People say that one of Chip Kelly's big mistakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Susquehanna Birder View Post
    Not trying to discredit, just skeptical of the way you presented it. You're asking us to accept a position based on what a questionable source may or may not have said, and then to formulate an opinion based on that dubious fact. Answering the question validates the premise, which I personally reject.
    Answering the question validates nothing. If you think Lurch and Howie are doing the right thing, just say so! It's ok to disagree!

As for me, I am skeptical about if they are doing the right thing.
    --------
    "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post
      Don't you think they have been communicating with him? Roseman has already said he is going to get superstar money. I can understand some speculation from him, but, at the end of the day, do you think Cox cares if he is the first or fifth guy signed as long as his bottom line is the richest?
      I could be wrong, but I'm definitely under the impression Howie's taking care of the easier deals first, so he can focus on the Cox negotiations. I'd guess he wants to make sure he doesn't come across as distant or disinterested when those negotiations start, as Kelly apparently did with Maclin and others.

Comment

If you had just asked if they made a mistake by not blowing it up and rebuilding, that's all well and good. I don't think that it was mistake. I also think Kelly made no mistake by not rebuilding.

Comment

True, but I haven't read anything that states, with any degree of likelihood, that this two year deal will impede their goal of signing Cox long term to a very lucrative deal.
          "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post
            True, but I haven't read anything that states, with any degree of likelihood, that this two year deal will impede their goal of signing Cox long term to a very lucrative deal.
            We will see. Cox did congratulate Bradford on the deal so maybe I am misreading the situation.

I'd feel a lot better if a deal got done. I just get worried HowLo may be going down the road of letting Cox play out his contract and then tagging him.
            --------
            "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Yeah, ideally I would like to see him get locked up before the season starts. Having all of these guys under contract and on the same page going forward would be a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
                We will see. Cox did congratulate Bradford on the deal so maybe I am misreading the situation.

I'd feel a lot better if a deal got done. I just get worried HowLo may be going down the road of letting Cox play out his contract and then tagging him.
                My take is that since Fletcher Cox's deal is going to be the longest contract out of all of them, they have the most flexibility with how to structure his deal. Had they dealt with him first, they might've handcuffed themselves as far as signing/structuring other players this year.
                "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

Originally posted by capitaleagle View Post
                  It sucks they couldn't get Mariota, but enough teams have shown you can win without the no. 1 or 2 overall pick at QB.
                  If they tanked that first season, they might've had a legitimate shot at drafting Mariota.
                  YOU KILLED TED YOU MEDIEVAL DICKWEED!

Comment

Originally posted by Cheesesteak View Post
                    If they tanked that first season, they might've had a legitimate shot at drafting Mariota.
                    There is no way Chump tank a team even if he wanted Mariota

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
                      was not blowing it up in year one and rebuilding from there.

Are Lurch and Howie making the same mistake?
                      I don't think so. They can always blow it up.

There appears to be a reasonable amount of young talent on the defense. I'd try to replenish the O-line, add a #1 receiver and find out if Pedey can coach this season.
                      Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

The pretzel logic in this thread makes my head hurt.

Comment

What pretzel logic?

Comment

Like Chip should have rebuilt and didn't have players conducive to his system, except the team set offensive records in 2013, but we shouldn't rebuild now at a time when the team is worse (or even) at almost every offensive position from the 2013 team. We were wrong to have hope in 2013 and wrong not to have hope today. I do not get it.

Comment

We are keeping Bradford, who's statistics as Eagles quarterback were worse than Foles's. If Foles's better statistics were from being a product of Chip's system, weren't Bradford's career best statistics last year from being a product of Chip's system? Chip, like Dave, is not here. I guess Foles had better skill position and line players than Bradford did, but the same bums are back and you can't draft everywhere especially if the Eagles are drafting a quarterback of the future. The Eagles are a clusterfuck.

Comment

Gotcha. I think the lesson I learned from Chip Kelly is that your system is only as good as your players. The offense was never the same after he dumped DJax. He downgraded at WR. Downgraded at RB. Downgraded the O line. The team got worse. That's pretty much that.

Comment

Working...
                                X