Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JFC

Originally posted by J_Cuz31 View Post
    But JD Drew got leas in St Louis than the Phillies offered. And he lost a year of service holding out.

That wasnt about money it was about his client not wanting to play in Philly.

Forget the past and youre condemned to repeat it.
    that was 1997. Phillies offered 2.6 mil, Boras demanded 10 mil and he ended up with 7 mil in St. Louis. Saying he missed a year of service time is at best a half-truth. He never finished his best/highest contract.
    Last edited by JuTMSY4; 02-27-2019, 01:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JuTMSY4 View Post
      that was 1997. Phillies offered 2.6 mil, Boras demanded 10 mil and he ended up with 7 mil in St. Louis. Saying he missed a year of service time is at best a half-truth. He never finished his best/highest contract.
      how so? he sat out a year and that was a year he did not get paid and added a year to the club control. also the phillies offered far more than reported. boras lied about their offer to save face as he will likely do this time around.
      "You'll get nothing and like it!" Judge Smails

Comment

• now you're just throwing shit at the wall

Originally posted by J_Cuz31 View Post
        how so? he sat out a year and that was a year he did not get paid and added a year to the club control. also the phillies offered far more than reported. boras lied about their offer to save face as he will likely do this time around.
        c'mon dude. Arguing about service time is suggesting that he would have had the same ETA in the majors.

Comment

• Per some guy on twitter, Giants management has gotten involved and they are talking about offering Harper a 10 year deal (it's been discussed by both parties apparently).

I'm ready to move on from Harper. Didn't work out. Oh well.

Now use some of that money to work on international scouting and player development.
          “I am going to literally sodomize you on the field of battle. I am going to have non-consensual sex with your face and your butt. Then I’m going after your wife and kid”

Comment

• Sure seems that way. I dunno, I'm ready for it to be over, one way or another, but I don't buy any steam until I see something real. It's just been quiet. Steve phillips (former Mutts GM/guy who banged an ESPN PA) says a source in the Phillies FO believes chances of Phillies signing him are remote.

If the Phillies didn't cheap out, it would be wise of them to leak their offer one way or another.

I was always hard on Monty for being cheap and an infamous part of the "we're a small market team." I thought Middleton was different but if he doesn't get it done here, he deserves all the ire.

Comment

• Randolph's most likely a lost cause, but the other 3 have serious potential IMO (especially Haseley who I suggest checking out, he's gotta sick hit tool).

Both my roommates are Boston guys and I've seen way too many Sox games Kimbrel's completely blown to want any part of him.

But regarding Harper - I really still think this "Harper doesn't wanna play in Philly" rhetoric is overblown. There are rumors that the Phils originally offered 9 years/$360 mill and then rescinded that offer once they knew the market wasn't even close to that. However, once Machado signed, Middleton lost a lot of his leverage, so now we're kinda back to square 1.

I will say this - if Harper in fact does not want to play in Philly and the reason for that is Kapler's wacky methodology, the Phils are going to have a tough time signing Trout, or any other FA for that matter.
              Last edited by SOS Crunchy; 02-27-2019, 03:40 PM.
              Larry and the Hipsters.

Comment

• Originally posted by JuTMSY4 View Post
                Sure seems that way. I dunno, I'm ready for it to be over, one way or another, but I don't buy any steam until I see something real. It's just been quiet. Steve phillips (former Mutts GM/guy who banged an ESPN PA) says a source in the Phillies FO believes chances of Phillies signing him are remote.

If the Phillies didn't cheap out, it would be wise of them to leak their offer one way or another.

I was always hard on Monty for being cheap and an infamous part of the "we're a small market team." I thought Middleton was different but if he doesn't get it done here, he deserves all the ire.
                I think phillips stole that tweet from someone else. There is a guy on twitter who is a sox fan that has a "source". his tweet from 16 hours ago said basically the same thing but that the phillies don't think their chances are remote. They are tired of the whole thing (apparently middleton got annoyed after flying out there this past weekend) and they are getting close to (if they haven't already) shifting away from Bryce and looking for pitching help.
                “I am going to literally sodomize you on the field of battle. I am going to have non-consensual sex with your face and your butt. Then I’m going after your wife and kid”

Comment

• Originally posted by SOS Crunchy View Post
                  Randolph's most likely a lost cause, but the other 3 have serious potential IMO (especially Haseley who I suggest checking out, he's gotta sick hit tool).

Both my roommates are Boston guys and I've seen way too many Sox games Kimbrel's completely blown to want any part of him.

But regarding Harper - I really still think this "Harper doesn't wanna play in Philly" rhetoric is overblown. There are rumors that the Phils originally offered 9 years/$360 mill and then rescinded that offer once they knew the market wasn't even close to that. However, once Machado signed, Middleton lost a lot of his leverage, so now we're kinda back to square 1.

I will say this - if Harper in fact does not want to play in Philly and the reason for that is Kapler's wacky methodology, the Phils are going to have a tough time signing Trout, or any other FA for that matter.
                  He has converted 91% of his save opportunities and has a career 1.91 ERA and 0.92 WHIP.

Those are better numbers than even Mariano Rivera (89%, 2.21, 1.00) so Kimbrel is arguably the most dominant closer in the history of the game.

What's not to like?
                  Last edited by 06hawkalum; 02-27-2019, 03:58 PM.

Comment

• Moniak has "serious potential"? He was the first pick overall and has 11 HRs in three years, strikes out a ton and doesn't get on base. He's been an unmitigated disaster. Hasely projects to be a 4th outfielder from most scouting reports I've seen, but who knows. The problem is the Phillies went for the next Christian Yellich (great hitting tool!)three drafts in a row, but were MIA for some reason when the real guy was available last year.

I'm not crazy about signing Kimbrel, but he's the second greatest closer ever and he will make the bullpen better. And it appears there will be plenty of Mr. Middleton's "stupid money" to spend, so I'd rather go after him than Keuchel (who I think will get rocked at CBP).

Comment

• They should have known Harper didn't want to play here from the get go. They should have went after Machado only. They could have lived with Nick Williams in RF this year and had better infield defense to go with a 162 games played guy who hits for better Avg.

Or if they really undervalued Machado they should have signed Corbin/Pollock.

There is no hindsight on Harper, they should have known in October if he didn't prefer it here and it's idiotic to beg him at all. Fuck that.
                      Last edited by Anthony; 02-27-2019, 03:59 PM.

Comment

• They could have signed Machado and Pollock/Brantley

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
                        They should have known Harper didn't want to play here from the get go. They should have went after Machado only. They could have lived with Nick Williams in RF this year and had better infield defense to go with a 162 games played guy who hits for better Avg.

Or if they really undervalued Machado they should have signed Corbin/Pollock.

There is no hindsight on Harper, they should have known in October if he didn't prefer it here and it's idiotic to beg him at all. Fuck that.
                        Would have been a great alternative. I think the Franco to Machado gap is smaller, I get why Harper is the bigger upgrade (vs. Williams), but both are such huge upgrades, it would have been easy.

Comment

• I am confused why Harper is getting SO MUCH attention. What has he even done for the Nationals besides provide a face for the Expos? Genuinely do not want this guy here.
                          Charismatic megafauna.

Comment

• Originally posted by HEREisAKERS View Post
                            I am confused why Harper is getting SO MUCH attention. What has he even done for the Nationals besides provide a face for the Expos? Genuinely do not want this guy here.
                            He does have a ton of talent but his hype, right now, is way bigger than actual production. Part of the issue is that Harper has been injured quite a bit.

Comment

• I think Moniak's best case is Michael Taylor right now. I'm a little higher on Haseley - he's got the arm, a little light on the power, but has some contact ability. It's just weird for someone that light hitting to be in RF (where he's going to end up in the majors). Maybe he sticks in CF? I don't see it.

Bohm looks good right now. I don't think he has the body to play 3rd long term, but many disagree with that. The power is legit.
                              Last edited by JuTMSY4; 02-27-2019, 05:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SOS Crunchy View Post
                                That's what worries me the most. If Coconuts scared him off with him the gluten-free analytical essential oils nutbaggery, we've got problems.

Fortunately, there's time to fix the problem before Trout hits the market.

Comment

Working...
                                X