X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sam calls bullshit

Offer never existed

http://www.csnphilly.com/football-ph...-got-lost-mail
    John Erlichman, one of President Richard Nixon's closest aides, has admitted America's "War on Drugs" was a hoax designed to vilify and disrupt "the antiwar left and black people" when it was launched in 1971.

Comment

Burger King wrong again
      "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

He said, quote, I never saw that one. That's a rehearsed choice of words. The offer would have been made to his agent lawyer, not the client principal. So Bumford never saw it.

Comment

Originally posted by RSE View Post
          He said, quote, I never saw that one. That's a rehearsed choice of words. The offer would have been made to his agent lawyer, not the client principal. So Bumford never saw it.
          This is basically it, as I see it.
          --------
          "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

It serves both parties. The Eagles never made a ridiculous offer; Bumford and his agent didn't turn down a huge offer. Win win.

Comment

Isn't an agent obligated to take an offer to the client?

Comment

You're thinking of million dollar listing Los Angeles.

Comment

I don't know the legal/ethical relationship between sports agent and client, but I would think so. And why wouldn't he bring it to him? He's gonna get paid off that too. Maybe Bradford never "saw" the offer as in he never laid his eyes on the official offer in paper or electronic form.
                  "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

yeah that's a silly argument

Originally posted by Susquehanna Birder View Post
                    Isn't an agent obligated to take an offer to the client?
                    I guess they are claiming sham heard the offer verbally but never "saw" it in writing?
                    "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post
                      I don't know the legal/ethical relationship between sports agent and client, but I would think so. And why wouldn't he bring it to him? He's gonna get paid off that too. Maybe Bradford never "saw" the offer as in he never laid his eyes on the official offer in paper or electronic form.
                      What if Bradford told his agent something like "Don't bother me with anything less than X dollars guaranteed" ?

One thing about the crazy offer is that we have no idea how it was structured.

Also, since the deal was offered before the season you would think that year one of the proposal would have replaced Bradford's final year of his current contract.
                      --------
                      "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Interesting question. I don't know. I know when I was doing transactional work, mostly in the context of commercial/residential real estate deals (not exactly the same as a sports agent, obviously), if a client had said that to me, for no other reason than protecting myself, I would still at least send them an fyi email. Maybe if the agent had something in writing from Bradford requesting that it not be brought to his attention. But if it was just verbal, I think you still send it over because if there is a dispute it's just his word against yours.

Edited to add: My deals were typically not in the 70 million dollar range so things could be different. RSE would probably know better.
                        Last edited by McCarthy12; 11-05-2015, 10:46 AM.

Comment

This is funnier than a Ricardo joke about train wrecks.

If the Eagles made an offer, Bradford knew about it. No Agent is going to keep a multi year, multi million dollar offer to himself. . And no player is going to tell his agent . Don't tell me about any multi year, multi million dollar offer. I'd rather tear my ACL AGAIN WITH NO $$ to take me into retirement. The whole thing is absurd.

The Questions are. Was there an offer? What was it? Unless the offer was made right after that Miracle in Green Bay pre season game, I doubt there was one.

Comment

I guess you've never dealt with lawyers. You of all people might use the word Clintonian.

The Eagles never made me such an offer. Is that so hard to say?

Comment

I have a strict rule. If there is anything I really want the client to know, I pick up the phone and call him/her/it. I'm not big on email or paper trails.

Comment

Even in a situation where a lack of a paper trail could come back to bite you? I prefer the phone as well. I guess I just think it is more personal to call than to email. But in this hypothetical where client says not to tell him and you get an offer, don't you want to document that you brought it to his attention - at least if his instruction was also verbal?

Comment

Working...
                                X