Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pizza Belt

http://gawker.com/the-pizza-belt-the...ium=socialflow

Glad to be in the belt. Got some nice places around.

Comment

They left out...

Ocean City NJ, some damn good pizza in that town
      The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe'

Comment

It shows Rhode Island in the pizza belt and I don't think it should be. I grew up in NJ and you can find great pizza parlors just about everywhere. When I moved to RI I was driving in Narragansett and decided to stop at a Pizza place on RT1. I went up to counter and asked for 2 slices and a coke. 30 seconds later there are 3 drinks in front of me, I'm alone btw. I asked what's this? "two slices and a coke" I said no 2 slices of pizza. "We don't sell it by the slice, you want a pie?". No I'm all set, I left.

This is where I use to get my pizza growing up. I've been around the world, Italy, Rome, Naples and this little place in Spotswood NJ is still the best.

Comment

The worst slice of pizza I've had in NYC is better, with a handful of exceptions, than any pizza I've eaten anywhere else in this country.
          Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
            The worst slice of pizza I've had in NYC is better, with a handful of exceptions, than any pizza I've eaten anywhere else in this country.
            Have you tried a slice from one of these "$1 Fresh Pizza" places that have been cropping up?
            --------
            "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

I agree that the so called pizza belt

is generally accurate. I grew up just outside the belt and you could find plenty of good pizza.

Down here in FL, or anywhere else outside the belt, you have to find someone making pizza that lived in the belt and that is going to be less than 50/50. Best pizza in my area is a place from NY. The rest is pretty much crap. When my parent are in town, that's were they want a pizza, too.

I'd like to see a sub/hoagie belt, too.
              Last edited by Drama Queen; 07-12-2013, 06:43 PM.

Comment

This is a KG kinda pizza place

http://www.cicispizza.com/
                "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

Not yet.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
                    Not yet.
                    I haven't either.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/16/ny...izza.html?_r=0
                    --------
                    "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Best pizza blog I have seen

This guy knows his pizza....

http://mainlinepizzaquest.blogspot.com/
                      Hopes that were high in the heat of September ... can wilt and die in the chill of November. November can be cold and grey, November can be surly with bitter rain upon the world and winter coming early.
                      - "The Voice" of NFL films -John Facenda

Comment

One of my guilty pleasures. My wife won't set foot in there. Its one of those places where the grotesquely obese walk to the buffet with their cane and stack their plate 5 slices high because they know they don't have the endurance to make two trips.

Comment

Seconded. I couldn't find a solid slice in Boston for the 6 months I was living there either.

Comment

I just yesterday went back to Napoli Pizza at the bottom of East State Street in Ithaca for the first time in 28 years. It had the best pizza in Ithaca in 1985 and I'm happy to say it still does.

I've been to most of my old pizza haunts upstate, and I'm surprised how well they've held up. Tony's in Endicott still makes the best New York style pizza in the Southern Tier, and Nirchi's sheet pizza is, like Lupo's speidies, a complete treasure.

Given the neighborhood and the name of the place I might sound like a bumpkin, but there's a Ray's on Seventh Avenue and 54th Street in New York that makes as good a pizza as I've eaten in New York.
                            Last edited by RSE; 07-12-2013, 11:03 PM.

Comment

It's funny how that works ... one of the best slices I've had in Delaware was in some joint in the Concord Mall.

And I think one of the best slices in NYC is the hole in the wall near the Hagen Daz in Penn Station.

It's also, obviously, a matter of taste ... I like a thin slice, with a crunch to it, myself.
                              Last edited by slag; 07-13-2013, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X