Soccer...the hipster sport!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Irish George View Post
    if it wears skinny jeans, carries a messenger bag, wears oversized aviator shades at night and smokes a corncob pipe while walking at least two dogs...its a hipster
    Somebody is getting really, really old.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
      I only watch top pro soccer.

World Cup, Premier League, La Liga, Champions League, etc.

I took the time to try to understand what's going on between goals ... when I used to think it was a boring game of keep away.

Once you get that the game of keep away requires serious skill and that there is a strategy (which, frankly I only have a rudimentary knowledge of), the play at that level is much more watchable and sometimes fucking amazing.

Even with the drama queen fouls.

I can't watch it because its too much back and forth. I need to learn whats happening between the goals too. I thought hockey was the same, but I sat my ass down and watched a lot of the playoffs this year. Im starting to like it a lot. I just got to find a bandwagon to hop on.
      500 internet fights, that's the number I figured when I first joined igglephans. 500 internet fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate internet-tough guy. You need them for experience, to develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then...after...you realize that's what you are.

Comment

thanks for that, Captain Obvious

not GETTING old...I am old. But as usual you are off that mark, that's not it.

Living in a resort town it is all wetsuits, flip flops and tee shirts. Working at a college for 20 years its skateboards, chuck taylors and flannels. Nary a fedora, soul patch or corn cob pipe in site. If that is the new normal I've been insulated from it.
        Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
        May 7, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Irish George View Post
          not GETTING old...I am old. But as usual you are off that mark, that's not it.

Living in a resort town it is all wetsuits, flip flops and tee shirts. Working at a college for 20 years its skateboards, chuck taylors and flannels. Nary a fedora, soul patch or corn cob pipe in site. If that is the new normal I've been insulated from it.
          Okay. If not old, then isolated from the rest of the world.

But, as you know, every generation of post 50's disparages the youth culture of the day. Been happening for centuries.

Personally, I can't talk when I consider the tight corduroy bell bottoms I used to wear along with other ridiculous fashion choices of the 70's. Let the kids be kids. They'll find themselves before too long and laugh at themselves in another few decades just as we did. And they will malign the kids of their day. And so it goes.

Comment

HAHAHA!

Originally posted by The Ref View Post
            Hilarious! Well if anyone knows about being isolated, it's you!
            "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

Originally posted by Riccardo View Post
              Hilarious! Well if anyone knows about being isolated, it's you!
              That's rich coming from you.
              Last edited by The Ref; 06-19-2014, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Well it should be

You're the guy with no life, no family, no friends, who lives and works in an imaginary la-la land and only associates with people of the exact same looney, leftwing political beliefs/world-view.

Isolation is your milieu!

Comment

Milieu? No self-respecting right-wing gun nut would ever say 'milieu.' Its a French word for chrissakes.

Comment

Hahah.. I was thinking about that, but then again

It's from THE GREAT JOE DIRT movie:

"Zander Kelly: Don`t you get it? Stinky stuff is your milieu. Okay? This is your deal. You are an underachievement nexus of the universe."

Comment

Not sure how you speak for "the rest of the world" but...

Originally posted by The Ref View Post

But, as you know, every generation of post 50's disparages the youth culture of the day. Been happening for centuries.

Personally, I can't talk when I consider the tight corduroy bell bottoms I used to wear along with other ridiculous fashion choices of the 70's. Let the kids be kids. They'll find themselves before too long and laugh at themselves in another few decades just as we did. And they will malign the kids of their day. And so it goes.
                      in the last 18 months this getting really, really old isolated guy has been to France, Monaco, London and environs, Tahiti, Bora Bora Florida and drove the PCL from the bay area to your stomping grounds of LA...and I say hipsters are hipsters and not the rest of the world. but that's just me talking.
                      Last edited by Irish George; 06-19-2014, 07:06 PM.
                      Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
                      May 7, 2010

Comment

Working...
                      X