The Duck View Post

The offense is pretty much ready-made, as long as the QB hasn't turned into a pumpkin. If they're going to let the OC actually be an OC, it's going to be a desirable spot for a guy like Kingsbury (who runs a similar shotgun based, RPO heavy system... but does believe in a run game).

Pittsburgh is also interviewing him. Talent-wise, the Eagles have way more to offer. Especially for what Kingsbury does.
          https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/...-brian-johnson

“Are you tired of an Eagles offense that ranked 4th in RPO usage, 32nd in Motion, 32nd in under center rate, and 31st in designed roll out rate? Then maybe I could interest you in Kliff Kingsbury, a guy who couldn’t win games with Patrick Mahomes in college, who failed upwards into an NFL HC job, and who then pieced together an offense that ranked 8th in RPO usage, 30th in motion, 32nd in under center rate, and 27th in designed roll out rate.”

Comment

I'm not liking this one.

Comment

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/...-brian-johnson

“Are you tired of an Eagles offense that ranked 4th in RPO usage, 32nd in Motion, 32nd in under center rate, and 31st in designed roll out rate? Then maybe I could interest you in Kliff Kingsbury, a guy who couldn’t win games with Patrick Mahomes in college, who failed upwards into an NFL HC job, and who then pieced together an offense that ranked 8th in RPO usage, 30th in motion, 32nd in under center rate, and 27th in designed roll out rate.”
              I know. He also did some decent things with a QB who needed a video game clause in his contract. He's not exactly what I want, he's another spread offense guy, but he does run the ball and knows how to use RBs in the passing game.

BGN is kind of the special ed class of football sites (read the comments there, it's pretty obvious). "Couldn't win with Patrick Mahomes" is a typical bullshit line for them. Was Texas Tech ever supposed to win anything? What do they have, like one Big 12 title in 20 years? If you wanted to fluff Kingsbury, you could just as easily give him credit for recruiting Mahomes and developing him into an upper first-round pick. They actually had a very good offense and the worst defense in the Big 12... the offense is the reason Kingsbury "failed up" into the NFL.

There are some decent metrics that mitigate what BGN cherry-picked there. And we don't know how much Kingsbury needed to scale down the playbook in Arizona due to a QB who wouldn't/couldn't/didn't study it. You'd also need to look at what he did at USC and see what he learned from his time in Arizona.

Again, the dude isn't one of my top choices. But I don't think he's the disaster BGN is making him out to be. I think he'd be an improvement over Sirianni/Johnson or whoever was running the offense in 2023. And I leave some room for the guy to grow as a coach since his time in Phoenix.

Comment

Sirianni and Kingsbury look like they were separated at birth.

People say, oh, we can’t fire another head coach after three years. We’ll just be another one of “those” franchises. Earth to bootlickers: we are one of those franchises. We’ll get guys like Kingsbury in who are desperate for one more opportunity as opposed to real hot offensive coordinator. As my old football coach would say, this is bullshit fellas, BULLSHIT.

Comment

Have to agree with The Duck that this offense is ready-made for any OC. I think its a desirable job.

I know I'm a bootlicker but I really don't think we are all of a sudden one of "those" franchises. 3 of the last 4 HC hires went to the Super Bowl. I'd prefer to win it more often, but they're a long way from being Washington. I'd say they're the best-run franchise in the division, if that counts for anything.

Contradicting myself because I'm not sure about Kliff, but the BGN article confuses me a little. The complaint about a lack of rollouts just gives me Wentz flashbacks. Jalen's numbers are much better from inside the pocket than outside. I also thought people liked RPOs. They weren't as good this year but they're an element of the offense that should stick around.

Comment

Yeah, the RPOs and the lack of rollouts are selling points. Unless they've grown attached to the roll right and chuck it into the stands play that most of us have nightmares about, I really don't see what BGN was getting at in cherry-picking those two stats.

I'm not going to pretend to be a Kingsbury expert, but I do live in Phoenix, and I saw what went down here. Kyler was a coach killer that the organization was 100% committed to. It was a tough spot for a first time head coach, but those are the breaks. KK sold them on Kyler Murray as Mahomes 2.0 and they bought all into the pitch. I guess nobody was aware of his aversion to playbooks, or his obsessive passion for Fortnite. Whatever. Steve Keim's lousy drafting, his Snyder-esque penchant for filling in the roster with past-their-prime stars, and a lot of injuries played as much of a role in the Cardinals' 2021 collapse as Kingsbury's offense did. They're a bottom-five organization in the NFL, they do bottom-five type shit.

Like I said, he's not what I want, because I don't want a spread offense. But BGN's dorkometrics on why he's no good are bogus. If Sirianni and Roseman are set on running this type of scheme (and they are), I'd much rather have Kingsbury than another first time coordinator. I think Jalen, for all his personality quirks, is a better student of the game than Kyler is on his best day, so I think KK could be very successful as an OC in a better organization, running a much better offense than he ever had in Glendale.

Comment

Sirianni and Kingsbury look like they were separated at birth.

People say, oh, we can’t fire another head coach after three years. We’ll just be another one of “those” franchises. Earth to bootlickers: we are one of those franchises.
                      I know I've never said that. I wanted Sirianni fired. But that's not happening. I'm just adapting to the reality of the situation.

I think they could do a lot worse than Kingsbury and Fangio. If they go with the Houston QB coach instead and put (what should be) a championship quality offense in the hands of another rookie play caller, I'm not going to be as forgiving.

Comment

No you didn’t say that. Mine was a general rant.

Comment

Ffs please just bring someone in from KS tree ffs. Kliff is ass. Notice the NFCCG has shanahan himself and one of his disciples (Ben Johnson). Bring in someone who will maximize the roster on O. It was criminal how BJ under utilized Swift and Goedart.

Comment

Kellen Moore sounds alright to me.

Comment

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
                              Kellen Moore sounds alright to me.
                              Me too. This team won 11 games, 6 of them against playoff teams, with two rookies who were in way over their heads. I just want real coordinators who don't need on-the-job training. I'm not real picky about it.

Fangio and Moore work for me.

Correction: Desai wasn't a rookie. He was a DC in Chicago. Just a not a very good one.
                              Last edited by The Duck; 01-26-2024, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X