Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Common stuff here that's hard to find in other places.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common stuff here that's hard to find in other places.

A number of years ago, a colleague of mine went to New Zealand to work. I saw the person after a few years and they told me one thing they missed about the US was pickles. Pickles! Apparently they are hard to find in New Zealand.

Last summer, I was in Uruguay and in a supermarket. I figure I'll eat peanut butter and jelly for breakfast instead of going out every morning. The supermarket had a vast assortment of jams, jelly, fruit preserves etc. But i couldn't find any peanut butter! I ask my local friend who I was shopping with about it and he says "That's a little hard to find here, it's kind of a specialty item.". This despite the fact that peanuts are grown in Uruguay. Pretty much the only peanut butter you can get is imported.

Have you ever encountered anything like this on trips out of the country or in another area within the US?
    --------
    "We choose to go to the moon."

Mary and I were in Paris 5-6 years ago. Mary forgot to take conditioner with her. There was a small drug store across the street from our hotel They had a nice assortment of shampoo, along with other personal care items. Most of the labeling was in French only, so I was trying to translate what they had. I finally gave up and asked the people working there. They had no idea what conditioner was. I left the store and asked at the hotel if they knew what conditioner is. Again, no clue. It seems hair conditioner is not a standard item in France. I guess you don't need it if you don't wash your hair as often as we Americans do.

Comment

Magnum XXXL condoms are just so hard to find these days.

Comment

I can never find corn dogs in Beijing. Or clean air. But bbq'd frogs are plentiful.
        DB

Comment

Every place I have ever been seems to have some variation of sausage.
          --------
          "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

I had trouble finding Cuban cigars in Ireland but I always found nice big ones in Paris for a good price.

Comment

Good luck in Singapore finding shareable tatter tots while on a sexcation

Comment

Gun violence.

Comment

Irony
                  DB

Comment

Being a yankee (lived in SC for 40+ years) I miss a good bakery (not the ones in supermarkets) and diners

Comment

Pop Tarts!!!

Comment

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
                        Pop Tarts!!!
                        Not to Overbrook this thread, but I was watching the US Olympic marathon trials and they mentioned that one of the runners ate pop tarts before every marathon. I sort of get the carb need, but pop tarts?
                        DB

Comment

Sort of related, but I had an Icelandic friend visit here who was fascinated by squirrels. She took pictures of them the whole time she was here

Comment

Cold beer in UK was the most obvious to me. Real toilets in India.
                            "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

American Spirit cigarettes don't exist in Spain. Fortunately, I discovered all-natural Pueblo cigarettes which were awesome (and 4 euro per pack), so it worked out.

Comment

Working...
                              X