Can’t stand Marcus Hayes but I agree with this article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can’t stand Marcus Hayes but I agree with this article

If Dak & Co. blowtorch this D again, don’t wait until after week 17, these moves need to be made at games end Sunday night.

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/eagl...-20191218.html

Agreed....I’m not a big fan of Marcus but I think he hits the nail on the head with this one. It’s something many of us have noticed and commented about for several seasons. Past franchise success has covered those warts but it can no longer be ignored.

There needs to be a serious cultural shift in the defense ...either do it internally or go out and recruit. Just fix it, because current approaches are not working.
    "I feel much better now that my pants are on."- overheard conversation at a Gayte

Comment

Haven't been a big fire Schwartz guy but I agree with this scenario. Reid fired his DC last year, and they were an offsides away from going to the Super Bowl, I think Doug follows suit if the D gets torched on sunday.

Comment

It has already been reported that changes will be made just not during the season. I suspect all of them to be gone including Groh and Taylor. Only ones I could see sticking around thaat truly matter are Fipp, Deuce and Stoutland.

Comment

I'm still not. Only way I'm canning Schwants is if there's a slam dunk upgrade. Ron Rivera wants to coach a D? Hire him. Just don't fire for the sake of firing and don't switch to a 3-4.

Originally posted by Mr. Triple Dip View Post
          Haven't been a big fire Schwartz guy but I agree with this scenario. Reid fired his DC last year, and they were an offsides away from going to the Super Bowl, I think Doug follows suit if the D gets torched on sunday.
          -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

Everybody hated Chip's guts, that's the only reason he was canned before the season ended.

Schvantz may end up being replaced, but he's not getting Chipped. It wouldn't serve any purpose anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by BigSlizz View Post
              Ron Rivera wants to coach a D? Hire him. Just don't fire for the sake of firing

Agreed, don't want another Juan Castillo(McDermott turned out to be pretty good)

Comment

I still can't wrap my head around the Juan Castillo thing. Hiring him was insane enough, but KEEPING him???

Originally posted by Mr. Triple Dip View Post

Agreed, don't want another Juan Castillo(McDermott turned out to be pretty good)
                -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

Originally posted by BigSlizz View Post
                  I'm still not. Only way I'm canning Schwants is if there's a slam dunk upgrade. Ron Rivera wants to coach a D? Hire him. Just don't fire for the sake of firing and don't switch to a 3-4.

For the sake of conversation. What makes RR a slam dunk D coordinator? Because he is coming off a HC gig from being a D coordinator? Or is known as a Defensive "guy"? Honestly idk what Carolina's D has really done the past few years, good but ... Not won the SB.

I wanted Schwartz his last year as Lions HC. Yeahhh, make that guy our DC, take some of workload off his plate. Let him work with our D and let them go eat, Yeahhh. I have to say he has lost my confidence with the choices made on the units he has full control of. Since the SB win the pieces decided to be kept (both O & D but we're taking D here) and let go have been baffling; Long, Fort so on. Hindsight, yes, some. Forrest through the trees, maybe.
                  Howie's fault as well? Yes.

Edit to add: it sucks that Howie's offseason gameplan to build this team. all of it blew up. From the beginning of the season.
                  Last edited by joydivision; 12-19-2019, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Nah fuck all that. Fuck Gym Shorts.
                    500 internet fights, that's the number I figured when I first joined igglephans. 500 internet fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate internet-tough guy. You need them for experience, to develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then...after...you realize that's what you are.

Comment

Originally posted by joydivision View Post

For the sake of conversation. What makes RR a slam dunk D coordinator? Because he is coming off a HC gig from being a D coordinator? Or is known as a Defensive "guy"? Honestly idk what Carolina's D has really done the past few years, good but ... Not won the SB.

I wanted Schwartz his last year as Lions HC. Yeahhh, make that guy our DC, take some of workload off his plate. Let him work with our D and let them go eat, Yeahhh. I have to say he has lost my confidence with the choices made on the units he has full control of. Since the SB win the pieces decided to be kept (both O & D but we're taking D here) and let go have been baffling; Long, Fort so on. Hindsight, yes, some. Forrest through the trees, maybe.

Edit to add: it sucks that Howie's offseason gameplan to build this team. all of it blew up. From the beginning of the season.
                      Ron Rivera took over a Bears D ranked dead last and brought them to back to back top 5 Ds in 03 and 04 and same with the Chargers in 09 10 both time turning horrific defenses into top 10 or top 5 sometimes top 3 as a defensive coordinator.

No he didn't win a SB but his defene in Carolina has almost always except for a few years been ferocious and their issues have usually been offensive.

He is a HUGE upgrade of JS but if available I would take Dan Quinn hands down.

This will not even be a debate as Ron will be a head coach next year not sure Dan Quinn if canned will get another shot.
                      Last edited by Spartan92; 12-19-2019, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Your measuring stick for the success of a defense is whether it was part of a Super Bowl winning team? That's ridiculous.

Ron Rivera's defenses have been successful everywhere he's been. The Panthers have consistently had good defenses even after a post-superbowl rebuild. He would be a slam dunk hire but it's not happening because he is getting a head coaching gig somewhere, hopefully not within the division.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan92 View Post

Ron Rivera took over a Bears D ranked dead last and brought them to back to back top 5 Ds in 03 and 04 and same with the Chargers in 09 10 both time turning horrific defenses into top 10 or top 5 sometimes top 3 as a defensive coordinator.

No he didn't win a SB but his defene in Carolina has almost always except for a few years been ferocious and their issues have usually been offensive.

He is a HUGE upgrade of JS but if available I would take Dan Quinn hands down.

This will not even be a debate as Ron will be a head coach next year not sure Dan Quinn if canned will get another shot.
                          Dan Quinn would be great but it seems like the Falcons' owner has consistently supported him throughout the season and they've won a couple games against good teams as of late. I think he gets another year.

Comment

Originally posted by ishimonster View Post

Dan Quinn would be great but it seems like the Falcons' owner has consistently supported him throughout the season and they've won a couple games against good teams as of late. I think he gets another year.
                            Possibly we will see. I assume many coaches will be let go whether they be head coaches or D coordinators and many would be upgrades over JS that is got damn sure.

EDIT TO ADD: Jack Del Rio would be an upgrade that's for sure.. Unless he runs specifically a 3-4
                            Last edited by Spartan92; 12-20-2019, 12:06 PM.

Comment

For me it's a guy who brings a culture that changes Ds for the better wherever he goes. That's Rivera. And when they added him a few years ago, I felt that way about Schwartz. That's why I'm not in a hurry to dump him for just anyone.

Who else is like that? Lovie Smith. Wade Phillips. Greg Williams (ugh, and hard pass). I know they're not all candidates or even interested in coaching in the NFL (Smith). That's just the type I have in mind if you're going to move on.

-Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

Working...
                              X