Gotta get vinny more starting reps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pete View Post
    would come at the expense of Thornton and Cox. I think the coaching staff just continues to wait for the light to go on for Cox and Thornton does not deserve to come off the field the way he plays the run and gets his hands up.

I have wondered if Curry may eventually replace Cox if Cox continues to be average.
    I have a feeling Vinny Curry will never start in a Chip Kelly 2-gap 3-4. He's just not what they want at DE. Plus, even if Cox or Thornton get injured, I feel like Kelly would be more likely to put his boy Taylor Hart into the starting role. Even Brandon Bair (another ex-Oregon guy) looked pretty legit at DE.

Make Curry a big part of your nickle and dime package and you're still getting great value out of him. This year he could easily become the Brandon Boykin of the D-line without any starting snaps.

Comment

Decent read about the subject...

http://www.csnphilly.com/football-ph...part-time-role

Comment

Ok, so I have to ask, any possibilities that he could play a linebacker role? If he is already tapped out at 278, and feels sloppy at 300 would he be more effective at 260?

I am not big for moving people to positions they are not accustom with, but like others, I would like to see him play more. I could see him as a gap blitzing LB.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Road View Post
          Ok, so I have to ask, any possibilities that he could play a linebacker role? If he is already tapped out at 278, and feels sloppy at 300 would he be more effective at 260?

I am not big for moving people to positions they are not accustom with, but like others, I would like to see him play more. I could see him as a gap blitzing LB.
          They don't want OLBs that only pass rush. That defeats the purpose of running the 3-4. I actually think he's benefiting from lining up across from guards as basically a 4-3 DT rather than tackles that he'd go against as a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB.

If their offense gets going early and is more consistent, he'll play a lot more in their nickel package as teams try to catch up. His first step is insane, though.
          "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

I watched the Billy Davis press conference that article quotes. However he does as defensive coordinator, that great is certainly a great communicator. Polar opposite of Juan Castillo.

I feel like both Vinny Curry and Fletcher Cox are in the same boat: Great playmakers who could maximize their skills in other schemes. I think the Eagles will get what they can from both while on their rookie contracts, and then watch them sign big dollar contracts with 4-3 teams.

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't even be mad if this happens. The playmakers in the 3-4 are the LBs, and we need to spend the next few offseasons seriously investing at those spots, rather than pouring money into players who aren't exact fits.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Drives a Van View Post
              I watched the Billy Davis press conference that article quotes. However he does as defensive coordinator, that great is certainly a great communicator. Polar opposite of Juan Castillo.

I feel like both Vinny Curry and Fletcher Cox are in the same boat: Great playmakers who could maximize their skills in other schemes. I think the Eagles will get what they can from both while on their rookie contracts, and then watch them sign big dollar contracts with 4-3 teams.

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't even be mad if this happens. The playmakers in the 3-4 are the LBs, and we need to spend the next few offseasons seriously investing at those spots, rather than pouring money into players who aren't exact fits.
              Ya, I think I agree about them walking after the contracts are up.

Comment

1st and 2nd round picks...

Comment

Size is a moron's reason not to play a guy who can play.
                  Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Wrong scheme

Only useful on 3rd down. Cannot engage an offensive lineman and play 2 gaps on running downs. Gets worked over.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
                      Size is a moron's reason not to play a guy who can play.
                      Desean Jackson was pretty quick, they should have had him in at DE under the Wide-9. Imagine how fast he'd get to the QB.
                      --
                      Your Retarded

Comment

Thats whats being said but The DC seems to think

Originally posted by Two Gap Penetrator View Post
                        Only useful on 3rd down. Cannot engage an offensive lineman and play 2 gaps on running downs. Gets worked over.
                        he is getting better at the 2 Gap scheme and he is 280lbs,,,I think the guy will eventually learn how to set the edge..
                        OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
                        "BFTR"

Comment

Why didn't you go with Peter Dinklage?

Too stupid even for you?
                          Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by ishimonster View Post
                            1st and 2nd round picks...
                            I'm aware, but you can't just hold on to guys based on where they were picked.

Comment

I think the more Davis talks them up

Originally posted by Ground_Meat View Post
                              I'm aware, but you can't just hold on to guys based on where they were picked.
                              As adapting to the 3-4, the more valuable they may become in trade talks. Both Curry and Cox.

If you trot your coach out there and he says they are poor fits, teams just wait out the Eagles.

I would suggest a straight up trade of Cox for Dion Jordan. Two good players who are not fit for current regimes' schemes.

Comment

Originally posted by Two Gap Penetrator View Post

That's why I suggested a switch to LB. If he dropped just a couple of pounds he would be very close to Barwin in stature.

Comment

Working...
                                X