Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear NSA...Fuck You

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...on-court-order

The court order appears to explain the numerous cryptic public warnings by two US senators, Ron Wyden and Mark Udall, about the scope of the surveillance activities.

For roughly two years, the two Democrats have been stridently advising the public that the US government is relying on "secret legal interpretations" to claim surveillance powers so broad that the American public would be "stunned" to learn of the kind of domestic spying being conducted.

Because those activities are classified, the senators, both members of the Senate intelligence committee, have been prevented from specifying which domestic surveillance programs they find so alarming.

I don't agree with everything Bill Maher says, but I got few a laughs out of this and agree with the basic point.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vid...o_protect.html
    Last edited by slag; 06-06-2013, 08:45 AM.
    Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
      I don't agree with everything Bill Maher says, but I got a laugh out of the last line and agree with the basic point.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vid...o_protect.html

First Chris Mathews, now Bill Maher, what is the world coming to? lol

Comment

Count me among the hordes who don't give a fuck about this issue. The intent of digital tracking seems clear enough to me. Electronic surveillance has been a reality since J Edgar Hoover days.

Taking the leap that this leads to limiting freedom is one I won't take. Our boring lives are not important enough to matter.

It's amusing how over a billion people around the world voluntarily give up their privacy every day in this digital age, yet are outraged over these basic security measures.

Comment

Your ability to outdo previous levels of supercilious asininity is astounding.

Comment

If I ever met the Ref, he would the most bourgeois person I'd ever met. I don't even think it'd be close.

Comment

hahah

Pretty safe bet that ref was outraged about this from 2002 thru 2008...
              "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

Ugh...

Originally posted by The Ref View Post
                Count me among the hordes who don't give a fuck about this issue. The intent of digital tracking seems clear enough to me. Electronic surveillance has been a reality since J Edgar Hoover days.

Taking the leap that this leads to limiting freedom is one I won't take. Our boring lives are not important enough to matter.

It's amusing how over a billion people around the world voluntarily give up their privacy every day in this digital age, yet are outraged over these basic security measures.
                Yeah, who cares about probable cause, right? Wouldn't it be cool if the FBI just randomly kicked your door in and raided your home in the interest of national security?
                "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

Originally posted by RSE View Post
                  If I ever met the Ref, he would the most bourgeois person I'd ever met. I don't even think it'd be close.
                  probably. But I'm not very. Outside of driving a prius, listening to npr, eating vegetarian, and drinking wine.

but mostly I'm far too boring to draw any interest from the NSA or any other agency. So are most people.

Comment

Originally posted by Melchior View Post
                    Yeah, who cares about probable cause, right? Wouldn't it be cool if the FBI just randomly kicked your door in and raided your home in the interest of national security?
                    Right. As if that happens to 315 million Americans.

Seriously. You people get your panties in a bunch over nonsensical, cartoonish, scenarios that have no basis in any sort of reality. You project this nonsense as a probable outcome of the Verizon phone tracking story. It's laughably silly.

And by the way, if the FBI wants to kick my door in, randomly or selectively, there isn't a fucking thing I could do about it. But somehow I'm not spending a lot of time worrying about that sort of thing.
                    Last edited by The Ref; 06-06-2013, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Seriously. You people get your panties in a bunch over nonsensical, cartoonish, scenarios that have no basis in any sort of reality. You project this nonsense as a probable outcome of the Verizon phone tracking story. It's laughably silly.

And by the way, if the FBI wants to kick my door down, randomly or selectively, there isn't a fucking thing I could do about it. But somehow I'm not spending a lot of time worrying about that sort of thing.
                      I'm just making sure you understand that subpoenaing phone records with no PC is the same thing as a warrant-less wiretap or search of property.

Would you be cool with a cop pulling you out of your car and searching it with no PC just to make sure you weren't transporting terrorists? I'm not really sure how you're okay with this...
                      "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

Hmmm... I thought you looked like this

Do you honk at other prius owners too??
                        "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

And by the way, if the FBI wants to kick my door in, randomly or selectively, there isn't a fucking thing I could do about it. But somehow I'm not spending a lot of time worrying about that sort of thing.
                          Presumably the Fourth Amendment wasn't written simply to protect criminals and those who have something to hide.

Comment

You don't get it ... Ref doesn't care if the current guys take a shit on the 4th Amendment ... he knows nice guys like them won't do it for anything other than truth, justice and the American way.

Comment

Originally posted by Melchior View Post
                              I'm just making sure you understand that subpoenaing phone records with no PC is the same thing as a warrant-less wiretap or search of property.

Would you be cool with a cop pulling you out of your car and searching it with no PC just to make sure you weren't transporting terrorists? I'm not really sure how you're okay with this...
                              No. It's not the same thing as physical search of property like your car. One is an inconvenience that causes me to get out of my car. And I'm only in my car when I have someplace I need to go. I don't drive for fun. Listening to my boring phone calls (which I rarely make anymore) or reading my boring emails, or my equally boring tweets, or my incredibly boring facebook page does not impact me in any way, shape or form. I wouldn't even know it's going on.

The point is I DO NOT MATTER!!! I suppose, unlike many of you who live lives of enormous intrigue and importance, mine is a life of the most insubstantial import to national, regional, or local security.

I don't give a fuck if they monitor me 24/7. I don't give a fuck because I know they won't bother to do that. So why should I bother to care?

Comment

Working...
                              X