Well we just lost one of the good ones RIP Richard Betts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well we just lost one of the good ones RIP Richard Betts

I was fortunate to have caught the Allmans a lot in my touring days..my stubs say 29 shows,,but I think I might have lost a ticket or 2
    Dickey Betts was always one of those inspirational Musicians,,he could write..Play,,Sing...Guy was great at what he did.. After they forced Dickey out..I believe I never saw them again..Not sure about Woodstock 94....Tons of great memories...Jammin with the greats now.

https://variety.com/2024/music/news/...st-1235975041/
    Last edited by TRENT; 04-18-2024, 04:00 PM.
    OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
    "BFTR"

Yeah saw that - bummer
    "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

Originally posted by Riccardo View Post
      Yeah saw that - bummer
      but imagine having that life, and making it to 80,,,those guy party ed HARRRRRD~! His son Duane is playing Dickey's 57 Goldtop,,,It sounds amazing still to this day...The boys have/ the Allman Betts band,,, carrying on the music.
      OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
      "BFTR"

Comment

Tonight's cigar music.

Comment

Yeah saw that - bummer
          Did you know he lives here?

I could take a bike to his house. My daughter’s friends were practicing on a row team along the bay a few years back and apparently Mrs. Betts was offended and waved a shotgun at them. She made the news.

Comment

Originally posted by Drama Queen View Post

Did you know he lives here?

I could take a bike to his house. My daughter’s friends were practicing on a row team along the bay a few years back and apparently Mrs. Betts was offended and waved a shotgun at them. She made the news.
            No did not know that. We saw Greg Allman's son playing around halloween in Bradenton's village of the arts a few years ago. I think Dickie Bett's son was with them too
            "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

Dickie Betts and Lenny Kravitz invited my (first) wife backstage after a show the two of them did.

Comment

Originally posted by The Duck View Post
                Tonight's cigar music.

Liz Reed! Liz Reed!

Comment

Originally posted by RSE View Post

Liz Reed! Liz Reed!
                  In memory of...Maybe his best. That album was in our basement in 71,,I was just a kid.
                  Last edited by TRENT; 04-19-2024, 12:56 PM.
                  OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
                  "BFTR"

Comment

RIP Dickie.

I have a lot to say about this but I have one small personal experience to share...

I was the promoter for his last performance.

He hadn't played in awhile and I had been talking to his son Duane and Dickies agent about having Dickie play. Duane wanted to play with his dad. Dickie had been practicing. I expressed sincere concern that he was going to embarrass himself bc it was common knowledge that Dickies brain was blown from years of booze and cocaine and the subsequent health issues. The agent was a real fn douche bag about the entire thing.

At the end of the day, I thought Dickie returning to the festival for what we assumed would be one of his last performances would be impactful and I booked it.

Leading up to it, Dickie played a show and some video got on YouTube. It was an absolute disaster. Couldn't play. I addressed it and told everyone involved that it was OK if Dickie bowed out. Id still pay him if he just made an appearance and didn't play. They insisted.

He played. Total disaster. Embarrassing. Couldn't play.

Standing ovation. 15,000 people.

In dressing room after, tears in Dickie and Duanes eyes. Hugs. Gratitude.

One of the most fulfilling moments of my career. An absolute disaster onstage. But delivering a moment for the Betts family and all the ABB fans was truly special. And it means so much more for me now that I'm a father.

I only knew blown out Dickie but I would have loved to know prime time Ramblin Man Dickie.

As IG would say, remain legendary Dickie.
                    WANGNUTIAN. (pronounced wang-nooshan, martian)

Comment

that was great story, thanks for sharing..
                      I met the band one time,,Not as intimate by any means..My college buddy was booking the Bands for Montclair College in upstate NJ in the late 80's,,after playing the gig; the road crew asked me to help with the Breakdown,,So I put "the Snake" away along with the Soundboard of course....I'm too fucking small to handle stacks ect,,I got to meet Dicky, Greg, and Butch,,,was awesome,,Just a hello and have a good ride,,they were on the bus and gone,,,,Fond memories.
                      Last edited by TRENT; 04-20-2024, 06:04 PM.
                      OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
                      "BFTR"

Comment

No did not know that. We saw Greg Allman's son playing around halloween in Bradenton's village of the arts a few years ago. I think Dickie Bett's son was with them too
                        Greg Allman lived on Anna Maria Island for a very long time. I’m sure his son grew up here.

Comment

some pretty good stories in this thread, especially yours D.

You have me beat by 28 times Trent, but my story is a little similar to yours. The one time I saw them was the only time I ever won a radio show contest. It was at Cornell’s infamous Barton hall. Got to watch from the side of the stage and say hello.

RIP

--------
                          "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

This was a GREAT thread. Thanks!

Comment

Here's what the ABB band sounded like when I started to get out to shows....Goldie still looks great! This concert is close to 3.5 hrs long if you can find it.

Last edited by TRENT; 04-26-2024, 04:17 PM.
                              OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
                              "BFTR"

Comment

Working...
                              X