Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sixers trading for Stoudamire and Hardaway JR or Shumpert?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sixers trading for Stoudamire and Hardaway JR or Shumpert?

The Knicks have reportedly spoken to the Sixers about a trade for Amare Stoudemire.
    Knicks president Phil Jackson is trying to shed salary and trading Stoudemire would go a long way towards accomplishing that goal. The Sixers have about $30 million in cap space and have told teams that they'd be willing to accept a bad contract (like Stoudemire's) if they can get extra assets in return. The extra asset from the Knicks would presumably be Iman Shumpert of Tim Hardaway Jr., so we'll have to wait and if the Knicks are willing to part with either of their most desirable young players.

What would the Sixers have to give up?

Thad Young would have to be a part of the deal I would imagine. Maybe Mullens as well

Comment

Nothing. If a team needs to clear cap space, the Sixers hold all the cards.

Comment

There's not much of a chance this happens.

Hinkie is all about acquiring valuable assets not just assets. No team is in worse shape asset wise than the Knicks. They're bone dry on first round picks. Iman Shumpert has been a "well he's got potential" player since he's entered the league. Hardaway is a fine player, but not enough for Hinkie to even entertain this.

Every single team that needs to dump salary will be calling the Sixers because of the cap space they have. They're going to get much better offers for a salary dump than this. The Jeremy Lin trade being floated out there has a lot of more value because Houston has picks, young NBA talent and foreign talent to include.
        Last edited by Sect 236; 07-08-2014, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JDuggernaut View Post
          Thad Young would have to be a part of the deal I would imagine. Maybe Mullens as well
          Hey diehard Philly sports fan in TN...Mullens isn't even on the team anymore.

Stop posting.

Comment

Never claimed to be a "die-hard Philly sports fan," just an Eagles fan. I have no real affinity for the 76ers, but I do like discussing NBA moves. Forgive me for not keeping track of Byron Mullens. Most outside of Philly would have never known he was there in the 1st place.

Comment

Never claimed to be a "die-hard Philly sports fan," just an Eagles fan. I have no real affinity for the 76ers, but I do like discussing NBA moves. Forgive me for not keeping track of Byron Mullens. Most outside of Philly would have never known he was there in the 1st place.
              You tried to sound smart by including him in a potential deal. A deal that you first said would need to include Thad Young. A salary dump that includes the team taking on the salary trading their best trade chip.

If you "like discussing NBA moves" I recommend you study the game, the league and the rules/regulations/procedures before trying to discuss it any further.

Edit to add: If Hinkie ever did do this deal, he's sending Jason Richardson to NYC. Thad has value, so they can get something at the deadline for him.
              Last edited by Sect 236; 07-08-2014, 04:08 PM.

Comment

JHuggmynuts

Comment

It's crazy how one sport differs from another. In football, giving a player to another team along w/ something else of value just to unload salary couldn't happen but the team could find a way to just cut the player and deal w/ the cap hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Sect 236 View Post
                    You tried to sound smart by including him in a potential deal. A deal that you first said would need to include Thad Young. A salary dump that includes the team taking on the salary trading their best trade chip.

If you "like discussing NBA moves" I recommend you study the game, the league and the rules/regulations/procedures before trying to discuss it any further.

Edit to add: If Hinkie ever did do this deal, he's sending Jason Richardson to NYC. Thad has value, so they can get something at the deadline for him.
                    Jackson wouldn't do the deal if it meant taking Richardson. If he's giving up Shumpert or Hardaway, he'd likely want a little something in turn, and taking Richardson would not give him nearly the salary relief he would desire. With Embiid, Noel, and Stoudamire in the fold, Young would seem to be the odd man out, unless Embiid is going to miss significant time, which is likely. Don't act like Young is not reasonable just because I suggested it. He's been rumored to be traded for a long time now, including times when he had more value than he does now.

And I don't see how one throw-away sentence about Byron Mullens equated to me "trying to sound smart."

Comment

J-Rich is due to make $6 mill. Amare and Shump combined is about $20 mill. $14 mill in relief.

Hinkie didn't call Jackson asking for Shump or Amare. Jackson is looking to get rid of his pieces. Thad will be traded, but not in this deal. I don't think Hinkie sees value in trading Thad for Shumpert.

With Embiid, Noel, and Stoudamire in the fold, Young would seem to be the odd man out, unless Embiid is going to miss significant time, which is likely
                      First, it seems "likely" that Embiid misses significant time? Nerlens sat out all last year even when he was healthy, you don't think it's a lock they use the same strategy with Embiid?

Second, Thad seems like the odd man out with those 3 on the roster? A) Thad can opt out after this year, which he will do, so he can control his own destiny there. B) If he didn't want to opt out, he can play SF, a position that none of Amare, Embiid or Noel can play. Amare is the odd man out. He plays no role in the Sixers future.

This is how a salary dump works. A team with cap space (Sixers) takes on a bad contract (Amare) from a team with no cap space (Knicks). The bad contact (Amare) is not a player the team with cap space (Sixers) really care about, they're (Sixers) only doing the deal to get other assets (Shump/Hardaway). The team with cap space (Sixers) doesn't trade one of their assets (Thad) just to get a bad contract/useless player (Amare) and another asset (Shump/Hardaway) back.

Lest we forget, Hinkie is going to get better salary dump offers from other teams anyway.
                      Last edited by Sect 236; 07-08-2014, 04:46 PM.

Comment

It would be Shumpert and A LOT of cap space for next year with team options for everyone they currently have under contract. Plus, it would give them a better shot at getting a high draft pick again if they got rid of Young and just ate Richardson's salary this year. A team of Noel, Embiid (if healthy), Shumpert, MCW, and Saric with possibly 50 mil in cap space to spend would be smarter than moving Young for a couple of bench guys with and their contracts. Why don't you look at what next offseason would look like for your 76ers if they did the Young deal instead of calling me an idiot for no reason.

Comment

It would be Shumpert and A LOT of cap space for next year with team options for everyone they currently have under contract. Plus, it would give them a better shot at getting a high draft pick again if they got rid of Young and just ate Richardson's salary this year. A team of Noel, Embiid (if healthy), Shumpert, MCW, and Saric with possibly 50 mil in cap space to spend would be smarter than moving Young for a couple of bench guys with and their contracts. Why don't you look at what next offseason would look like for your 76ers if they did the Young deal instead of calling me an idiot for no reason.
                          Shumpert isn't very good. Saric isn't coming over for 2 years. You discuss basketball like you rap…poorly.

Comment

I know when Saric is coming over. I watched the draft, dick. All I was saying is that would be the core to build around going into next offseason. It would give them over 50 million in cap space, even after picking up options for Noel and MCW. Shumpert is better than anyone the Sixers currently have on the wing, he's young, and he has the chance to improve. You just don't want to admit that doing what I said would be a great idea to build for the future because for some fucking reason people on here act like I have the plague. They could add a max contract and two good starters with some $ left over, not to mention a likely top 10 pick, to that core I described if they traded Young for Stat and Shump. Now please tell me how I need to read about rules, regulations, and protocol again because clearly having 5 or 6 good young players and 50 mil in cap space would be a terrible problem to have.
                            Last edited by JDuggernaut; 07-08-2014, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Shump has a PER of 9.66. Hollis Thompson has a PER of 9.50. Tony Wroten has a PER of 12.96.

Wroten and Hollis are both younger than Shump. Wroten and Hollis are both bigger than Shump.

Hollis is a better 3-pt shooter than Shump. Hollis plays similar D to Shump. Wroten is as athletic as Shump.

Shump is a guy who got a name because of his hairstyle, his athleticism, the potential he showed and for playing in NYC. He's never gotten any better in his career.

You said it yourself, you don't follow the Sixers, so you wouldn't know much about Wroten or Hollis. The only thing Shump has over either is his name. Neither is ever going to be an All-Star but they are both just as good (with more potential to get better) as Shumpert and already know Brown's system.

Hardaway is a different argument, and I'd consider Hardaway maybe, but Shump does nothing for me. However, to take on Amare's contract, I want a truly valuable piece, and I don't know if Hardaway is really that much more valuable than the players you already have.
                              Last edited by Sect 236; 07-08-2014, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X