Two stats from Reuben Frank's latest column

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JuTMSY4 View Post
    Man, too bad we don't have a 100 yard rusher.
    We were on our way. He went to the locker room with an injury before he got there. That's a good thing?

Comment

Originally posted by The Duck View Post

We were on our way. He went to the locker room with an injury before he got there. That's a good thing?
      I think it's like the Packers game. This team's ideal offense involves multiple backs.

Obviously having a horse doesn't make a team worse. I just chose 2007 as the starting point because that was when RBBC was becoming more common.

I don't think Howie will ever go RB in the first. RB is the most replaceable position and you can get a Howard while investing significantly less in both draft picks and salary.

I just don't find the absence of a 100-yard rusher concerning. This team has had plenty of good victories while maintaining something close to a 50:50 ran pass ratio over the past 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post

I think it's like the Packers game. This team's ideal offense involves multiple backs.

Obviously having a horse doesn't make a team worse. I just chose 2007 as the starting point because that was when RBBC was becoming more common.

I don't think Howie will ever go RB in the first. RB is the most replaceable position and you can get a Howard while investing significantly less in both draft picks and salary.

I just don't find the absence of a 100-yard rusher concerning. This team has had plenty of good victories while maintaining something close to a 50:50 ran pass ratio over the past 3 years.
        Agree. I'd be curious how any quality team rushing performances they've had (125...150?) in the same time period.

Comment

I think the 2017 team also only had one 100-yard receiver all season.

This team is built to spread the ball around. I like it.

Comment

I hate the term "100 yard rusher", or at least, I hate using it without defining what it is we're talking about. I'm using it as a shorthand for a back who consistently hits home runs, not so much the three yards/cloud of dust guy. I want one of those, the kind of back DCs become pre-occupied with stopping. I've seen enough of Zeke making Dak look like a Pro Bowler, and now we're seeing Cook make Coupons look like a superstar. Enough. I want Carson to have that. You have the makings of a very good line, the WRs can be fixed, you're loaded at TE... adding a home-run workhorse to a backfield that already has Sanders makes the offense unstoppable (in theory).

I disagree about Howie and first round backs. I think he would draft one, but in the back half of the round, and not the front. He wanted Michel, we know they loved Cook, they considered Guice, they considered Jacobs... all were first or potential first rounders. If they don't keep Howard, I wouldn't be surprised to see Howie take one of the big three RBs if they're picking in the back half of the round. I also think that Howie's getting so much shit about the last three drafts that, whatever hard and fast rules we think he had, they're going to go out the window.

Comment

I use the term 100-yard rusher literally.

I think Sanders could be the big play guy you're talking about.

Comment

I use the term 100-yard rusher literally.

I think Sanders could be the big play guy you're talking about.
                I'd be thrilled beyond belief if he developed into a Kamara/Hunt type of back.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
                  1. The Eagles haven't drafted a Pro Bowl defensive player aside from Fletcher Cox since 2006

Two thousand fucking SIX? You could throw a dart at a list of defensive players and do better.

2. The Eagles haven't had a 100 yard rusher in 40 straight games

Reid 2.0
                  Pederson runs a helluva lot more than FF. Maybe a little more than I'd like. It's the committee thing that's prevented 100 yard rushers.

Roob's little stat nuggets are mostly meaningless.
                  Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

Originally posted by Ground_Meat View Post

26 more yards from Sanders and #2 will change...
                    Howard had 97. Could have easily broken 100 if they didn't let Scott finish. Give him half the yards from Sanders run for that block too.

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac View Post

Howard had 97. Could have easily broken 100 if they didn't let Scott finish. Give him half the yards from Sanders run for that block too.
                      Good grief ... Reid (yes, more than Gomer ... duh) ... but Gomer too ... get too pass happy and the lack of a 100 yard rusher for that long is a stat that has some value to indicate it, Gomer's committee of backs notwitstanding.

So, you found yesterday's game to be a typical Eagle game in terms of run/pass ratio?

You don't want a stone stud RB?

You didn't like that Sanders run to the house and don't want him to be that guy and then get fed the ball?

Don't answer ... they're rhetorical questions.
                      Last edited by slag; 10-28-2019, 07:27 AM.
                      Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Eagles are in the top half of the league in run percent so the pass-happy angle is wrong. The lack of a 100 yard rusher is almost completely because of their committee approach. At least half the teams use the committee of RBs approach. I don't particularly care for it but that could be because I grew up in the stud back era Pass happy Reid had loads of 100 yard rushers with Duce, Westbrook and Shady.

Pederson has proven a much better game day coach than Reid,. Time management, run pass ratio, 4th downs. etc. If Reid 2.0 means better than Reid, I agree with you. Rhetorically.

Comment

The original statement was confined to his propensity to get away from the run, not their comparative game day performances, and although I agree he's not as bad as Reid was, he's got some of those tendencies.

The media and this forum have called him out on it many times. In fact, the last Eagle 100-yard back (Blount) happened after the media and fans were foaming at the mouth ... and then going "See ... ITYS" after the game.

And, there's nothing wrong with us liking a bell cow over a committee.
                          Last edited by slag; 10-28-2019, 03:03 PM. Reason: typo
                          Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Working...
                          X