Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phillies fans are the biggest bandwagoners.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phillies fans are the biggest bandwagoners.

They have the highest win sensitivity with respect to attendance from 1998-2013.

https://scholarblogs.emory.edu/esma/...rmance-prices/

http://deadspin.com/which-mlb-fans-a...ers-1590452742

--
    Your Retarded

Yeah.

So what?
    DB

Comment

Do you work for Deadspin, Terp?

Not disputing that Phillies fans are bandwagoners (pretty much all baseball fans are except St Louis and Boston). But the teams at the top of this list are the ones that have had peaks and valleys in that time period (Phillies, Whitesox, Indians, Tigers, ect).

Comment

Originally posted by rothdawg View Post

Not disputing that Phillies fans are bandwagoners (pretty much all baseball fans are except St Louis and Boston). But the teams at the top of this list are the ones that have had peaks and valleys in that time period (Phillies, Whitesox, Indians, Tigers, ect).
        I like how Miami is at the bottom of the list. They win, no one goes. They lose, no one goes. No change.

Also, Boston is notorious for padding attendance stats. I lived in Boston the year before the World Series, when Bobby V was running the team into the ground. Nobody in Boston cared about the Red Sox at all. Tickets were VERY easy to come by for any game outside of NYY.

Comment

hm. accordingly to a class i recently took(or a model that we were shown in that class) the phillies had the 5th most loyal fans. i think that was based on attendance from 90-98 but i don't think that in the years since phillies fans would have fallen to dead last. i'll have to look into how that is measured.

another thing that was stressed in that class was that the yankees spend because they have to. if they're bad, fans stop going. that's nothing like what this emory study says.

Comment

Yeah, the teams at the bottom of the list have either been competitive for most of the 15 year period, or they just don't show up regardless. Also the fact that the Phillies went from the Vet to CBP fluctuated attendance.

Oh well, this guy who wrote the article for Deadspin has a major hard on for Philadelphia. I'm pretty sure he cited this board in one of his articles before.
            Last edited by rothdawg; 06-13-2014, 03:35 PM.

Comment

I should. I usually link to them because it's the first sports feed I read. I put the link to the actual article as well.
              --
              Your Retarded

Comment

Yeah, the teams at the bottom of the list have either been competitive for most of the 15 year period, or they just don't show up regardless. Also the fact that the Phillies went from the Vet to CBP fluctuated attendance.

Oh well, this guy who wrote the article for Deadspin has a major hard on for Philadelphia. I'm pretty sure he cited this board in one of his articles before.
                Deadspin just linked to it. It's from a study through Emory University and it doesn't appear to only be based on attendance. They talk about their methodology here (be forewarnded - not a Deadspin link):

https://scholarblogs.emory.edu/esma/...rankings-2014/
                --
                Your Retarded

Comment

Before the Championship run, the only board member who talked about the Phillies with any consistently was Overbrook.

True story.

Comment

Fans don't go when their teams suck?

Is water wet also?
                    Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by TerpEagle View Post
                      Deadspin just linked to it. It's from a study through Emory University and it doesn't appear to only be based on attendance. They talk about their methodology here (be forewarnded - not a Deadspin link):

https://scholarblogs.emory.edu/esma/...rankings-2014/
                      Yeah but Deadspin wouldn't have posted this study if any other fan base was ranked number 1. The subject of Philadelphia sports fans has been a lighting rod for them for years.

Comment

This fits the stereotype of Philadelphia fans as aggressive, demanding fans that are willing to cheer injuries and boo Santa.
                        Who knew?

It seems the Phillies should charge more and use the funds to invest in players.
                        That sounds like a great idea.

I'm wondering if Manish Tripathi has even watched a baseball game before writing this awful article. I wish I stopped at the 'boo Santa' part.

Comment

Basebore

Comment

Wrong! Bandwagoners Are NOT Phillies Fans!

Phillies fans start every season expecting the team to win the World Series. They don't panic when the team loses four in a row in April because they know the season is 162 games and six months long for a reason. If the team is eliminated they get ready for the next year when they do it all over again.

These mealy mouthed infidels who give up four weeks into the season but are back screaming, "We're Number One" when the team is flying high in July are the worst -- and if you recognize yourself in this description -- GOOD!
                            "If I owned Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell!"

Comment

The only reason you didn't know the Phillies were out of it 4 weeks into the season is because you have no clue about anything sports related.

You're the REAL diehard here yet I'm sure if I excluded the names "Papelbon", "Lee" and "Hamels" you couldn't even name 5 more Phillies pitchers without googling it. Tell me who started last night without looking it up. Who is starting today? Again, no cheating Fatty.

I've forgotten more about every sports topic in the world than you're pathetic ass will ever know and I'm half your age and then some.

Either stick to girls field hockey or hang it up Gramps, you're constantly embarrassing yourself.
                              Last edited by Sect 236; 06-14-2014, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X