The myth of double coverage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The myth of double coverage

I hate the move, but where are you guys getting this DJax drew double-teams argument?

Very few receivers are ever truly double-teamed. Most teams played a lot of Man Free (man coverage with a single high safety) against the Eagles and kept the other safety in the box.

Now, in Cover 2, he may pull a safety away and open up the seams, but that's typical of any starting WR.

They actually worked pretty hard to move Jackson around and get him a clean release for crossing routes. Keenan Lewis did a really good job of jamming/pressing him in the Saints game.

At the end of the day, it's really McCoy who's opening things up.
    "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...-the-redskins/
    Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

One of the advantages of my endzone view is that it helps see a lot more of what's going on, coverage wise. I can't tell you the number of times that I screamed to get Jaccson the ball, because the "double coverage" safety was playing too deep, or they had not fully committed to his side.

I don't argue Jaccson's talent. But I don't think that losing him is the end of the world, particularly if a good deep threat receiver can be drafted.

Comment

Originally posted by Susquehanna Birder View Post
        One of the advantages of my endzone view is that it helps see a lot more of what's going on, coverage wise. I can't tell you the number of times that I screamed to get Jaccson the ball, because the "double coverage" safety was playing too deep, or they had not fully committed to his side.

I don't argue Jaccson's talent. But I don't think that losing him is the end of the world, particularly if a good deep threat receiver can be drafted.
        That's the thing: straight up double coverage in the 'playground' sense may not exist, but jaccson being on the field caused players other than the cornerback to adjust their position on the field to account for him. Which of course put them in a more advantageous position for other players on offense.

Comment

One of the dumbest posts from a football perspective I have ever read on this board

Originally posted by Melchior View Post
          I hate the move, but where are you guys getting this DJax drew double-teams argument?

Very few receivers are ever truly double-teamed. Most teams played a lot of Man Free (man coverage with a single high safety) against the Eagles and kept the other safety in the box.

Now, in Cover 2, he may pull a safety away and open up the seams, but that's typical of any starting WR.

They actually worked pretty hard to move Jackson around and get him a clean release for crossing routes. Keenan Lewis did a really good job of jamming/pressing him in the Saints game.

At the end of the day, it's really McCoy who's opening things up.
          Keep talking semantics about what constitutes a double team while I remind you of the simple fact that DeSean Jackson almost never can be covered one-on-one. He not only gets open, he gets WIDE OPEN.
          Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
          May 7, 2010

Comment

Agreed on tht point about DeSean

Originally posted by Irish George View Post
            Keep talking semantics about what constitutes a double team while I remind you of the simple fact that DeSean Jackson almost never can be covered one-on-one. He not only gets open, he gets WIDE OPEN.
            How many times might we see this ? First play of the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn7uTh_p2oQ
            The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is - Winston Churchill

Comment

"Guys don’t get double-teamed in this league," explained Maclin. "There’s one guy in the league that gets double-teamed, and that’s Calvin Johnson on the goal line. Guys don’t get double-teamed in this league. If you went out there and you weren’t able to make plays you wouldn’t be out there. To have him on the field and being able to make plays is a plus for the offense, but at the same time, anybody that’s out there is (capable of making plays)."
              http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/s...01XVkYY3tV0.99

Comment

It's not semantics. McCoy is the one pulling 8 men in to the box and giving the receivers one on one matchups. He is literally being double teamed.

The receivers benefit from that, and yeah, Jackson will scorch a lot of corners in one on one coverage. But when he goes up against better press corners, he's usually pretty quiet.

Like I said, I'm not happy about the move either, but I'm not going to pretend that he was Calvin Johnson.
                "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

why would you pretend he was big and physical

the point stands that he gets wide open virtually every time when in single coverage.

Of course a great running game makes things better.

Just as a great receiver made Foles better and will make RGIII better.

Please stop with the straw arguments.
                  May 7, 2010

Comment

Have you really seen the eagles opponents stack eight in the box that much? I haven't.
                    "You'll get nothing and like it!" Judge Smails

Comment

Anybody fast can get open in single coverage

the point stands that he gets wide open virtually every time when in single coverage.

Of course a great running game makes things better.

Just as a great receiver made Foles better and will make RGIII better.

Please stop with the straw arguments.
                      What Melchoir is saying is where is the proof that he was consistently double teamed last season? This is what I was asking a week or so ago and gave up when nobody provided any.

Comment

Smear Campaign
                        --
                        Your Retarded

Comment

who fucking cares?

Originally posted by weizer View Post
                          What Melchoir is saying is where is the proof that he was consistently double teamed last season? This is what I was asking a week or so ago and gave up when nobody provided any.
                          Wah wah...nobody gave me proof he was double covered...WHAT??? What difference does it make if he is wide open regardless...this much I do know...he is virtually impossible to cover one-on-one. and not "any fast guy" is putting up consistent numbers of a three-time Pro Bowler.
                          May 7, 2010

Comment

So

Wah wah...nobody gave me proof he was double covered...WHAT??? What difference does it make if he is wide open regardless...this much I do know...he is virtually impossible to cover one-on-one. and not "any fast guy" is putting up consistent numbers of a three-time Pro Bowler.
                            you just want people to believe all the shit your slinging with no proof? I admit teams shifted safeties his way from time to time for sure, but straight doubles, no way most could afford to do that with all the other weapons we had.

Comment

Originally posted by weizer View Post
                              Just by asking the question you're admitting you know little of general defensive formations. Show me proof that defenses allowed ONLY ONE cornerback to keep track of Jaccson without shifting other players to protect areas of the field. The doubleteam shit is semantics and you know it.

Edit: posted too late...
                              Last edited by bk; 04-02-2014, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X