meanwhile, Saric showed me next to nothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• meanwhile, Saric showed me next to nothing

first the obvious: his block at the end was huge and he played good interior defense. But what was he 1-for-9 from the field? Also looked slow and could not defend the perimeter. The inside D wont be what he is called on to do in the NBA so that really didn't matter as far as we are concerned as Sixers fans.

Just one game, but not too encouraging. He played almost the entire game against competition much weaker than he will see. Pretty much invisible until that play at the end.
    Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
    May 7, 2010

In the game vs Spain, he was guarding the 2 best players on the floor the entire game. He's a hustle guy who can rebound (7) and pass very well (5).

He's only 22 and the Croatian team is not very good...coach stinks as well. It's gonna take a year for him to learn his role. He'll be a okay.

Comment

I also just saw his stat line from last night's game. He almost had a triple double (19 pts, 10 rebs, 7 asts).

Give him time.

Comment

he wasn't guarding anybody outside

perimeter defense is what he is going to have to play in the NBA. He may be "only" 22 but he's not going to get any faster. Maybe it was first game jitters but I'm not sure what you are basing the "he'll be Ok" on. Do tell.
        May 7, 2010

Comment

like I said it was only one game

Originally posted by Ground_Meat View Post
          I also just saw his stat line from last night's game. He almost had a triple double (19 pts, 10 rebs, 7 asts).

Give him time.
          but to me he didn't look very good to me vs. Spain. What about his game did you like? Not seeing it
          May 7, 2010

Comment

I'm surprised to hear you say this. He's not a big time scorer. My understanding has always been that he's an intense player who plays with an edge, plays good D and can get to the basket. That's pretty much what I saw against Spain.
            "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

1-for-9 or whatever it was alarmed me

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post
              I'm surprised to hear you say this. He's not a big time scorer. My understanding has always been that he's an intense player who plays with an edge, plays good D and can get to the basket. That's pretty much what I saw against Spain.
              He only made one shot from the field. Could not guard the perimeter which is what he's going to have to do at the next level. I hope I'm wrong but I came away from that game unimpressed. Part of it, to be honest is we have been hearing about this guy for how many years now?
              May 7, 2010

Comment

I missed both games, but IG, would you say he looks like a guy that would be at least a rotation player? Long term that is what a lot of scouts have projected him to be, more of a 6-8th man that brings high bball IQ and length but has physical limitations on the defensive end.

As much as I'm happy he's going to finally be in the fold, the real interesting addition is definitely going to be Embiid.

Comment

For sure. I think he has been a little overhyped. I guess the way I look at it is, if he were coming in here to be "the guy" we'd be in trouble. But if his job is going to be to be the 3rd or 4th option behind Simmons, Okafor, Embiid, etc. then I think he will find a good niche. That's kind of the lens I view him through.
                  "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

Originally posted by Irish George View Post
                    but to me he didn't look very good to me vs. Spain. What about his game did you like? Not seeing it
                    I would say he is an elite passer for a big man. He is a 6' 10" PF. Not many guys like that have good perimeter skills on the defensive end.

Comment

you would?

ELITE? based on one game? Where would you rank him? Ahead of Bill Walton? Also...is that going to be his role with the Sixers? The offense is going to be run by Simmons.
                      May 7, 2010

Comment

possibly...who knows

as I said from the start of this thread, its only one game, you really cant tell much form that. But given all the buildup about this guy for years, I was expecting more, especially at the Olympic level against a good but not great Spain squad.
                        May 7, 2010

Comment

ELITE? based on one game? Where would you rank him? Ahead of Bill Walton? Also...is that going to be his role with the Sixers? The offense is going to be run by Simmons.
                          "For a big man" - I'm not comparing him to John Stockton. That's been a strength of his since the 6ers originally drafted him.

Comment

first the obvious: his block at the end was huge and he played good interior defense. But what was he 1-for-9 from the field? Also looked slow and could not defend the perimeter. The inside D wont be what he is called on to do in the NBA so that really didn't matter as far as we are concerned as Sixers fans.

Just one game, but not too encouraging. He played almost the entire game against competition much weaker than he will see. Pretty much invisible until that play at the end.
                            What game were you watching? Since he had a shitty shooting night that means he showed you nothing? Saric had some amazing interior passes, a couple of great outlet passes which is a huge asset, banged on the boards, and showed he has great handle. HUGE upgrade over the shit they put out last year.

Comment

Originally posted by udontknowme View Post
                              I missed both games, but IG, would you say he looks like a guy that would be at least a rotation player? Long term that is what a lot of scouts have projected him to be, more of a 6-8th man that brings high bball IQ and length but has physical limitations on the defensive end.

As much as I'm happy he's going to finally be in the fold, the real interesting addition is definitely going to be Embiid.
                              He's gonna be their sixth man next year and give them a lot of good minutes. He is probably 2-3 years away from being in his prime but he will give the Sixers a completely different front court option in comparison to Jahlil, Nerlens, and Embiid.

Comment

Working...
                              X