The Phils are around .500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Franks N Beans View Post
    Cliff lee has a partial no-trade that blocks him from 21 teams (teams not disclosed). And get this- because Lee has this "Partial-no trade", and he was signed AFTER Halladay, Utley, and Howard, the 3 of them automatically receive the same incentive. It's called "most favored nation" clause.

The site that describes it is here:
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/no-tr...rade-deadline/

Ruben is reaping what he sowed. These veterans were signed to ridiculous contracts and now he can't get out of them. Don't expect much in return. The cupboard will soon be bare.
    But what you left out is that it's up to Lee to use that clause if he prefers. Plus if Lee has a chance to go to a contender why would he stay on this Titanic?

Comment

Originally posted by Two Gap Penetrator View Post
      Basically a .500 ballclub. I'm afraid it's over for this group. Get what you can for some of these guys and move on with youth. It was fun while it lasted.
      A team like Boston would be a good trade partner for Lee. You can ask, hold on and hope, but if they can get Bradley, I'd be happy, then get a strong pitching prospect and a throw in A/AA player. Phillies need more quality youth in the OF.

I'd try for 3B Garin Cecchini and then maybe OF Brentz as the primary return OF.

Comment

Letting RAJ trade anyone...

is like giving them away. He needs to be fired before any other major decision is made. Everything he touches dies.

Comment

Why does he always have to be the one

to trade guys for less than they're worth? Lee and Pence, for example, especially after he overpays to get them.
          John Erlichman, one of President Richard Nixon's closest aides, has admitted America's "War on Drugs" was a hoax designed to vilify and disrupt "the antiwar left and black people" when it was launched in 1971.

Comment

He's mastered the art of buying high and selling low

Originally posted by Loki View Post
            to trade guys for less than they're worth? Lee and Pence, for example, especially after he overpays to get them.
            The Art of the Fail.

Comment

Paps need to be the #1 guy out of here

The problem will be his contract. Plus Howard's contract will not take on any buyers as well.

Comment

Originally posted by wynnron123:1706156
                The problem will be his contract. Plus Howard's contract will not take on any buyers as well.
                You don't think many teams wouldn't sign cliff lee to what amounts to a 3.5 year 75 mil contract?

Comment

Bring on the Butter and Jelly!

They are TOAST!
                  "Never Look Back, Something May Be Gaining On You."

Comment

Howard's not going anywhere

Originally posted by wynnron123 View Post
                    They're stuck with him until the end of time. The only consolation is that his days at clean-up are numbered.

Papelbon will have some value for a contender, closers always do, but his stupid deal will limit any return for him. The Phillies will be grateful just to shed the cap space.

Comment

I think Lee is gone if the Phils sell.

Originally posted by JuTMSY4 View Post
                      You don't think many teams wouldn't sign cliff lee to what amounts to a 3.5 year 75 mil contract?
                      Lee is our biggest Chip now that we've signed Hamels up for the long-haul. I think the offer has to blow you away, because the objective with such a payroll has to be to win next year.

Lee is a top 10-15 pitcher in the game, and teams are likely going to be dialing away to see what it would take. I think we could snag a nice haul from someone like Boston.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jo...-i-want-to-win

Comment

Wait, so now you think teams will trade the farm for lee? I thought before you said his contract was an albatross?

Comment

I agree

Originally posted by The Duck View Post
                          They're stuck with him until the end of time. The only consolation is that his days at clean-up are numbered.

Papelbon will have some value for a contender, closers always do, but his stupid deal will limit any return for him. The Phillies will be grateful just to shed the cap space.
                          Unfortunately we are stuck with this albatross. Even if the Philies were to eat up half of Howard's contract in a trade there wouldn't be a good return imo.

Comment

Originally posted by JuTMSY4 View Post
                            Wait, so now you think teams will trade the farm for lee? I thought before you said his contract was an albatross?
                            Re read my posts again. . I never mentioned anything about Lee's salary only his no clause option. Lee is the best thing we have now if we sell. I said Papelbon and Howard's contracts are anchors and dismal.

Comment

misread - thought you were talking about Lee.

Comment

This thread cracks me up.

Everyone was bitching about how the Phillies didn't have the balls to "go for it" and Amaro does this and now he's a piece of shit and you knew it all along.
                                Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Working...
                                X