No announcement yet.

So Marty had a hand in getting hurts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just curious, what do you see as his upside? I'll take a player comparison if you want. I think his upside is Santonio Holmes (I'm sure I'll come up with a better name if I think about it). That's his upside.

I read somewhere they chose Curtis Samuel. Sweet.
    Last edited by Snakebitten; 04-27-2020, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakebitten View Post
      Just curious, what do you see as his upside? I'll take a player comparison if you want. I think his upside is Santonio Holmes (I'm sure I'll come up with a better name if I think about it). That's his upside.

I read somewhere they chose Curtis Samuel. Sweet.
      Santonio Holmes (by any measure, a first round "hit") isn't a bad comp. Similar frame and speed, same concerns about "beating press" (that auto-fills as soon you input sub-200lb/6' weight/height info), similar college production. I think Reagor is much more of a high character guy (which extends to taking care of himself and avoiding drug suspensions), I also think he's better with the ball in his hands and will give you more on screens, sweeps, and returns. Desean is the other obvious comp, and probably the best one. He was my favorite Eagles target in the 2008 draft, so naturally, I'm drawn to Reagor too.

If we disagree on the wisdom of taking a Z receiver at the back of the first round, we're just going to disagree on that. It's still fresh in my mind how important Torrey Smith's outside speed (certainly not his production) was to the offense, and how lost they've been without it. In that area of the draft, I'm more about getting a player than prioritizing positional value. I think we got a player, one who adds a crucial element to the offense that's been missing for the past two seasons.

Comment

Yup, that's where we disagree. I don't see DeSean Jackson, Mike Wallace, Santonio Holmes, Curtis Samuel, and so on as first round picks. I'd take them in the second round tops. I prefer the #1 WRs with the 4.5ish 40s in the first. I think you can find a Torrey Smith off the scrap heap like they did when they won the Super Bowl. That's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakebitten View Post
          Yup, that's where we disagree. I don't see DeSean Jackson, Mike Wallace, Santonio Holmes, Curtis Samuel, and so on as first round picks. I'd take them in the second round tops. I prefer the #1 WRs with the 4.5ish 40s in the first. I think you can find a Torrey Smith off the scrap heap like they did when they won the Super Bowl. That's just me.
          I think the Steelers would probably disagree that Holmes wasn't worthy of his pick. Even if he was only with them for his rookie contract, it worked out about as well as a rookie contract can work out.

And we tried double-dipping in the scrap heap the last two years. Didn't work.

Just for posterity's sake, which receiver would you have taken at 21? Or which one would you have been okay with them taking?
          Last edited by The Duck; 04-27-2020, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Duck View Post
            Just for posterity's sake, which receiver would you have taken at 21? Or which one would you have been okay with them taking?
            I think If I was Howie and didn't know how to draft a wideout, I would have traded up for Lamb or the very least taken Jefferson (and probably another in the second round). Obviously, what I've done in the past wasn't working. Also, I just completely sat out of free agency. Since I painted myself in a corner, I can't afford to get cute. He did. Let's not forget restructuring Jeffery's contract and having to trade draft picks for Slay didn't do himself any favors.

Lamb ended up in Dallas so I would have probably kept that possibility in the back of my head when deciding my second rounder had a backup QB's name written all over it.

Now keep in mind, I'm not a GM. I wasn't invited to the combine, didn't get to do one interview, and nobody sent me any of these guys' game films. I'm just basing everything off the sniff test which can't be any worse than any test Howie uses. If I see Howie ignore the consensus pick and chose a guy with a 47% catch rate, you know where I think the smart money is.

Also, for the record, now that I think about it, if I wasn't sold on the top four receivers, I probably would have traded back to the second round and re-evaluated my wide receiver chart. I'd take two in the second and hopefully add an additional high future pick.
            Last edited by Snakebitten; 04-28-2020, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X