No announcement yet.

RSE is right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anything is possible but I don't see it as a transition sport. In other words, I think that a special player need to be raised as a soccer player. I truly doubt any NFL player can crossover to soccer and become that superstar. Outside of speed, I don't think they would bring anything else to the table. What makes soccer a bit unique is you don't always have to be the fastest or strongest to be the best. Sure that may apply to other sports but I don't think as much as it does in soccer in my opinion.

Like you mentioned before, some people were raised to catch a ball while other were raised to juggle it.

Comment

I was not suggesting an NFL player could learn how to play top level soccer after becoming an NFL player.

However, I am suggesting that a person who's good enough to be an all-pro athlete at one of the speed positions in a more "American" sport could, if "raised as a soccer player," be a Reynaldo or Messi.

And speed and strength are assets, obviously if you learn the ball control, passing and shooting skills.
      Last edited by slag; 07-02-2014, 06:58 PM.
      Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

I can assure you they were referring to the mental component. They're not going on ESPN to knock the US or the sport. They have a filter.

It's not a knock on their physical skills. Great teams pass to space, good teams pass to players (kind of like a QB in the NFL). Keep this in mind the next game you watch.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
          I was not suggesting an NFL player could learn how to play top level soccer after becoming an NFL player.

However, I am suggesting that a person who's good enough to be an all-pro athlete at one of the speed positions in a more "American" sport could, if "raised as a soccer player," be a Reynaldo or Messi.

And speed and strength are assets, obviously if you learn the ball control, passing and shooting skills.
          Suggestion to everybody in this thread: Check out David Epstein's work, especially his book "The Sports Gene".

Recently saw a lecture of his which really made sense to me in interpreting debates such as this.

http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=656SnRCgu3sC

The book is excellent, IMO.
          --------
          "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

I think young American players will benefit from having the Premier League to watch as well as the increased quality of the MLS. My daughter learned a great deal from watching soccer with me on TV. In a State Cup game she lobbed the keeper from the 18, because she saw Messi do it. On free kicks near the goal, a few times she tried kicking the ball under the wall, because she saw Ronaldinho do it. She would take a spot in the wall on her team's free kicks, then peel away leaving a gap. Her coaches didn't teach that. Kids will see what is possible on a soccer field, the things their coaches will never teach them.
            Last edited by RSE; 07-02-2014, 08:25 PM.

Comment

I know what to watch ... I've been watching World Cup and Premier League since 19 fucking 80.

Bad passes can be made to bad space.

EDITED TO ADD: And I do think those guys feel the US is not as proficient on physical technical skills as the really top teams ... players not only need to think of a pass, they need to be able to control the ball and make it as well as their opponents.
              Last edited by slag; 07-02-2014, 09:12 PM.

Comment

I'm assuming you've played, correct?

Comment

No ... so what?

Comment

Along those lines, I believe the FIFA video game for X-Box and PlayStation has also had an effect on stirring up interest in kids and, particularly for younger kids in understanding the game.

I shit you not ... I know kids who started wearing Premier League jerseys and watching that league in part because of that video game.

Comment

Never played ice hockey either.

Comment

That may be why we view the sport differently. That's ok. No argument here.

Comment

I don't think we view it that much differently.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakebitten View Post
                            Our best athletes don't gravitate towards soccer. We don't have a Tiger Woods or Lance Armstrong (pre-dope) that can peak this country's interest. These athletes see the fame, the money, and all the perks other sports in this country have. Why bother with soccer? I actually played soccer in Belgium and can assure you they don't have other options.
                            This is the EXACT reason why America will never be amazing at soccer.. The best athletes here go to basketball and football... Always will be.. Why the fuck would I direct my child towards soccer where they get like no scholarship money in college no matter how good they are, and no one gives a shit about college soccer... When I can just direct my kid to basketball or football where they can get full scholarships and the media coverage is always there for them..

Comment

Working...
                            X