This Malaysian airline story is getting surreal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Riccardo View Post
    That possibility came closest during that right winger JFK's term... come on, that's ridiculous
    You are misrepresenting my statements... which is also a right wing tactic.

I said that hyping this apparently hijacked plane as a nuke threat is a right wing scare tactic, NOT that nuclear war was.

I specifically said that nuclear war is a legitimate threat I have lived under all my life. If right wingers want to be concerned about nuclear war, I am on board with that. What I am not on board with is doomsday scenarios involving hijacked planes.
    --------
    "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Well you only mentioned it three times

You certainly implied that threat of nuclear war was another "scare tactic". And let's be fair, the right wing has no monopoly on scare tactics. The left does it just as often: Ryan's gonna throw grandma off the cliff, they're going to take away your medicare, your social security, blah, blah, blah...
      "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

That possibility came closest during that right winger JFK's term... come on, that's ridiculous
        P.S. We came pretty close to nuclear war in the 80's too. Sometime when you have a chance, google "Able Archer".
        --------

Comment

You certainly implied that threat of nuclear war was another "scare tactic"..
          El wrongo. I said that hyping this apparently hijacked plane as a nuke threat was a "scare tactic". Show me where I said the threat of nuclear war was a scare tactic.
          --------

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
            Again, I've lived my entire life under the threat of being nuked with 30 minutes notice. When I was a kid we had bomb drills in my school.

I see no reason to be more afraid today than I have ever been. A hijacked plane really doesn't change the risk portfolio much for me. I'm sure Russia and China still have at least one nuke each aimed at me. THAT scares me more than a hijacked plane does.
            Why do you make the immediate assumption that fear is the objective in discussing it? I don't get that. Over the course of discussing the possibilities, you eliminate some (EMP, not likely), you look more closely at the others (botched hijacking, plane theft, a heist of some kind), maybe we get a sense of what's going on. Not sure why you're so hostile to that, or if this is a personal thing, but it's all good. Your board.

Comment

Originally posted by The Duck View Post
              Why do you make the immediate assumption that fear is the objective in discussing it? I don't get that. Over the course of discussing the possibilities, you eliminate some (EMP, not likely), you look more closely at the others (botched hijacking, plane theft, a heist of some kind), maybe we get a sense of what's going on. Not sure why you're so hostile to that, or if this is a personal thing, but it's all good. Your board.
              IDK, It's just my take that some people are stoking fear that is related to this.

I do agree that it is prudent to consider all scenarios regarding this incident. If I was in a position to do something about things I would certainly be looking at everything as a possibility.
              --------

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
                You are misrepresenting my statements... which is also a right wing tactic.

I said that hyping this apparently hijacked plane as a nuke threat is a right wing scare tactic, NOT that nuclear war was.

I specifically said that nuclear war is a legitimate threat I have lived under all my life. If right wingers want to be concerned about nuclear war, I am on board with that. What I am not on board with is doomsday scenarios involving hijacked planes.
                Proliferation has made our country vulnerable. Countries are developing/assembling nukes for self defense or worse. Japan can make a nuke in 6 months by all reports.
                And the chances of some of these countries losing control of their Nuclear (Command and Control) is possible, if not inevitable.

that is all

Comment

Originally posted by noguano View Post
                  Proliferation has made our country vulnerable. Countries are developing/assembling nukes for self defense or worse. Japan can make a nuke in 6 months by all reports.
                  And the chances of some of these countries losing control of their Nuclear (Command and Control) is possible, if not inevitable.

that is all
                  Agreed.
                  --------

Comment

I said you "implied" it

Really don't know why you are making this political in the first place. I don't see anyone from the right wing hoping we get nuked by terrorists. Just pointing out, as are pontificators on the left, that it is a possibility, as remote as it is.

Comment

Really don't know why you are making this political in the first place. I don't see anyone from the right wing hoping we get nuked by terrorists. Just pointing out, as are pontificators on the left, that it is a possibility, as remote as it is.
                      Just pushing back against the paranoia preachers.

It's a MAJOR leap to go from a hijacked airliner to a scenario where the US is under nuclear attack.

C'mon admit it. It's a leap and fear stoking.
                      --------

Comment

I don't know why this plane has gone missing?

But it is all Bush's fault:
                        "Never Look Back, Something May Be Gaining On You."

Comment

Really surprised this thread hasn't been Nuked yet, guess it all depends who's doing the mudslinging?

Comment

the right wing has no monopoly on scare tactics. The left does it just as often: Ryan's gonna throw grandma off the cliff, they're going to take away your medicare, your social security, blah, blah, blah...
                            No they don't. Not even close. And the right DOES want to take away social security and medicare. They want to privatize both. Which means you could lose every penny when the market crashes because the money is no longer guaranteed. Markets will always crash, especially with morally suspect minds at the controls.

The right wing pretty much has a monopoly on scare tactics.

Comment

I have to believe that whatever happened, the plane crashed in the Indian Ocean and might not ever be recovered. Hard to imagine terrorists landing a plane undetected and then having to deal with 200+ souls in a humane way.

Unless somewhere there are hundreds of hands disassembling the entire aircraft to be transported, piece by piece, to a new locale.

Do they have airplane chop shops? That plane goes for around 260 million bucks. Not chump change. Parts might bring you more.

Comment

See? more fake scare tactics from the looney left

Thanks for proving my point

Comment

Working...
                                X