X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generalisimo Francisco Franco

is still dead.

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/24/77302...-legal-battles
    Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

All jokes aside, Spain has had a pretty brutal history. The country is culturally rich but it has been fought over for centuries. Moors, Christians, Jews. I imagine that is what it makes it culturally rich. The mix of the different influences.

The original Spanish governments after the Moors were defeated attempted and for the most part succeeded to expel Muslims and Jews. We are talking multiple hundreds of years ago.

Thing is, you go to a city like Cordoba or Toledo and you see the beauty of what these different cultures created.

Franco would never have allowed Jews or Muslims back into Spain.

The current government has a program where a descendant of Jewish people that were expelled from Spain can apply for citizenship. You need to take a basic history and language test to gain citizenship.

We will see how that goes. I know a number of people who are taking Spanish classes to achieve that end.
    --------
    "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post

We will see how that goes. I know a number of people who are taking Spanish classes to achieve that end.
      Wow you have to learn the language to gain citizenship...imagine the shit show if we did that here..

OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
      "BFTR"

Comment

Originally posted by TRENT View Post

Wow you have to learn the language to gain citizenship...imagine the shit show if we did that here..
        I think it's a pretty minor requirement however. You just need to know the basics... You don't need to be fluent. Alphabet, numbers, basic nouns and verbs, etc.

It's probably like the citizenship test for the US... although I don't believe the US citizenship test has a language requirement.

I think most immigrants in the US know things on this level.
        --------

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
          Lol I’ll have to ask my girlfriend’s grandmother about this. She used to have pictures of Franco in her house.

Comment

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post

Lol I’ll have to ask my girlfriend’s grandmother about this. She used to have pictures of Franco in her house.
            I"m asking my Spaniard friends about this. I think I know what they will say.

As an aside I collected stamps when I was a kid. Pretty much every stamp from Spain had Franco's portrait on it.
            --------

Comment

All jokes aside, Spain has had a pretty brutal history. The country is culturally rich but it has been fought over for centuries. Moors, Christians, Jews. I imagine that is what it makes it culturally rich. The mix of the different influences.

The original Spanish governments after the Moors were defeated attempted and for the most part succeeded to expel Muslims and Jews. We are talking multiple hundreds of years ago.

Thing is, you go to a city like Cordoba or Toledo and you see the beauty of what these different cultures created.

Franco would never have allowed Jews or Muslims back into Spain.

The current government has a program where a descendant of Jewish people that were expelled from Spain can apply for citizenship. You need to take a basic history and language test to gain citizenship.

Its not Moors ... its Moops.

Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post

Its not Moors ... its Moops.

Bawahahahaha!

Classic episode.
                --------

Comment

Hey Mark. I'm going to guess you've read For Whom The Bell Tolls. If not, do so immediately.

But then check this one out. Tremendous read about American volunteers fighting with the Communists against Franco and the fascists in the Spanish Civil War.

https://www.amazon.com/Spain-Our-Hea.../dp/0544947231

The Spanish Civil War was tragic and doesn't get discussed enough. Very much the prelude to WWII.

I feel that it is somewhat appropriate for Franco to remain in the Valley of the Fallen - that it is a reminder of those he killed rather than a tribute. But I have to defer to the Spaniards judgement.
                  Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

I think it's a pretty minor requirement however. You just need to know the basics... You don't need to be fluent. Alphabet, numbers, basic nouns and verbs, etc.

It's probably like the citizenship test for the US... although I don't believe the US citizenship test has a language requirement.

I think most immigrants in the US know things on this level.
                    My Grand parents did their Best, but spoke a pretty broken English..My "Nonue" enlisted in the Army in the teens and fought in ww1 so his english was Damm good...the other 3 not so much...I just know a lot of the Right wingers thinks every person coming to this country should learn English,,,it's a tough language to learn...Spanish is much easier, especially if you already have the background in the romantic languages...when I hear People yelling at folks to speak the language; just makes me think they are screaming at My Grandmother....doesn't sit well with me.

OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
                    "BFTR"

Comment

Let me tell you about the time the Moors invaded Italy...

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac View Post
                        Hey Mark. I'm going to guess you've read For Whom The Bell Tolls. If not, do so immediately.
                        I love that book.

"Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

Originally posted by TRENT View Post

My Grand parents did their Best, but spoke a pretty broken English..My "Nonue" enlisted in the Army in the teens and fought in ww1 so his english was Damm good...the other 3 not so much...I just know a lot of the Right wingers thinks every person coming to this country should learn English,,,it's a tough language to learn...Spanish is much easier, especially if you already have the background in the romantic languages...when I hear People yelling at folks to speak the language; just makes me think they are screaming at My Grandmother....doesn't sit well with me.
                          I LOVE IT WHEN PEOPLE COME UP TO ME AND SPEAK CHINESE, OR JAPANESE OR ANY OTHER FOREIGN LANGUAGE, THEN GET MAD AT ME BECAUSE I DON'T UNDERSTAND THEM.
                          MY FAMILY HAS BEEN HERE SINCE LATE 1600'S, AND SOME EARLIER THEN THAT. NO I DON'T UNDERSTAND CHINESE, JAPANESE OR ANY OTHER. SORRY FOLKS.
                          Last edited by DEERSPINE GUY; 10-24-2019, 08:52 PM.
                          "LIFE IS FULL OF 4TH AND 1 DECISIONS, CHOOSE YOUR NEXT CROSSROADS WISELY.

Comment

Originally posted by DEERSPINE GUY View Post

I LOVE IT WHEN PEOPLE COME UP TO ME AND SPEAK CHINESE, OR JAPANESE OR ANY OTHER FOREIGN LANGUAGE, THEN GET MAD AT ME BECAUSE I DON'T UNDERSTAND THEM.
                            MY FAMILY HAS BEEN HERE SINCE LATE 1600'S, AND SOME EARLIER THEN THAT. NO I DON'T UNDERSTAND CHINESE, JAPANESE OR ANY OTHER. SORRY FOLKS.
                            EARLIER THAN 1600, Thats flat out amazing!
                            OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
                            "BFTR"

Comment

Originally posted by DEERSPINE GUY View Post

1600's? I figured they came over the Bering Land Bridge.
                              Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

Working...
                              X