No announcement yet.

Honestly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't like the pick. Backup QB is valuable, yes, but so are potential starters on 2nd-round rookie deals.

If I squint, I can see the logic. Backup QB is important --Mahomes and Brees both missed games last season -- and Hurts is going to be cheaper than a veteran backup for four years. He has similar traits to Wentz, so they won't have to completely change the offense if he has to play for a week or two. He'll be an interesting toy in short yardage and on the goal line, and maybe on special teams if they go full Taysom Hill with him. And there's novel stuff they can try with him in the backfield (Dan Orlovsky tweeted something about crazy double RPO).

But I don't know if Hurts is even going to be a good backup. His numbers were obviously insane last year, but a look at his highlights shows he routinely had tons of time and often got to throw to CeeDee Lamb in like 10 yards of open space. Even some of his highlight throws are terrible decisions that turned out OK because the receiver made a great play. This is just highlights, of course, not a real tape breakdown. But a lot of big plays were just easy throws.

Maybe it works out somehow. Maybe he's the perfect spot starter and they can trade him for a 1st rounder, or maybe he is marvelous and makes Wentz expendable. But if a corner or safety who was available at the time becomes a star and Hurts rides the pine for four years, this is going to look dumb.

-AE
    Last edited by AnnapolisEagle; 04-28-2020, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X