An actually interesting article from PFT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They experimented with it during the preseason last year

What they did was after the play was over and before they showed the replay, an ad would be superimposed on the screen. It was actually pretty annoying given that nearly every play is shown a 2nd time

I saw it during a Chargers preseason game and a Chiefs preseason game

They showed the live play, then while you're awaiting the replay an ad pops up. If Chip is already snapping the ball, that costs them cash

The NFL is an immense advertising juggernaut, consistently the highest rated shows on TV. They have jammed as many ads as possible into the 80 commercial breaks and are now finding other areas of the broadcast to make money

With so many millions on the line, every second of the 3 hour broadcast is accounted for and worth "exploiting" - whether its a promo for an upcoming show or from an outside sponsor

TV runs the NFL and as long as Roger, the owners and players are making millions- they won't complain about the myriad changes they are forced to accept on behalf of the networks

I think the huge emphasis on player safety has some ties to the networks as well, its not just the litigation from former players that is driving this effort

The networks pimp the stars just like the movie industry, and they cannot afford the stars getting hurt and missing games

You can't pimp a movie without Tom Cruise or Mel Gibson and you can't pimp an NFL game without Tom Brady or Adrian Peterson

It has become the National Advertising League, much to my chagrin

Comment

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/s...t-nothing.html

Shows examples of NE running it without issue.

If you'll recall, the beginning part of the 2012 season was "the season of the replacement officials." Replacement officials worked the game above. If the scabs could handle the Patriots' fast paced offense, which is currently faster than the Eagles', then surely the "real officials" can handle it... Right, "real officials?"
      Last edited by Melchior; 07-30-2013, 02:08 PM.
      "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

Working...
      X