No announcement yet.

its a shame the politicos cant wait for the body to cool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just as Kegan or Sotomayor are typically guaranteed for the other. I'm not arguing that he wasn't slanted in his views. He was. But I don't think he was special in that regard. You only have one or two justices at this point that are unknowns on the more politically tinged cases.
    "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
      Honestly he was about my most hated political figure. And when I say "political" I mean it. He politicized being a judge, IMO, and was a poster child for why it might be a good idea to have Supreme Court justices NOT nominated for life.

I wonder what Overbrook thinks of him? (See what I did there?)

Surprised that he would be your nomination for Not for life, but no mention of RBG? Maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post
        Just as Kegan or Sotomayor are typically guaranteed for the other. I'm not arguing that he wasn't slanted in his views. He was. But I don't think he was special in that regard. You only have one or two justices at this point that are unknowns on the more politically tinged cases.
        You are really going to say the acidity or amount of contempt Scalia held for those that did not agree with him was similar to Kegan or Sotomayor?

You are really saying he was more open to listening to opposing views? I disagree with your perspective. I guess you juist agreed with his perspective and are therefore defending him.
        --------
        "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Ironically, Scalia and Ginsburg were good friends. I think they traveled together. He was polarizing but very well respected by his piers, even those with whom he frequently disagreed.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Road View Post
            Surprised that he would be your nomination for Not for life, but no mention of RBG? Maybe not.
            She's not an asshole.

But yeah I think in general nominating anybody to any office for life is not a good idea. The two of them should both have been out of office a long time ago.

I'd say something like one 20 year term would be good. One problem I see with the current system is that it encourages Presidents to nominate younger people over more qualified older people in the hope the person will be on the court longer.
            --------

Comment

Not really and not sure what I'm defending him from? That he was a jerk?. Ok. Sure his dissents were "meaner" than those drafted by others. But they were dissents. He lost. I'm unaware of any instance where Sotomayer, Kegan or Ginsburg have surprised anyone on a major vote recently. At the end of the day the vote is all that matters. A mean dissent is still a losing argument.

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
                She's not an asshole.

But yeah I think in general nominating anybody to any office for life is not a good idea. The two of them should both have been out of office a long time ago.

I'd say something like one 20 year term would be good. One problem I see with the current system is that it encourages Presidents to nominate younger people over more qualified older people in the hope the person will be on the court longer.

I can agree with that, or set a "retirement age" for the post, maybe 70?

Comment

Not really and not sure what I'm defending him from? That he was a jerk?. Ok. Sure his dissents were "meaner" than those drafted by others. But they were dissents. He lost. I'm unaware of any instance where Sotomayer, Kegan or Ginsburg have surprised anyone on a major vote recently. At the end of the day the vote is all that matters. A mean dissent is still a losing argument.
                  I don't like jerks in positions of power. I guess you are ok with that.

I accept that jerks do tend to get their way in the world but that doesn't mean I have to like it or I can't stand against them.
                  --------

Comment

Scalia was a bigoted asshole. The world is a better place with him dead.

Comment

Haha. Yes I love jerks and prefer people in power to be assholes. That's a heck of a leap from what I wrote but we'll go with it if it ends this argument.

Comment

Classy.

Comment

Haha. Yes I love jerks and prefer people in power to be assholes. That's a heck of a leap from what I wrote but we'll go with it if it ends this argument.
                          I don't want to fight more but you don't understand how much I hated this guy.
                          --------

Comment

I think I do haha! I respect your opinion, IE.

Comment

I think I do haha! I respect your opinion, IE.
                              There is another member of the SC who is probably my second most hated political figure of all time.

Presidents, Senators, Representatives all have to stand for election every few years but these guys do not.

Perhaps we do not want judges to be elected, but I do feel they should be term limited. Or at the very least up for re-confirmation by the Senate after a term.
                              --------

Comment

I think they should all be term-limited

Lifetime is ridiculous. And senators/reps serving until their 80s- 90s is as well. I don't even understand why these geezers like bernie, hillary and trump want to be president at their age. Many companies make CEOs retire at 65 for a reason
                                "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

Working...
                                X