Is Shipley better than Gainwell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Shipley better than Gainwell?

That's the real question there, IMO. The bar to clear is not that high.
    --------
    "We choose to go to the moon."

… and does he bring anything different?

Comment

I think I heard one of the dorks say Shipley wasn't that good in pass protection, which could be a real problem if true.
      --------
      "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
        I think I heard one of the dorks say Shipley wasn't that good in pass protection, which could be a real problem if true.
        Swift had a problem in pass protection as well.

Why not bring in a power back? For a few years, it seemed like Scott was the only guy who could bring some power to break tackles.

Comment

No he’s not better than Gainwell. Yes he had problems in pass protection in college. When I say he’s going to look like Reno Mahe or Lorenzo Booker out there I mean it.
          Last edited by RSE; 04-29-2024, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drama Queen View Post
            … and does he bring anything different?
            Return ability, with some straight line speed to finish. Which brings us back to Reno Mahe (with a better 40 time).

Comment

I don't like to complain about a late 4th round pick, but Shipley seems like a guy who wasn't even great at anything in college. Seems like his ceiling is like a 90-carry guy.

Comment

Shipley was one of the Eagles scouts red star players - high intangibles. I only saw him play a couple times and thought he looked really good his junior year. It was hard not to think of McCaffery. Not so much his senior season.
                Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

How about this novel idea: If the guy is not good in pass protection, don't put him in on passing downs!!

I watched a pretty long highlight video on this guy. He can definitely put his foot in the ground and change direction. I also saw him patient at the LOS waiting for his blocks to develop and then he hit the hole well. (like I do) He also seemed to have this ability to make guys miss when he got out in the open field. The kind of stuff that you can't teach people. Now, teach him the stuff that you CAN teach people and we'll see what he can do. Right now based on a highlight reel of his best plays put me down for cautiously optimistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Two Gap Penetrator View Post
                    How about this novel idea: If the guy is not good in pass protection, don't put him in on passing downs!!

I watched a pretty long highlight video on this guy. He can definitely put his foot in the ground and change direction. I also saw him patient at the LOS waiting for his blocks to develop and then he hit the hole well. (like I do) He also seemed to have this ability to make guys miss when he got out in the open field. The kind of stuff that you can't teach people. Now, teach him the stuff that you CAN teach people and we'll see what he can do. Right now based on a highlight reel of his best plays put me down for cautiously optimistic.
                    His patience jumps off the screen when you watch him. Ball security and contact balance seem to be his big weaknesses. Both can be fixed with coaching and strength & conditioning. The good news is, he's only 21 years old.

Comment

Shipley cannot move a pile. That should not be an issue in Philadelphia, but Dabo used to use him that way a lot on third and fourth and short, and many Clemson fans got down on him for that. In his defense, Clemson’s offensive line has been shit since Lawrence and Etienne’s sophomore year; Dabo has simply whiffed his recruiting so badly.

Comment

Originally posted by Two Gap Penetrator View Post

That was beautiful.

Comment

Working...
                        X