This Malaysian airline story is getting surreal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Malaysian airline story is getting surreal

Not sure what to think now. Bizarrely Lost ish.

Hijacked is starting to look more likely

And if it was, doesn't appear to be for the usual reasons
    "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

I'm so happy to be taking an international flight today...

Comment

Feels like this is going to end up being an unstable pilot or co-pilot.

Comment

Wouldn't worry about a flight from US

Originally posted by Ground_Meat View Post
          I'm so happy to be taking an international flight today...
          Or most other countries. I'd start to get a little nervous though if I lived in a big US coastal city

Comment

Well here is what the US experts are saying--
            1. It had enough fuel to fly to Pakistan
            2. The transponder and the other instrument that is supposed to stream data were turned off 14 minutes apart.
            3. The engines, which send signals to satellites were sending signals for 5 hours, after it's last contact which means the plane was still airborne.

It's been a bad week for aviation--

You had the plane that blew it's tire at PHL the other day
            Over here, there was a chopper that crashed last night killing 4 in thick fog, including the 4th richest man in Ireland. He was suing the maker of the helicopter, sighting safety problems.
            Last edited by bobbyuk; 03-14-2014, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyuk View Post
              Well here is what the US experts are saying--
              1. It had enough fuel to fly to Pakistan
              2. The transponder and the other instrument that is supposed to stream data were turned off 14 minutes apart.
              3. The engines, which send signals to satellites were sending signals for 5 hours, after it's last contact which means the plane was still airborne.

It's been a bad week for aviation--

You had the plane that blew it's tire at PHL the other day
              Over here, there was a chopper that crashed last night killing 4 in thick fog, including the 4th richest man in Ireland. He was suing the maker of the helicopter, sighting safety problems.
              Great news!!

Comment

Originally posted by Riccardo View Post
                And if it was, doesn't appear to be for the usual reasons
                I'm guessing it's in Pakistan. I think some very bad people have themselves a very big plane.

Sick feeling about this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Squire View Post
                  Feels like this is going to end up being an unstable pilot or co-pilot.
                  Yap, they are saying some British satellite was getting pings every hour for 4 hours and they plotted it going south over the Indian Ocean to the middle of nowhere. It took Woods Hole 2 years to find Air France 447 and they knew where it went down.

Comment

Originally posted by Dolomite View Post
                    Yap, they are saying some British satellite was getting pings every hour for 4 hours and they plotted it going south over the Indian Ocean to the middle of nowhere. It took Woods Hole 2 years to find Air France 447 and they knew where it went down.
                    Two years to find it all. They found debris after five days.

Comment

Originally posted by The Duck View Post
                      I'm guessing it's in Pakistan. I think some very bad people have themselves a very big plane.

Sick feeling about this one.
                      I don't know. If the plane flew to Pakistan it would have had to fly over India or very nearby. One would think that Indian military radar would have picked up a track, especially as they aren't best buddies with Pakistan.

Of course it's possible they did pick up such a track and it isn't known publicly.

Whatever the situation was, I'm going with at least some of the crew was involved.
                      --------
                      "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Exactly even with that information it took two years to find the main fuselage and the data recorders. http://www.airfrance447.com/

Comment

Could hug the Arabian peninsula

Hopefully not though. Kinda strange to be hoping the plane went down in the ocean somewhere.

On a related note, when I flew home from Mumbai India I was watching the flight path - went over Pakistan then took a sharp turn to the north over Afghanistan to steer clear of Iran airspace.
                          Last edited by Riccardo; 03-15-2014, 01:01 AM. Reason: penisula...haha

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
                            Of course it's possible they did pick up such a track and it isn't known publicly.

Whatever the situation was, I'm going with at least some of the crew was involved.
                            India's Navy is searching the jungles of the Andemans now. So they tracked it there at least. Then lost it.

Hope it went down in the jungle. Because that course looks to me like it was headed for Pakistan, maybe Yemen.

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
                              The AP's anonymous Malaysian source is saying the investigation has conclusively pointed to a hijacking, and they believe a pilot may have been involved. Knowing this story, that will be denied tomorrow, but that's what it is now. Shades of Egypt Air 990.

Comment

Working...
                              X