Mathis released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like it

Either you're committed to winning under Chip's terms or you're out.

2 SB appearances in next 5 years as long as Bradford can play.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyuk View Post
      He'd have a difficult time proving that. He's been on record saying he wanted more money for 2 seasons now. He should have taken the deal that Roseman offered him last year. Like Herremans, he thought he could get more money elsewhere. And like Herremans, he'll be sorely disappointed. Most teams aren't flush with cash right now. The Eagles asked Herremans to reduce his salary by 500K and he refused. When he signed with the Colts, it was the same offer the Eagles asked him to take. Do you think some team is going to pay Mathis 11.5M over the next 2 years?
      No chance he sees that $$ - he screwed himself. I love it from that angle.

Comment

Originally posted by smg View Post
        Chip better make sure his ass in the playoffs this upcoming season
        Shut up
        I'm not the hill you want to die on

Comment

Odd thing about this whole thing, Mathis wanting out, is that he didn't play well and was a journeyman who bounced around the league until he got to the Eagles.

So, potentially he'll be going to a team where he won't be as good for less money. Ok then....Buh BYE
          YOU KILLED TED YOU MEDIEVAL DICKWEED!

Comment

Originally posted by Cheesesteak View Post
            Odd thing about this whole thing, Mathis wanting out, is that he didn't play well and was a journeyman who bounced around the league until he got to the Eagles.

So, potentially he'll be going to a team where he won't be as good for less money. Ok then....Buh BYE
            He won't be playing next to Jason Peters in his next gig.

Also note that the OL got a lot younger this offseason. I don't think Mathis' skills are going to improve over time. Of course the same could be said for Peters.

And don't forget that Mathis missed 8 games last season.
            --------
            "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
              And don't forget that Mathis missed 8 games last season.
              So he played 8 more games than Bradford and Alonso combined.

I think it's a bad precedent to release unhappy players. No idea how it works out for Mathis but provides a blueprint for the next players that want out of Kelly-land.

Kelly is getting ripped on NFL radio this morning.
              Last edited by Maniac; 06-12-2015, 08:28 AM.
              Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

This mornings paper (http://www.theintell.com/sports/eagl...2378e9c8a.html) said that it hasn't been announced by Eagles yet, so it isn't official. Also, it appears he is still listed on the roster on the team site.

Maybe this is timing.
                Last edited by GroundedBird; 06-12-2015, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Yeah, this move makes no sense. Make him play out the contract.
                  "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac View Post
                    So he played 8 more games than Bradford and Alonso combined.

I think it's a bad precedent to release unhappy players. No idea how it works out for Mathis but provides a blueprint for the next players that want out of Kelly-land.

Kelly is getting ripped on NFL radio this morning.
                    To me the issue of releasing unhappy players is case dependent. Sometimes I think it is a bad idea, other times I think it is the right thing to do. In the case of Mathis, I am leaning towards it was the right thing to do.

I do think they should have done something more to address the offensive line during the offseason.
                    --------

Comment

Originally posted by Melchior View Post
                      Yeah, this move makes no sense. Make him play out the contract.
                      There are good business reasons not to give unhappy players a free pass to the free agent market.

The move also signals to other players who are unhappy with their contracts that there's a way out. Sure, Mathis might not get a better deal on the open market. But the bottom line is he did not want to play here under his current deal, and now he gets a chance to see if there's anything better out there.

If Eagles players feel they've outperformed their deals in the future, they very well could follow Mathis' blueprint.
                      Http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/20.../#more-2969097
                      Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

My way or the highway is fine, but if it goes wrong Chip's highway leads to Austin or Auburn or Lincoln or Gainesville or Los Angeles while the team's highway leads back to 2012 and the shitheap all over again.

Comment

Originally posted by RSE View Post
                          My way or the highway is fine, but if it goes wrong Chip's highway leads to Austin or Auburn or Lincoln or Gainesville or Los Angeles while the team's highway leads back to 2012 and the shitheap all over again.
                          Yup. Totally agree.
                          --------

Comment

See it works both ways in the NFL. In college the highway is transfer at best or the pine at worst and four years wasted. For Mathis it's a job for damn good money somewhere else, just like it was for Jackson, McCoy, and Maclin.

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
                              Yup. Totally agree.
                              Me too. Just like pretty much any other NFL head coach.
                              Last edited by TerpEagle; 06-12-2015, 10:27 AM.
                              --
                              Your Retarded

Comment

Originally posted by RSE View Post
                                See it works both ways in the NFL. In college the highway is transfer at best or the pine at worst and four years wasted. For Mathis it's a job for damn good money somewhere else, just like it was for Jackson, McCoy, and Maclin.
                                Yup.

The reason I'm not totally opposed to the release of Mathis is that I have the sense that this more that a contract dispute. I think it has become personal on some levels between Kelly and Mathis.
                                --------

Comment

Working...
                                X