Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember them so much from the baseball cards. Just like the brewrs uni.I dont think all teams had them had pill hats.

Comment

the Cardinals had them

..and of course the Buccos. For reasons Loki described I'm not sure what other teams... I think the Mutts.
      Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
      May 7, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Irish George View Post
        I was working for a podunk chain of south jersey weeklies. The day before the game both teams took batting practice and I somehow talked Larry Schenk (Phils PR guru) into letting me on the field, along with a friend of mine, to take pictures. There in the batting cage where Johnny Bench, Pete Rose, Steve Garvey, Schmidt, Bowa, Hank Aaron, Mark (the Bird) Fidrych.

In the coaching box was Gene Mauch, managing Minnesota that year. I chatted up Bob Uecker. I also talked to John "the Count of" Montefusco and John "Candy Man" Candaleria. Great guys all.

Guess what?

I forgot to put film in my camera.

But my friend and I still talk about that day.
        Larry Schenk used to live in my neighboorhood in Claymont. I delivered newspapers to him! (Wasn't my regular route but I would sub somtimes)
        --------
        "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

fantastic guy

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
          Larry Schenk used to live in my neighboorhood in Claymont. I delivered newspapers to him! (Wasn't my regular route but I would sub somtimes)
          "The Baron."
          Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
          May 7, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Irish George View Post
            I was working for a podunk chain of south jersey weeklies. The day before the game both teams took batting practice and I somehow talked Larry Schenk (Phils PR guru) into letting me on the field, along with a friend of mine, to take pictures. There in the batting cage where Johnny Bench, Pete Rose, Steve Garvey, Schmidt, Bowa, Hank Aaron, Mark (the Bird) Fidrych.

In the coaching box was Gene Mauch, managing Minnesota that year. I chatted up Bob Uecker. I also talked to John "the Count of" Montefusco and John "Candy Man" Candaleria. Great guys all.

Guess what?

I forgot to put film in my camera.

But my friend and I still talk about that day.

Great story, Georgie.

The pic you posted of Larry Christenson reminded me of the time I saw him threaten to pitch a perfect game in '81 against the Mutts. He pitched 7 2/3 perfect innings and his breaking ball was devastating that day. George Foster did his normal ritual of taking all damn day in the batter's box(stepped out twice) which threw Larry out of his groove and he gave up a double down the left field line. He had a 5-0 lead at the time but he ended up blowing the lead as the Mutts tied it at 5. They brought Tug in(who had been struggling after off-season shoulder surgery) and he came extremely close to giving up a moonshot HR to Kingman which landed in the upper deck in LF but it was foul by about a foot. The Phils eventually won but Christenson got a no-decision.

Comment

Working...
            X