The Ike Reese/Jon Marks show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ike Reese/Jon Marks show

It’s like a homeless mans version of PTI, with callers integrated. Both of them come off so insincere and over the top on their strong “takes”. I used to like Ike, but this radio shtick is terrible.

I'M FED UP WITH GARGANO'S OVER THE TOP FAKE ENTHUSIASM. HIS SCHTICK IS OLD TOO.
    "LIFE IS FULL OF 4TH AND 1 DECISIONS, CHOOSE YOUR NEXT CROSSROADS WISELY.

Comment

It's a wasteland. If the Supe was a high water mark of the last decade of sports radio in the City, we've already crashed and burned. Podcasts have basically gutted their daily content. There's live game and pre/post game coverage that has value and that's about it. Maybe some breaking news and quick reactions.

I've stopped daily driving and I basically never listen. The only time I do is to listen to the Phils if I'm in the car. Maybe if I drove daily, I'd still listen, but there's some much other good content out there, even the weekly sports pods produced locally, there's nothing these radio hacks can do.
      Last edited by JuTMSY4; 06-07-2019, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JuTMSY4 View Post
        It's a wasteland. If the Supe was a high water mark of the last decade of sports radio in the City, we've already crashed and burned. Podcasts have basically gutted their daily content. There's live game and pre/post game coverage that has value and that's about it. Maybe some breaking news and quick reactions.

I've stopped daily driving and I basically never listen. The only time I do is to listen to the Phils if I'm in the car. Maybe if I drove daily, I'd still listen, but there's some much other good content out there, even the weekly sports pods produced locally, there's nothing these radio hacks can do.
        I do commute daily, and I listen out of a lifelong habit more than anything else. You're right that none of it's good. I can't decide which station has a worse morning show. And MM hasn't prepared for a show in over a decade, he's become a cliche at this point.

Which local sports podcasts do you recommend? Spike's podcast with the brigade of woke soy boys pretending they know the NBA doesn't do anything for me. I don't know of any others.

Comment

The Athletic's podcast content is great, but they've realized it and they hid the Phils one behind their paywall and the Eagles one is about to go there (probably when the season starts). Honestly, I don't even care about the paywall, but making me use their app annoys me. I bet they'll be back to free (w/ ads) in about a year because I don't think it's worthwhile as limited content, but I'm not business expert on this stuff.

SB Nation's podcast network (The Good Phight/Hittin' season, Bleeding Green Nation, etc.) has some decent if, at times, amateur-ish (produced) content. However, BGN (Kist and Solak) honestly, is really well researched and intelligent for not really being pros. Brandon Lee Gowton is okay, but he doesn't bring much as he's not on a beat and not a numbers guy. I listen to Hittin' Season every week, but it's honestly gone down hill for me because I feel like I know as much about the Phils as those guys do - they're also a little too woke for me. I hear the NBC Sports podcast is pretty good.

I can't speak to the Sixers and Flyers pods, but they sound decent.

I'm not a stoolie, but I listen to Pardon My Take, which is better during football season, but probably the best current sports podcast.

Here's some others: https://www.phillyvoice.com/best-philly-podcasts-2018/

The other benefit to podcasts is that instead of just rolling calls and doing Gargano's fandom and "gimme your 5" schtick, it's focused content on news and daily/weekly happenings.
          Last edited by JuTMSY4; 06-07-2019, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rothdawg View Post
            I do commute daily, and I listen out of a lifelong habit more than anything else. You're right that none of it's good. I can't decide which station has a worse morning show. And MM hasn't prepared for a show in over a decade, he's become a cliche at this point.

Which local sports podcasts do you recommend? Spike's podcast with the brigade of woke soy boys pretending they know the NBA doesn't do anything for me. I don't know of any others.
            I LISTEN MIKEY MISS THE MOST, WHEN I'M NEAR A RADIO HE'S ON.
            "LIFE IS FULL OF 4TH AND 1 DECISIONS, CHOOSE YOUR NEXT CROSSROADS WISELY.

Comment

Riccardo's boy Josh Pinnis got canned in HOU and is still looking for gainful employment.

Comment

cataldi's show has really gotten shitty. between the same annoying callers and joe conklin's FUCKING BRUTAL trump bits I can't even listen to it unless it's football season.

absolute dog shit.

Comment

I agree on Pardon My Take ... generally good and sometimes great.

I also listen to LeBatard's show on ESPN Radio from 11-1 when I'm in the car or doing some shit that doesn't require so much concentration that I can't just tell Alexa to pop it on.

They do a lot of inside schtick that is hard to follow if you don't listen regularly, but they also do some more interesting and/or funnier takes than you hear from the general wasteland.

Like most here, my Philadelphia listening is pretty much limited to Ray Diddinger ... although I'll give the others a shot during football season mostly and particularly when there's a controversy.
                  Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

all great takes

Originally posted by slag View Post
                    I agree on Pardon My Take ... generally good and sometimes great.
                    Pretty much this. They lean out of the general BarStool/Dave Portnoy stuff because they know a huge chunk of the show's fans are disinterested and/or disgusted by that gang. I have my own PC/anti-PC takes, but I think Portnoy is disgusting and terrible, even if a huge part of that is just his schtick.

But overall, they pretty solid and reliable listening. This summer is going to be rough with one of the hosts having a kid - they've already admitted to putting a number of interviews in the can for that purpose.

I also listen to LeBatard's show on ESPN Radio from 11-1 when I'm in the car or doing some shit that doesn't require so much concentration that I can't just tell Alexa to pop it on.

They do a lot of inside schtick that is hard to follow if you don't listen regularly, but they also do some more interesting and/or funnier takes than you hear from the general wasteland.
                    I hear LeBatard does a best-of podcast (1 hour condensed from his show or something?) which is apparently very solid.

Like most here, my Philadelphia listening is pretty much limited to Ray Diddinger ... although I'll give the others a shot during football season mostly and particularly when there's a controversy.
                    What's funny is, Ray (probably for his own sake) is only on, on the weekends, and when I'm running errands, I agree, he's worth listening too. Mostly because he's intelligent and also intimately familiar with his audience. However, he's also not forced to do as much crap as the daily drive time guys. Basically, Ray gets to do the podcast format on the radio. And somehow these other producers haven't figured that out yet.
                    Last edited by JuTMSY4; 06-07-2019, 01:24 PM.

Comment

You mean you don't like the "Say What" guy and hearing about Ave Graham's drinking habits every fifteen minutes!?

Comment

I've never given Pardon My Take a chance for that very reason. I abhor Portnoy and pretty much anyone who thinks he's funny or original. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Comment

Ava Graham's voice gives me the douche chills. That whole station needs a lesson in nepotism and cronyism.
                          WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Working...
                          X