Of course this happened in Irving, Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TerpEagle View Post
    So you actually did make a bomb? Were you handcuffed?

Regardless, that somehow means that a clock made by a Muslim kid should be assumed to have this inside it?

Why shouldn't it be assumed that every kid is carrying this stuff around as well?
    Everybody here is good at judging other people based on their self-supported ideas of race rather than factually knowing what actually went on. Good job everybody else is influenced by race but you. As a matter of fact Muslim is not a race while your at it so guess its not so much racism as it is religious persecution. Jokers like you race baiters love to grasp at straws and find narratives that fit your preconceived notions because you think it makes you look smart. You are the problem because your minds are not open enough to accept that we are all more complex then your simple judgments.

Comment

Whoa. He's done serious internet research on this event. His position is unassailable on the topic.

Comment

Nothing but race baiting gun nutz on this bored.
        500 internet fights, that's the number I figured when I first joined igglephans. 500 internet fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate internet-tough guy. You need them for experience, to develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then...after...you realize that's what you are.

Comment

OT/FB: That Benny Hinn Jedi Shit was why the internet was invented

Comment

I didn't get caught

To your question, kids get sent home for bringing in 1 inch plastic toy guns these days so yeah, any kid carrying something suspicious to school should be under scrutiny
            "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

If you work for the gov't, protocol for this sort of thing dictates that anything with wires hanging out is suspect.

I feel bad that a clever kid got a shakedown, but we're in shitty times.

Comment

Excellent attempt at re-direct. Thanks for addressing the fact that his clock you linked to looked like dynamite right here:

Ahmed's clock consisting of a project box, wires, a circuit board and what looks like a transformer:

This is flat out ridiculous. It combines bigotry, ignorance, and fear in a perfect storm.

It just goes to show how pussified and fearful our country has become... because the fear is pushed to many people every day. By all media... not just FOX (although I would say that FOX is the most skilled at presenting a combined consistent message).

But, on the other hand I guess we are strong if we have a gun to protect ourselves against a bomb that could be hidden and go off at any moment! Shoot dat bomb!

It also goes to show how stupid some bureaucrats and other government functionaries can be.

This clock the kid built looks like the kind of thing I used to build in the 1970's when I was around Ahmed's age.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/radiosh...ental_kit.html

And for you conservatives who hate teachers... it's a perfect opportunity to bash them for being stupid! Why aren't you doing so?
                --------
                "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Excellent attempt at re-direct. Thanks for addressing the fact that his clock you linked to looked like dynamite right here:

Ahmed's clock consisting of a project box, wires, a circuit board and what looks like a transformer:

I waited until I had a chance to see a picture of the clock before I responded.

This is flat out ridiculous. It combines bigotry, ignorance, and fear in a perfect storm.

It just goes to show how pussified and fearful our country has become... because the fear is pushed to many people every day. By all media... not just FOX (although I would say that FOX is the most skilled at presenting a combined consistent message).

But, on the other hand I guess we are strong if we have a gun to protect ourselves against a bomb that could be hidden and go off at any moment!

It also goes to show how stupid some bureaucrats and other government functionaries can be.

This clock the kid built looks like the kind of thing I used to build in the late 1970's when I was around Ahmed's age.

And for you conservatives who hate teachers and other educators... it's a perfect opportunity to bash them for being stupid! Why aren't you doing so?
                  --------

Comment

I don't disagree with any of your points, but I'm not going to over critique it without being there. The one thing I can't figure out is that the teachers should have known this was a smart engineering-type NASA loving kid. New school-year new teachers?

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
                      I waited until I had a chance to see a picture of the clock before I responded.

But, on the other hand I guess we are strong if we have a gun to protect ourselves against a bomb that could be hidden and go off at any moment!

This clock the kid built looks like the kind of thing I used to build in the late 1970's when I was around Ahmed's age.

And for you conservatives who hate teachers... it's a perfect opportunity to bash them for being stupid! Why aren't you doing so?
                      So you are the judge? Guess giving people the benefit of the doubt or innocent until proven guilty are foreign concepts except if it applies to someone you are close to. Other than a news story you have no information what really happened here but you can say it was based on bigotry, ignorance and fear. Maybe its based on fear of violence in schools which is all too common and rather than being a victim they choose to be safe. I guess you can go on thinking you know what someone is thinking after all it makes you correct.

Comment

Interesting viewpoint

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
                        I'm sure you were equally outraged about this

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/05/19...let-in-pocket/

Comment

Why should that matter?

Originally posted by AthensEagle View Post
                          The one thing I can't figure out is that the teachers should have known this was a smart engineering-type NASA loving kid. New school-year new teachers?
                          Schools have a zero tolerance policy on such things (including bringing plastic 1 inch toy guns to school)

Comment

If you know the kid is smart and tinkers with that stuff, you give him the benefit of the doubt when he says its a clock. If you don't know the kid and you hear beeps in a backpack and it looks like that wiry mess, then yeah, you get suspect.

I'm willing to bet even with all the zero-tolerance cases that make the news, there are 10x more out there where a teacher knows better, and pockets the pop-tart, nerf dart or whatever and life goes on as usual for all concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by AthensEagle View Post
                              I don't disagree with any of your points, but I'm not going to over critique it without being there. The one thing I can't figure out is that the teachers should have known this was a smart engineering-type NASA loving kid. New school-year new teachers?
                              Just look at the size of the thing. You can judge it by the size of the plug.

Common sense says this is not a Tsarnaev level pressure cooker bomb.

Common sense also says this could not be a bomb capable of doing much damage at all unless this kid is some sort of super genius who has discovered a new form of explosive that is incredibly powerful without taking up much space.

Use common sense. Don't run scared. Many of us have become pussified.

Also "Zero tolerance" is crap. It's brain dead nonsense for dealing with things. In fact, "Zero tolerance" is basically stating that the people in charge are not smart enough to make any judgement decisions.

To me, Occam's Razor says this situation is what it appears to be. Bigotry, Ignorance and Fear.

Ok, so maybe the English teacher knows nothing about electronics. He is ignorant about electronics and fearful. The kid is a muslim. So he calls the cops.

The cops arrive, secure the location and question the kid. Certainly there was no need to arrest the child and handcuff him after he explained it was a clock. And a three day suspension? Again Bigotry, Ignorance and Fear (not necessarily in that order).
                              --------

Comment

Originally posted by Riccardo View Post
                                I'm sure you were equally outraged about this

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/05/19...let-in-pocket/
                                That's idiotic.
                                --------

Comment

Working...
                                X