No announcement yet.

Not sure I understand this Matt Barkley thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The recent history of USC QB's gives me.....

....a liquid nitrogen shot right to the vageen.

Comment

I hate USC QB's but its impossible to argue the value the Eagles got at 98. They now have 2 young QB's in their stable.

Comment

Originally posted by Two Gap Penetrator View Post
        He doesn't seem to be the right fit for Chip Kelly's offense. The guy isn't a running QB. I'm not crazy about this guy. I guess I'm going on the game they played against Syracuse a couple of years ago where they exposed some of his weaknesses. (one of Matt's worst games) The one thing I do like about the guy is his toughness. He doesn't seem to get rattled AT ALL. Kinda has that Tom Brady quality where he just pops back up like a robot like nothing happened after he gets hammered. He also can throw ALL the throws. You won't see any rifled worm-burners at a receiver that's 7 yards away. Nice touch. He also looks great in the red zone. He made a big mistake staying in school because SC's offensive line was sh*t last year and it hurt Barkley's stock. Oh yeah, his footwork is real nice. Very fluid into his drop (I guess that's a testament to his mental toughness because he just doesn't seem to get happy feet) and he knows how to slide and avoid people and kep his eyes downfield AND he's not taking off (which I LOVE). Stay in there and be a QB. He could be good, but Kelly will have to adjust.
        It was a good value pick, but Barkley wasn't impressive in college. Being in socal, I was force fed USC games. This guy was horrible in the 4th quarter of games. Romo like with the turnovers.

USC looked like shit in all of its big games. Maybe it was the coaching by Kiffin, but Barkley never looked like a franchise qb.
        500 internet fights, that's the number I figured when I first joined igglephans. 500 internet fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate internet-tough guy. You need them for experience, to develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then...after...you realize that's what you are.

Comment

It was a good value pick

Is this the mantra du jour for picking another QB instead of a CB OR Safty or any defensive player that is truly needed. Value pick: Picking someone after the third round that doesn't fill a glaring need.

Comment

After being picked I read a little bit about him. He seems like a great person who's done some humanitarian work. He could have his choice of women but he's still with the same girl he's been dating since he was 16. He first met her when he was 5.

Comment

Barkley will be a nice back up to Foles - Vick is just hanging on and once the offense is put in at camp and they watch him run it -- my guess its bye bye dog killer

He just does not have the ability to read and react. I wish he did. I would fit this offense nicely. I think the possibility slim as it might be for 3.5 million guaranteed it was worth a shot. That said he will be cut or traded before end of camp.

I cant wait to see Foles operate in an offense that actually really does fit him and Shady oh my goodness he was made for the read option.

Eagles could have one very nice offense this season.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
                Not that I think they had it in mind when they did it, but IMO it was easier to take a shot at Barkely in the 4th because they signed Vick.

I'm not saying Barkley will be one, but they are paying fourth round money to take a look at whether he actually is a franchise guy, as he was touted last year.

And the money they don't have to pay him they can gamble with on a veteran in Vick.
                I'll really be interested to see how Kelly employs the zone read at the pro level if he ends up going with Foles or Barkley. Maybe it'll be used sparingly, or only at times when formation and defensive alignment make the QB run unnecessary. Or maybe it'll be combined with jet screens and stuff like that to keep outside linebackers from pursuing. Or maybe there's some wrinkles with two backs that'll make it work.

I really have no idea. I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with.

-AE

Comment

Originally posted by 3rd & Inches View Post
                  It was a good value pick, but Barkley wasn't impressive in college. Being in socal, I was force fed USC games. This guy was horrible in the 4th quarter of games. Romo like with the turnovers.

USC looked like shit in all of its big games. Maybe it was the coaching by Kiffin, but Barkley never looked like a franchise qb.
                  I hate SC, but even still I have to feel a little bad for what Kiffin's done to that program. Barkley was progressing fine (with Pete Carrol) until Kiffin showed up and ffed everything up. The play calling was awful and the schemes often failed. I think there's still a strong possibility we could get the Barkley of the Pete Carrol years instead of the sucky Kiffin Barkley, and hopefully he can end up being something special.
                  Last edited by ishimonster; 04-29-2013, 06:40 PM.

Comment

I remember reading stories last year how Kelly influenced NE's offense. Obviously a running qb is not required.
                    It IS About Me Asshole
                    -----------------------
                    Fuck off, moron. - Kelly Green

Comment

Are those the same years lienart and sanchez got?

Comment

Originally posted by tjl88 View Post
                        I remember reading stories last year how Kelly influenced NE's offense. Obviously a running qb is not required.
                        Kelly helped the Patriots with the one-word no-huddle system. They don't run his spread offense.
                        Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

Originally posted by 3rd & Inches View Post

Oh, god... if the Eagles end up with the new "Romo"...

Comment

Working...
                          X