If you think you had a bad day Just ask Tony Stewart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eagle Road View Post
    So, I can assume you have dirt track or at least track racing experience? I just think that you and a lot of other people are really jumping to conclusions.

First off, I have yet to see a really GOOD tape of the incident, also keep something in mind, what you may or may not see on a tape that was taken presumable from an elevated vantage point, either the top of a hauler or up in the stands will be SUBSTANTIALLY different from what the drivers viewpoint will be from a head on perspective at ground level than from a side view.

The driver was wearing a dark colored suit, yes you can see reflective tape from the side view, you would not see it from a front view.

Also take note of the car that was in front of Stewart, yes, he swerved to miss the kid, how do you know that when he cut down in front of Stewart he didn't obscure Stewart view?

Way to many possibilities out there without an in car shot, (and you may get that, as TS USUALLY runs a GO Pro camera setup on his car in these type of races, but even that just proves that he MIGHT have seen him, still doesn't mean he did.

Not a TS homer, just pointing out what I know a track like that looks like from the drivers seat, in a darkened corner with a dirty visor.

I'll leave you with the last words that are usually spoken at the drivers meeting before the race, and they are, UNLESS you car is on fire, you stay put until safety truck arrives.

Just telling it like it is, take from it what you want.
    Defend him all you wish. If I were on a jury I would vote for manslaughter. Your arguement did not convince me otherwise.

And you can't take my opinion away from me. Of course, you are entitled to your opinion as well.
    --------
    "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Originally posted by Hopkins 48 View Post
      YOU Have no clue what it's like to drive one of those cars so I would think you should just wait til all the findings come out. (I did drive in a similar class for 8 years.) first off, the helmets worn have a very narrow opening in which to see, along with thin strips of plastic layered on the shield. They are cAlled tear- offs. The driver in a feature race, which this was, may have 4 to 6 of these on. The driver tears them off once they get full of clay. Also, if you notice the car before him had to swerve at the last minute to avoid the victim, who was wearing a black suit and helmet. The other thing you cannot imagine, is the adrenaline rush you are going through driving these types of cars, it is not your normal reactions that you would have driving down the highway, or on a video game.
      I think he tried to run over the victim. You and I can disagree and that's fine.

We and Tony Stewart are not dead.

I believe he ran over the guy on purpose.
      --------

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
        Defend him all you wish. If I were on a jury I would vote for manslaughter. Your arguement did not convince me otherwise.

And you can't take my opinion away from me. Of course, you are entitled to your opinion as well.

Not trying to defend him, just trying to point out there is a lot going on in that situation that your normal soccer mom, or dad, would not have a clue about.

Of course, you are more than entitled to your opinion, just hope that some day you are not on trial for vehicular manslaughter, and have people on the jury that have no clue and just jump to a conclusion.

Comment

Not trying to defend him, just trying to point out there is a lot going on in that situation that your normal soccer mom, or dad, would not have a clue about.

Of course, you are more than entitled to your opinion, just hope that some day you are not on trial for vehicular manslaughter, and have people on the jury that have no clue and just jump to a conclusion.
          In my opinion we should have a lot more vehicular manslaughter trials. A lot of drivers get away with stuff they should not, IMO.
          --------

Comment

In my opinion we should have a lot more vehicular manslaughter trials. A lot of drivers get away with stuff they should not, IMO.

Agreed, a LOT of people get away with stuff they should not, most of them are ignorant of how to even properly operate a motor vehicle let alone provide any courtesy when driving.

Road rage is easy to fix, keep stupid and inconsiderate drivers out of vehicles.

Comment

Agreed, a LOT of people get away with stuff they should not, most of them are ignorant of how to even properly operate a motor vehicle let alone provide any courtesy when driving.

Road rage is easy to fix, keep stupid and inconsiderate drivers out of vehicles.
              We are in agreement here.
              --------

Comment

I think it is pretty obvious he intended to injure the guy. All of the other drivers avoided the victim easily.

I don't feel sorry for him at all. The person killed was not without fault but this is manslaughter at the very least, IMO.

Haven't seen the video, I will not even look for it.

If somebody died, that is terrible. Tony Stewart plays the villain all the time. He is Mr. Hothead and Like to Fight Guy. However, that doesn't make him guilty. This case in the court of public opinion is going to be very interesting.

I assume his endorsements pull out first.
                500 internet fights, that's the number I figured when I first joined igglephans. 500 internet fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate internet-tough guy. You need them for experience, to develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then...after...you realize that's what you are.

Comment

I agree w IE

Viewing the video it appears/ sounds the TS hit the throttle just as he passes victim. From what I read,and in speaking to a friend who raced similar, those cars are very loose and the rear wheels will lose traction and slide on the dirt track. He ran over him with the rear wheel after the rear end broke loose. That appears to be a deliberate action with unfortunate consequences.

Comment

my reaction is that tony stewart is a hot head and it seemed like he wanted to hurt, or at least scare the guy. but as far as proving intent beyond a reasonable doubt in court i don't think that is possible. especially when the driver of the other car got out and was giving him the finger and shit.

Comment

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
                      my reaction is that tony stewart is a hot head and it seemed like he wanted to hurt, or at least scare the guy. but as far as proving intent beyond a reasonable doubt in court i don't think that is possible. especially when the driver of the other car got out and was giving him the finger and shit.
                      I agree there is no way of knowing his true intentions. I would vote to indict but probably not to convict.
                      --------

Comment

I had the opposite gut reaction

I'm not getting into it too deeply. It's just my gut reaction watching the tape. If I was on a grand jury I would vote to indict for manslaughter.
                        it looked to me like the guy in front of him swered and TS had no time to react. I could be wrong, like I said, purely a gut reaction
                        Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
                        May 7, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Irish George View Post
                          it looked to me like the guy in front of him swered and TS had no time to react. I could be wrong, like I said, purely a gut reaction
                          I just think the guy is a skilled professional driver and most likely was in control of what his vehicle was doing.

But also agree there is no way to know his true intentions.
                          --------

Comment

This is being discussed on a racing board that I frequent, this is a conversation between myself, (transporter) and a race track corner worker (the Champ) again, just take from it what you will.

Originally posted by The Champ
                            Transporter
                            I've been a corner worker at a dirt track that runs everything from Street Stocks to Modifieds to Late Models and Sprint Cars. And what you say is 100% accurate.

Originally posted by Transporter
                            I have seen some of the most inexplicable things happen when the yellow flag comes out, everyone seems to think that as soon as that flag waves that everything stops or slows down, isn't always like that.

You have people running flat out trying to "catch" the pack, you have others that are severing around trying to find their "place".

Drivers are adjusting their belts, checking gauges, adjusting brake bias or wing angle (depending on class) cleaning shields, pulling tear off's etc.

You are NOT looking for someone trying to step in front of your car.

Originally posted by The Champ
                            Trust me, I appreciate what you're saying. Been there, did that, done that.

Also keep something else in mind, SEVERAL corner/safety/track workers get hit EVERY year, some get killed, and these guys are ALL wearing bright colored clothing and some are waving flags, and a lot of this happens in broad daylight!
                            Last edited by Eagle Road; 08-11-2014, 09:17 AM.

Comment

I don't know much about him as I don't follow NASCAR. From watching the tape I do believe what happened was intentional or at the very least overly risky. He could have easily had steered clear. But to the contrary, to my eyes it appears he steered into the guy.
                              You're wrong... He was coming off a bend, you pre determine your speed coming around a bend based on where you are so you don't get in an accident yourself, and he probably didn't see him till the last second and then he hit him. No way it was intentional....

Comment

For those of you that have never raced "sideways" here is a good shot of the limited visibility out of these cars, add in bad lighting, camera glare, and a number of other variables.

Also keep in mind, this is the wide open "camera" view, the drivers vision is further limited from the sides of his helmet/shield.

http://youtu.be/6M9wpl_59Rk

Comment

Working...
                                X