Input needed on a first world problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Input needed on a first world problem

Turned my office into a sweet man cave this weekend. I was planning on getting a 50" TV in there, but it looks like the space I'll be putting it can accommodate 42-46" max.

Now I'm dealing with the age old 720 vs 1080. There's some great deals on 720 plasmas. I'm leaning toward picking one of them up, versus settling for 60 hz in an LED (really don't feel like dropping more than $400 on a 42" TV).

I think the size will compensate for the 720, and my main focus should be the refresh rate. Are there any flaws in this thinking?
    -Slizz of Wangnutz

Yes.

It is your cave.

LED.

Beer is good.

Comment

Originally posted by BigSlizz View Post
      Turned my office into a sweet man cave this weekend. I was planning on getting a 50" TV in there, but it looks like the space I'll be putting it can accommodate 42-46" max.

Now I'm dealing with the age old 720 vs 1080. There's some great deals on 720 plasmas. I'm leaning toward picking one of them up, versus settling for 60 hz in an LED (really don't feel like dropping more than $400 on a 42" TV).

I think the size will compensate for the 720, and my main focus should be the refresh rate. Are there any flaws in this thinking?
      Seriously who gives a f*k. If it looks good enough for your eyes go for whatever gets the job done.

I have problems with my eyes and just spent $1K for lenses for the next year. Really expensive but the most valuable money I spend every year. I will cut costs elsewhere to pay for that.

I guess what I am saying is that if it looks good to you... go for it.

P.S. Kudos to you for noting this is a First World problem.
      --------
      "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

yes

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
        Seriously who gives a f*k. If it looks good enough for your eyes go for whatever gets the job done.

I have problems with my eyes and just spent $1K for lenses for the next year. Really expensive but the most valuable money I spend every year. I will cut costs elsewhere to pay for that.

I guess what I am saying is that if it looks good to you and is less expensive... go for it.
        the audiophile treatment is overrated

Comment

Agreed. I think my question specifically should have been - does anyone have a 720p/600hz (I know the eye only processes 240) plasma TV, and do you like it?
          -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

With the sales going on you should be able to get a 1080. I prefer plasma. Check Panasonic.

Comment

All I can say is, my in-law came over for Thanksgiving and marveled at the LED picture quality like Riccardo starring at a naked man for the first time. He has a plasma.

In fairness that doesn't really mean much... a smaller TV screen like you are considering seems to be of high quality no matter what format. BTW, how much coin are you going to save?

Comment

Originally posted by Drama Queen View Post
                All I can say is, my in-law came over for Thanksgiving and marveled at the LED picture quality like Riccardo starring at a naked man for the first time. He has a plasma.

In fairness that doesn't really mean much... a smaller TV screen like you are considering seems to be of high quality no matter what format. BTW, how much coin are you going to save?
                I have to laugh. Modern TVs are all so awesome.

When I was very young we would visit my grandparents in Nanticoke, PA. They got three channels there and my grandfather had a Zenith black and white TV. We used to watch Kelly Green play Zorro on that sh*t!
                --------

Comment

I'm a bit of a stickler for tvs. If you are watching a lot of football on that tv or sports in general, id go with the plasma. That being said the differences are usually unseen or unnoticed to someone who isn't really looking for it.

Comment

Hahaha. Zorro!

That sounded like my household, Zenith and all, but with color!

It was all crap, no matter how nice the cabinet was to house the TV. I still remember how the channel knob would be loose and dysfunctional because we spun the heck out of it. No clickers back then.

Comment

I remember when I was about 8 or 9 years old, my parents were playing cards at their friends' house, and I would go into their den and marvel at their 30" screen. It made Double Dribble on the NES feel like I was at the arcade.
                      -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

The only thing I'm seriously tied to is I won't go 60 hz. Of the things that are noticeable, I feel like the ghosting/sync issues that arise from those types of TVs are the worst.

I deal with assorted resolutions a lot in my work, so I've got some opinions, but I appreciate the input from people who actually own the products. I went with plasma over LED for my work machine, and it's kind of a push.
                        -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

Originally posted by Drama Queen View Post
                          Hahaha. Zorro!

That sounded like my household, Zenith and all, but with color!

It was all crap, no matter how nice the cabinet was to house the TV. I still remember how the channel knob would be loose and dysfunctional because we spun the heck out of it. No clickers back then.
                          Exactly. the TV was like a piece of furniture.
                          --------

Comment

Yeah I remember when we first got a color TV

What a big deal that was... who woulda guessed we'd be watching color video clips on little hand held phones
                            "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

Originally posted by BigSlizz View Post
                              The only thing I'm seriously tied to is I won't go 60 hz. Of the things that are noticeable, I feel like the ghosting/sync issues that arise from those types of TVs are the worst.

I deal with assorted resolutions a lot in my work, so I've got some opinions, but I appreciate the input from people who actually own the products. I went with plasma over LED for my work machine, and it's kind of a push.
                              Slizz do you know what the native resolution (the camera resolution, and frame rate) is for most sporting events?
                              --------

Comment

Working...
                              X