No home field advantage at the Linc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greenstealth View Post
    It's been said here a million times. Completely different atmospheres. The linc is more or less a morgue compared to how the vet was.
    Just because the experience is worse for the fans doesn't mean it's necessarily worse for the team. And, at least under Reid, it appears that the stadium didn't mean much.
    --
    Your Retarded

Comment

All you are saying here is that the home field advantage is not the only reason why a team wins or loses ... well, duh.

Comparing W/L records to measure a home field advantage is using stats in a vacuum.

The quality of the teams are different from year to year, a bad call can cost a good team a home game, a shitty team may have a crappy record but won some games because of the home field advantage, blah blah blah ... it's apples to oranges.

A home field advantage is something you feel more than anything else.

I've been to both places ... there's no comparison, the so-called 12th man at the Vet had more energy than the one at the Stinc.
      Last edited by slag; 06-17-2013, 01:26 PM.
      Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
        All you are saying here is that the home field advantage is not the only reason why a team wins or loses ... well, duh.

Comparing W/L records to measure a home field advantage is using stats in a vacuum.

The quality of the teams are different from year to year, a bad call can cost a good team a home game, a shitty team may have a crappy record but won some games because of the home field advantage, blah blah blah ... it's apples to oranges.

A home field advantage is something you feel more than anything else.

I've been to both places ... there's no comparison, the so-called 12th man at the Vet had more energy than the one at the Stinc.
        If all those other factors mean so much to why a team wins or loses, maybe homefiled advantage doesn't really mean that much?

I think that that the "fan experience" vs. the "player experience" very likely differs with regard to a home game.

Can fans improve things for the home team? Was the "experience" for the fans better at the Vet than at the Linc?

Sure, but results show that at least during Reid's tenure, playing at home didn't mean a whole lot in regard to results. And we're not talking about a small sample size, we're talking about 12 years i.e. 96 regular season home games and 96 regular season away games.

I'm not trying to say that the Linc is the greatest stadium, or better than the Vet, but that I think the homefield advantage importance may be dubious.
        --
        Your Retarded

Comment

Teams were intimidated coming into the Vet for a variety of reasons
          Phillyfan is one of them, concrete carpet was another

Opposing teams didn't bring their wives / girlfriends to the Vet, so they were getting some fresh poontang instead of the same ole same ole
          Homefield advantage still has a place in Vegas betting, although each stadium has a slightly different number and it changes over the season

Miami / AZ in September are brutal and cold weather stadiums in December/ January test the mettle of the visitors.
          The NFL has gone out of its way to sterilize and minimize the differences in stadia and they set the schedule the same way- to level the playing field

Here's a link to an article that looked at the different HFA's as the season rolls along. The biggest delta in this study was the weather, not the fans

http://www.twominutewarning.com/hfa.htm

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
            There is no such thing as home field advantage.

Comment

I can't state this too many other ways ... it cannot be quantified.

But it has some impact in my, and many other fans', players', and coaches' opinions.

The best I can do is tell you that I "felt" the crowd more at the Vet than I do at the Stinc.

And no one I know who has had extensive exposure to both venues disagrees.
              Last edited by slag; 06-17-2013, 03:12 PM.

Comment

But it has some impact in my, and many other fans', players', and coaches' opinions.

The best I can do is tell you that I "felt" the crowd more at the Vet than I do at the Stinc.

And no one I know who has had extensive experience at both venues disagrees.
                I also think familiarity with the placement of those blasted base cutouts helped the Eagles at the Vet.

Also crowd noise is a definite factor. There is a reason opposing coaches were pissed off about the Vikings piping in noise in the Metrodome.
                --------
                "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Didn't help Rodney Peete.

Comment

Didn't help Rodney Peete.
                    Is that how he hurt his patellar tendon? I didn't see that game.
                    --------
                    "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

The Vet intimidated opposing players,,they feared the concrete Monster

I recall interviews with players,,saying they would walk the carpet on the field,,count the nails holding the carpet down near the pitchers mound,,,The Vet was a great homefield for the Eagles,,then the Linc came around with the SBL's and the blue collar fans were slowly removed,,,its passive, quiet, and very comfy for the Visiting teams......Give me the Vet any day,,,I miss the place//:D
                      Last edited by TRENT; 06-17-2013, 03:49 PM.
                      OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
                      "BFTR"

Comment

And no one I know who has had extensive exposure to both venues disagrees.
                        You saying you felt the crowd doesn't apply to what I'm saying.

So, it's great you "felt it" and like I said I don't deny the fan experience invariably (i.e. what you felt) is different between venues, but apparently the level to which the Eagles and their opponents "felt it" is fairly negligible compared to all of the other variables involved.

Therefore the idea of there being some sort of discernible homefield advantage is dubious because even if it exists, it's relatively inconsequential.

Maybe it will be different with Chip Kelly.
                        --
                        Your Retarded

Comment

Originally posted by PackWest View Post
                          Teams were intimidated coming into the Vet for a variety of reasons
                          Phillyfan is one of them, concrete carpet was another

Opposing teams didn't bring their wives / girlfriends to the Vet, so they were getting some fresh poontang instead of the same ole same ole
                          Homefield advantage still has a place in Vegas betting, although each stadium has a slightly different number and it changes over the season

Miami / AZ in September are brutal and cold weather stadiums in December/ January test the mettle of the visitors.
                          The NFL has gone out of its way to sterilize and minimize the differences in stadia and they set the schedule the same way- to level the playing field

Here's a link to an article that looked at the different HFA's as the season rolls along. The biggest delta in this study was the weather, not the fans

http://www.twominutewarning.com/hfa.htm
                          The idea that understanding the weather, schedule, etc. gives an advantage to the home team makes sense. But that advantage exists regardless of the actual stadium and how loud the fans are.
                          --
                          Your Retarded

Comment

Pretty sure ... tripped over a seam dropping back in the pocket, if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

You are really annoying sometimes.

If I felt it, so did the players ... many of whom comment on it, along with the coach, after games they win.

You say negligible?

Based on what?

More to the poInt ... Whatever it is it was better at the Vet.
                              Last edited by slag; 06-17-2013, 05:27 PM.

Comment

You are really annoying sometimes.

If I felt it, so did the players ... many of whom comment on it, along with the coach, after games they win.

You say negligible?

Based on what?

More to the poInt ... Whatever it is it was better at the Vet.
                                It seems that most people get annoyed with me when I look at large sample sizes to examine trends when they want to use more anecdotal data to make their points. Fancy that.

First of all, you said there were many different factors that affect the game.

As I said to PackWest, the familiarity aspect of it and having home fans probably does give some boost. But if you look at the games played by Reid coached teams, arguably one of the better/best eras of Eagles football, playing at home vs. on the read meant very little in the win/loss column regardless of the home stadium in Philadelphia. And it's over a large (224+ game) sample size.

So, for whatever reason, the things that you felt and others felt probably meant very little when it came to wins and losses since the stats for home and way are nearly identical.

And nearly every coach that wins a home game says that fans were great. Even if they weren't. Of course, anecdotally I'm sure there are a few exceptions.
                                --
                                Your Retarded

Comment

Working...
                                X