Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many more seasons will Wentz be the QB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snakebitten View Post
    When I say 'good', I mean 'competent'. I'm not asking for just great players. History shows NE ran a running back by committee the majority of their dynasty. They've always been known for that. That's just a fact. That's why teams are devaluing the running back position. I'm sure you noticed while going through my previous posts that I've been saying it for years. I'm the one who said I'm glad Dallas drafted Zeke instead of Ramsey and Henry in the second. I think I may have gotten ripped for that at the time. I'm not going to check. If you think NE had no real TE through most the dynasty, I think I will never win this argument.

The closest the Eagles ever followed their blueprint was when they won the Super Bowl. That's not my opinion, it's a fact. It's safe to say KC and SF (offensively) ran a similar offense.

If you build a team the right way, you don't need Tom Brady to win. You also don't need to sign a DeAndre Hopkins. When you look at the Patriots draft history, they were loaded with solid picks. Not all future hall-of-famers. Solid.

Once again, if they can't fix Wentz, they can't fix anyone..
    I still don't see how being "competent" everywhere while relying on RBBC is a blueprint. I also prefer RBBC, as do the Eagles, but the Pats have deviated from that plenty of times. On 4 of their 6 SB teams, they had a featured back. Their running game has also been straight bad at times. It was so nonexistent in 03 that they traded a 2nd for Correy Dillon who was headed into his 8th season.

I said that NE had no real TE for plenty of years, which is true. Before Gronk came around, they were averaging maybe 400 yards a year from their top TE.

I think that Brady being the best ever allowed the Pats to do a lot of what they did. Wentz should be good enough, but having a guy like Julian as a #1 WR here will never cut it.

Comment

I don't know what to tell you. I've never had a conversation before where someone had this opinion. It's odd. NE had a RB run for 1,000 yards 4 (?!?!) times over the past two decades yet they consistently were among the top rushing teams in football without a mobile quarterback. Gronk is going to the Hall of Fame. Edelman was the epitome of competent. You bring up 2003, Smith and Faulk also each ran for over 600 yards that year. Maybe we define 'RBBC' differently?? I'm not going to argue about this, it's silly. I'm confident most on this board agree with my point. No big deal.

Comment

NE has had an RB run for 1,000 more than 4 times. They've also had featured backs run for 800-900 yards. They've done RBBC successfully and unsuccessfuly. My point about the 03 Pats isn't that they didn't go RBBC. It's that they ranked 27th in rushing yards and 30th in yards/attempt. That is Smallwood-Adams-Sproles level. It's why they went out and traded a 2nd for an RB who was on the cusp of the 30 the following season. Something that's as far away from any "blueprint" as you can get. As is drafting Maroney in the 1st, as is drafting Michel in the 1st. I totally agree that it's not good to invest too heavily in RB, but the Pats have strayed from that plenty of times.

Again, I said the Pats had no real TE for plenty of years. They've had two dynasties - pre-Brady ACL, and post-Brady ACL. Pre-Brady ACL, their leading TE tended to post something like 30 for 400. Edelman is competent, and competent isn't good enough for a #1 WR unless the QB is Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. There is no way anyone would be happy with peak Edelman as the #1 receiver on this team tomorrow.

I just don't think there's a Pats blueprint besides having Belichick and Brady. If this team's RBBC were Shane Vereen/Stevan Ridley/Jonas Gray, or its WRs were Troy Brown/Deion Branch/David Givens, no one would think they were giving Wentz enough help. But Belichick/Brady are good enough to pull it off. And I'll say again that I don't blame Wentz for getting hurt, but he has gone on IR twice while having a good OL, a good TE, competent receivers, and RBBC.

Comment

I have no idea why you're hung up on this. You're overlooking their array of running backs who caught the ball like White, Vereen, Faulk, Lewis, and Burkhead (I'm sure the list is longer but I'm not checking). Running backs do more than just run. If you're stating 'featured backs' are those that run for 800-900 yards, what can I say? I don't see it that way. You say they didn't have TE for plenty of years. I see it as them having Gronk for almost a decade. You can win with Edleman or Welker,as your #1. I don't care who's happy.

All I know is the Eagles won a Super Bowl with a team that looked very familiar to the team it beat. If you didn't see it, that's your opinion. All I know is I'd like to see them build that team again for Wentz. As I'm sure you noticed with my previous posts, I've been the guy not asking for the superstar running back or wide receiver. I was the one stating I preferred committees. If you think there's a better organization that fits that blueprint, feel free to go with that. If you want the last word on this, knock yourself out.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakebitten View Post
            I have no idea why you're hung up on this. You're overlooking their array of running backs who caught the ball like White, Vereen, Faulk, Lewis, and Burkhead (I'm sure the list is longer but I'm not checking). Running backs do more than just run. If you're stating 'featured backs' are those that run for 800-900 yards, what can I say? I don't see it that way. You say they didn't have TE for plenty of years. I see it as them having Gronk for almost a decade. You can win with Edleman or Welker,as your #1. I don't care who's happy.

All I know is the Eagles won a Super Bowl with a team that looked very familiar to the team it beat. If you didn't see it, that's your opinion. All I know is I'd like to see them build that team again for Wentz. As I'm sure you noticed with my previous posts, I've been the guy not asking for the superstar running back or wide receiver. I was the one stating I preferred committees. If you think there's a better organization that fits that blueprint, feel free to go with that. If you want the last word on this, knock yourself out.
            What are you talking about? Julian Edelman was a 7th round pick that was converted to WR out of need and Chris Hogan was an undrafted free agent that they signed off the scrap heap and they went to the SB with them. That is not the definition of competent. They're two scrubs who caught balls because anyone can catch them if they're being thrown by the greatest of all time. This has been NE's philosophy on offense since Brady established himself. Throw anyone in there because it doesn't matter. If the Eagles had receivers like that you'd hit the roof saying they weren't giving Wentz any talent to work with which illustrates how far apart Wentz and Brady are. One is great and the other needs an All-Star team around him to win a few games.

Comment

2020 will be his last.

Comment

Working...
              X