No announcement yet.

Byrd NOT tagged!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like Lovie Smith in Tampa outmaneuvered everybody by hiring Jairus' Dad as the DB coach...

Gil Byrd was brought in when Lovie arrived earlier this season

Comment

Originally posted by PackWest View Post
      Looks like Lovie Smith in Tampa outmaneuvered everybody by hiring Jairus' Dad as the DB coach...

Gil Byrd was brought in when Lovie arrived earlier this season
      Where does he fit in Tampa? They spent a high pick on Mark Barron two years ago, and he's been pretty decent. They signed Dashon Goldson last offseason.

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMIN EAGLE View Post
        He turned down $30million guaranteed and a shot to be the highest paid safety in teh NFL. Something about this guys stinks.
        I don't wanna pay Ronnie Lott that kind of money. Sign someone else...

Comment

Originally posted by Ground_Meat View Post
          I don't wanna pay Ronnie Lott that kind of money. Sign someone else...
          McLane, Roob Frank and Mosher all seem to think Ward and Byrd especially won't be wearing Eagles' unis next year. They point to Howie's repeated comments on not making the same mistakes as before (The Dream Team) and throwing lots of money at FAs, no matter what the track record. They seem to think Malcolm Jenkins and Antoine Bethea will be somewhat cheaper, less Dream Team, more likely signings.

However, Mosher and Frank both think overpaying for Worilds would be fine because he's quite literally the perfect fit at OLB.
          Last edited by Sect 236; 03-03-2014, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sect 236 View Post
            McLane, Roob Frank and Mosher all seem to think Ward and Byrd especially won't be wearing Eagles' unis next year. They point to Howie's repeated comments on not making the same mistakes as before (The Dream Team) and throwing lots of money at FAs, no matter what the track record. They seem to think Malcolm Jenkins and Antoine Bethea will be somewhat cheaper, less Dream Team, more likely signings.

However, Mosher and Frank both think overpaying for Worilds would be fine because he's quite literally the perfect fit at OLB.
            Id be happy with the non-Dream Team approach.

Comment

I think Jenkins would be a good pickup, and much less guaranteed loot to make it happen...This Byrd guy is all about getting a huge payday, what happens when he gets hurt again like last year, he is stealing money then and we are back to sucking at safety. I would draft a safety and a corner and sign Jenkins, done.

Comment

I am not sure about the "Byrd wants to get paid" angle

Originally posted by weizer View Post
                I think Jenkins would be a good pickup, and much less guaranteed loot to make it happen...This Byrd guy is all about getting a huge payday, what happens when he gets hurt again like last year, he is stealing money then and we are back to sucking at safety. I would draft a safety and a corner and sign Jenkins, done.
                but the rest is totally on target, especially the lower-tier safety as a better fit.

There may be a good-fit safety or corner at #22. If one of those doesn't fit in Eagles' draft board, then trade down or simply draft BPA.

Can you imagine if a TE (Ebron?) or WR (Cooks?) was there at 22? A Chip-Chub.

Lots of options.

Comment

He's kind of been on the fence. But ultimately he's saying that they'll look at FA like the draft and will not let need affect what they pay.

They're going to pay based on how they have the player graded:

"It’s almost like the draft where you don’t want to force something," Roseman said last week. "As much as we want to do things to improve in any way we can, we also don’t want to force anything. So we look at it, just try to grade the players as they are, not do it because we need a particular position. We have some flexibility. ...But we’re gonna go out and try to do things that make sense for our football team."
                  "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

Here's the article I was referencing. They also break down other FA targets.

Geoff’s projection
                    This is the guy Eagles fans are salivating over, but I don’t see it happening for several reasons. I get the feeling Byrd will break the bank, and I don’t see the Eagles as willing participants in making Byrd the game’s highest-paid safety. If the Bills don’t tag him, I’d expect another team that has big-time cap space and needs a defensive facelift to blow everyone else out of the water. The Eagles sound like a team that doesn’t want to repeat past mistakes of overpaying, and there are plenty of B-level safeties on the market who can be effective at a much more feasible price tag. Look for the Eagles to be more economical in their safety shopping.

Reuben’s projection
                    The more I hear GM Howie Roseman talk about free agency, the more convinced I am that the Eagles just don’t plan on taking the big-ticket route this offseason. It’s just not where the franchise is right now. Call it Dream Team hangover. Roseman keeps talking about how signing big-money free agents has such a ripple effect on a team’s salary structure, preventing it from signing other free agents, infuriating its own draft picks whose salaries pale in comparison, and potentially causing it years of salary cap trouble if the signing doesn’t work out. And ya know, he’s right. Byrd is a beast, but this is a young team building for the future, and signing someone like Byrd -- as gifted as he is -- just doesn’t fit where they are right now
                    http://www.csnphilly.com/football-ph...ts-jairus-byrd
                    Last edited by Sect 236; 03-04-2014, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X