Would the Eagles have had more leverage if they had kept Desean Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greenstealth View Post
    Roseman avoiding complications is a good reason to not try to trade a player? K
    That's right. They didn't try to trade him. Howie cut him out of the blue and the rest of the NFL had no idea it was going to happen. Then the market for his services just blew up because he's DESEAN JACKSON, a great undervalued talent who broke the performance limiting chains of Chip Kelly and excelled in spite of the Eagles personnel choices around him.

Imagine how teams would have responded knowing they could have gotten him for a mere couple of draft picks at a contract price below his market value. Howie really blew it when he let the NFL just have him for nothing.

Your hate for Roseman is unhealthy. In his first year without Reid calling any of the shots he was involved in getting a coach and players that helped the Eagles turn a 4-12 season to a 10-6 NFC East title.

Cutting Jackson before the draft when there was no market undoes all of what Kelly, Roseman and Lurie started in 2013? I get it if this success was just a fluke but seriously, they're on an upward trajectory. Lose the angst.
    --
    Your Retarded

Comment

Originally posted by Melchior View Post
      It's the system. They're not necessarily looking for deep speed players, because their system doesn't really allow for long developing routes on a regular basis. When they go vertical, they intend to beat man coverage with body control and physicality, not just separation.

The main goal is to spread the defense out, get your guy the ball and get your other WR's blocking downfield for the greatest amount of YAC. Cooper produced above his presumed talent level because he was well-suited to the scheme. Jackson still had a good year, but it wasn't the same kind of jump in production that Cooper had.

That's the problem with football. You never know if someone is a flat out bum, or a good player in a bad fit. You also don't have the time to research the answers yourself. It's also impossible to know what intangibles will make one guy a stud and another a bum.

So all you can really do is speculate on past production, but mostly we just end up looking like assholes.
      You'd have to think that Jackson, with his ability to stretch the field and score anytime he touches the ball, would fit those 2 aspects of the system. Sure, he doesn't block that much, but most everyone thought Jackson paired with Kelly would only be good for both parties when Kelly was hired, and for 1 year it worked great. I don't think losing Jackson will break the team, but I do think it completely altered our draft approach and weakened the offense to some degree, which is compounded by the lack of playmakers added defensively.

Comment

Originally posted by TerpEagle View Post
        That's right. They didn't try to trade him. Howie cut him out of the blue and the rest of the NFL had no idea it was going to happen. Then the market for his services just blew up because he's DESEAN JACKSON, a great undervalued talent who broke the performance limiting chains of Chip Kelly and excelled in spite of the Eagles personnel choices around him.

Imagine how teams would have responded knowing they could have gotten him for a mere couple of draft picks at a contract price below his market value. Howie really blew it when he let the NFL just have him for nothing.

Your hate for Roseman is unhealthy. In his first year without Reid calling any of the shots he was involved in getting a coach and players that helped the Eagles turn a 4-12 season to a 10-6 NFC East title.

Cutting Jackson before the draft when there was no market undoes all of what Kelly, Roseman and Lurie started in 2013? I get it if this success was just a fluke but seriously, they're on an upward trajectory. Lose the angst.
        Your sarcasm doesn't mask your stupidity. Me saying Howie didn't do his job when he cut jackson and didn't try to get something for him during the draft means I have unhealthy hate for Roseman? You are all over the place which is pretty much expected.

Comment

At this stage...

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
          For our sake, yes.

For his sake, he can always go back to college.

It's like a grand experiment for him. Hope it works out.
          ...I dont think it can be denied Chip has the team headed in the right direction. Maybe it feels that way to me more on a relative basis because of Reid (FF).
          Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
          May 7, 2010

Comment

No one will know....

Could it be Chip Kelly sent a message to the organization that no one is above the team and its "HIS WAY" regardless of who that player is or brings to the table?

Jackson was a fan favorite and under Reid only one of a few players that showed emotion. Coming out of College Jackson was viewed as a headache and Reid placated Jackson's "Diva-tude".

There is more to this story, locker room, sideline, meetings and conflicts with staff were only part of it. His salary only made it easier to cut him. Fiscal sanity has always been the Eagles way, I did not say cheap, but sane.

Kelly is banking on addition thru subtraction:
            Maclin,Matthews, Huff will replace Jacksons numbers and not offer the presumed friction jackson's smear campaign promoted.

Comment

Working...
            X