The Monty Hall Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Monty Hall Problem

Suppose you are on Let's Make A Deal, and Monty Hall shows you three doors. Behind two doors are booby prizes, behind the third a million dollars. You choose Door A. Monty then shows you that behind Door C is a booby prize and asks you if you want to switch to Door B or stick with Door A. What do you do?

Originally posted by RSE View Post
    Suppose you are on Let's Make A Deal, and Monty Hall shows you three doors. Behind two doors are booby prizes, behind the third a million dollars. You choose Door A. Monty then shows you that behind Door C is a booby prize and asks you if you want to switch to Door B or stick with Door A. What do you do?
    I've heard this problem. I think it depends on what perspective you choose, but you pick the other door in the second round.

Your first choice had a 66.7% probability of being a dud so a 33.3% success rate. You now have the option at a 50% success rate - your odds have improved so you take it.
    --
    Your Retarded

Comment

You just had to start that shit again, didn't you.

Comment

People are bored here? This is worse than being bored.

Comment

If you're an Igglephan, you pull out your gun and press it against Monty's temple.... and tell him to choose for you.

However, if you're KG, you happily take the booby prize

Comment

People are bored here? This is worse than being bored.
            Bwah...yeah, it's a "be careful what you wish for" thing.

Comment

Level of agreement (c) 100%

Originally posted by Susquehanna Birder View Post
              You just had to start that shit again, didn't you.
              We had this solved years ago. 🐸 (I just now discovered this frog on my iPad, so I put it in here)

The correct answer, as I recall, is to beat Bob over the head with a 5 iron until he coughs up where the prize is.
              "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you."

Comment

bwahahaha

Pigfucker!
                John Erlichman, one of President Richard Nixon's closest aides, has admitted America's "War on Drugs" was a hoax designed to vilify and disrupt "the antiwar left and black people" when it was launched in 1971.

Comment

Hitler

Comment

Or play him Bonnie Raitt songs until he just gives you all the shit
                    John Erlichman, one of President Richard Nixon's closest aides, has admitted America's "War on Drugs" was a hoax designed to vilify and disrupt "the antiwar left and black people" when it was launched in 1971.

Comment

Hahaha.

Comment

Originally posted by TerpEagle View Post
                        I've heard this problem. I think it depends on what perspective you choose, but you pick the other door in the second round.

Your first choice had a 66.7% probability of being a dud so a 33.3% success rate. You now have the option at a 50% success rate - your odds have improved so you take it.
                        The odds of your first choice being right or wrong do not change. I agree you switch, but if you do your odds of being right are 2/3, not 1/2
                        Last edited by common wealth; 07-22-2015, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by common wealth View Post
                          The odds of your first choice being right or wrong do not change. I agree you switch, but if you do your odds of being right are 2/3, not 1/2
                          Is that because once one poor choice is removed, the odds of an original poor choice (2/3) are multiplied by 1/2 thus becoming 1/3?
                          --
                          Your Retarded

Comment

Originally posted by TerpEagle View Post
                            Is that because once one poor choice is removed, the odds of an original poor choice (2/3) are multiplied by 1/2 thus becoming 1/3?
                            It's because Monty has knowledge and by using it to show you a booby prize whether or not you originally selected the winning prize he takes randomness away.

You originally had a 1/3 chance of selecting the winning prize. If you didn't originally select the winning prize and selected a boob, Monty has to show the other remaining booby prize. So by switching your odds go from 1/3 to 2/3. In other words, if your original selection was not the winning prize, by switching you win the prize.

Let's say the prize is in door 1.

Case 1: You originally pick door 1. Monty shows you a boob in either door 2 or 3. You switch = BOOB

Case 2: You orginally pick door 2. Monty has to show you door 3 since door 1 has the prize. You switch = WIN

Case 3: You orginally pick door 3. Monty has to show you door 2 since door 1 has the prize. You switch = WIN

Thus in 2 out of 3 cases a switch equals WIN and 1 out of 3 equals BOOB.

It's simple algebra.
                            --------
                            "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Jeffrey Dahmer

Jeffrey Dahmer
                              Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
                              May 7, 2010

Comment

Working...
                              X