Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm guessing they will sit a rookie QB

Originally posted by Ellsworth View Post
    Really starting to fear this is going to happen if Rams take Goff.

If they do this they have to also trade Bradford for a couple of picks if possible. Otherwise I don't understand all this $$$ that was thrown at Bradford (when Eagles were only suitor) and Daniel (currently 25th highest paid QB in entire NFL). Couple that with losing a shitload of picks and it's just a dumb move IMO.

If I'm in their shoes with this roster I covet picks, not giving them up. I'd never do this trade.

Doesn't jibe.
    ....for a year behind Bradford while Daniels "teaches" him up, and then phase out Sam the following year??
    "I feel much better now that my pants are on."- overheard conversation at a Gayte

Comment

Maybe if you can trade Bradford for a second or re-coup some of the picks you are giving up to move to 2, then maaaaybe I do it - for Wentz only, not Goff. Still, as others have said, this team has so many holes outside of the qb position, one of which can be filled at 8. I'm still jilted from this team's free agency heavy approach going back to the Dream Team. The best franchises build through the draft and unless Wentz is Tom Brady we can't be successful in tnear future by eliminating our ability to build around him in the draft for several years. Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose?
      Last edited by McCarthy12; 04-20-2016, 09:34 AM.
      "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

IF, you are going with the assumption that they are not going to be that good this year, then would you trade Sam for picks (IF the situation arises) pickup a QB in the later rounds and make Daniels your starter???

Some decent pics for Bradford would fill the most glaring holes on this team and allow you to get a good look at both Daniels and a rookie QB. I believe Daniels deal is already for a year or two longer than Sam's already, isn't it?

As I said, IF you are throwing this year away.
        Last edited by Eagle Road; 04-20-2016, 09:59 AM.

Comment

I just don't see it.

I think Wentz is a nice prospect, and if he somehow fell to 8, great, go for it. But he's hardly a Luck, Winston, or Mariota, and this team has way too many holes to give up that much. They're two-plus years away from competency if they make this trade, and that's assuming Wentz is awesome and the team consistently hits on its other draft picks. Too risky.

Comment

Is ginger Wentz really worth all that? Is he really that much better than Lynch, Cook, Prescott, Brissett, Hogan?

It's just way too high of a price to pay for a QB that there are so many mixed opinions on.

At the end of the day I expect Howie to make the wrong decision

If he makes this move it'll be incredibly unpopular. If Wentz flops it'll cause a level of fan discontent Lurie has never experienced in his entire tenure as owner. He cannot afford the fans to be more pissed off than they already are.
            Last edited by Ellsworth; 04-20-2016, 10:38 AM.

Comment

I'm not throwing the year away because the division is still bad. Here is how I would rate the options:

1. Stay at 8, keep Bradford, draft qb in later rounds - cool
              2. Stay at 8, trade Bradford for more picks, draft qb in later round and start Danie - ok
              3. Trade up to 2 for Wentz, trade Bradford to recoup picks - not crazy about this, but if the Eagles think he is a top 10, franchise QB, then fine.
              4. Same as above but keep Bradford - even less crazy about this.
              5. Same as 3/4 but for Goff - shoot me.

If you are going to get Wentz or Goff he better be Tom Brady because you are giving up the ability to build around him for several years.

Comment

The thing is, he pretty much needs to be Brady level good because you aren't going to be able to build around him for years. I think he is the best of this bunch but I'm skeptical as to whether he is THAT good - or even close to that good. I'd definitely draft him at 8, but I'm skeptical about trading away all those picks when we desperately need them to rebuild. That's what bad teams do.

Comment

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post
                  The thing is, he pretty much needs to be Brady level good because you aren't going to be able to build around him for years. I think he is the best of this bunch but I'm skeptical as to whether he is THAT good - or even close to that good. I'd definitely draft him at 8, but I'm skeptical about trading away all those picks when we desperately need them to rebuild. That's what bad teams do.
                  Espn Cleveland is reporting that the deal in place is swap firsts this year and then only one 3rd this year and the 1st and 3rd next year.

Eh, not that bad if they actually get to keep one of their 3rd round picks this year.

The 1st next year would hurt...but if they think they can get their guy, might as well make the move then.

If it blows up...all is normal in eagles world.
                  “I am going to literally sodomize you on the field of battle. I am going to have non-consensual sex with your face and your butt. Then I’m going after your wife and kid”

Comment

Trying to think of one team that traded away a ton of picks for 1 guy and had it work out in their favor.

Zero point zero percent chance I would move up if I was them.

Comment

This would go to Nerd as well - Is Wentz going to be comparable to RGIII in his rookie year? Obviously different skill sets, but he needs to have year 1 RGIII level impact to justify it. I like Wentz but how much is his stock being inflated due to how sub-par this qb class is?

Comment

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post
                        This would go to Nerd as well - Is Wentz going to be comparable to RGIII in his rookie year? Obviously different skill sets, but he needs to have year 1 RGIII level impact to justify it. I like Wentz but how much is his stock being inflated due to how sub-par this qb class is?
                        You would think so but there is the FCS thing to take into account. Trading up that high would usually indicate they would have to start day 1...but, they signed Bradford and Daniels to pretty decent deals so maybe this was their plan all along. To have the qb sit until the time was needed.

Like, they sign Bradford to a fairly decent deal and then give Daniels a pretty big deal on his own. They move up to 8 and then Howie says that they moved up to 8 with a player in mind. Maybe it was all positioning by Howie just in case they did have to move up to the top 2 to get a player.

Having the 8th pick requires less assets to move up than the 13th pick. PLus, they got the 8th for two guys that weren't wanted here anyway.

it could all be a smokescreen and they are trying to make sure they get Tunsil (seems a lot to give up for an o-line player...but if Pederson is from the andy reid school of doing things...they almost always view o-line and d-line as more important than anything else).
                        Last edited by nerd; 04-20-2016, 12:17 PM.
                        “I am going to literally sodomize you on the field of battle. I am going to have non-consensual sex with your face and your butt. Then I’m going after your wife and kid”

Comment

IF you are going to bring RGIII into this then I have to ask, was RGIII and his demise all about him and a true lack of talent, or was it more about the situation that he was thrown into?

IOW, if we (they) were to move up and draft Wentz, and he gets killed because of all of the lingering holes on the team, does he fair any better?

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Road View Post
                            IF you are going to bring RGIII into this then I have to ask, was RGIII and his demise all about him and a true lack of talent, or was it more about the situation that he was thrown into?

IOW, if we (they) were to move up and draft Wentz, and he gets killed because of all of the lingering holes on the team, does he fair any better?
                            Depends, The eagles drafted weapons (but it looks like the are iffy at best) but with Brooks at guard now and Wisniewski at the other guard position (or at least looks like he will be there)...it looks like they will at least have the makings of a solid o-line.

That Washington line wasn't that good to begin with and he got mauled for it. Right now, the eagles seem to have a decent to good o-line...but that could change.

Comment

Originally posted by nerd View Post
                              Depends, The eagles drafted weapons (but it looks like the are iffy at best) but with Brooks at guard now and Wisniewski at the other guard position (or at least looks like he will be there)...it looks like they will at least have the makings of a solid o-line.

That Washington line wasn't that good to begin with and he got mauled for it. Right now, the eagles seem to have a decent to good o-line...but that could change.
                              I agree Nerd, but I was also alluding to the coaching stability (or lack thereof) and the head coach/ front office friction, it had to factor in at some point, I was never an RGIII fan, but let's face it, that kid didn't know if he was coming or going on a week to week basis.

Comment

Working...
                              X