X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEERSPINE GUY
    replied
    Originally posted by Spartan92 View Post

Nailed it. There is no threat in the passing game and teams will watch this year's tape and continue to stack the box. I am sorry but if you are not competent in the pocket you cannot succeed in the NFL in 2022. Can he get better sure everyone can. Will he ever be a good pocket QB who uses his legs to create, nope. People are hoping he is the next coming off Russell Wilson but you can't wish someone into becoming something he isn't. He gets another year, maybe. If anyone trusts Howie saying Jalen is our QB next year I have magic beans to sell you. They will be kicking the tries on every available QB. Doesn't mean they will, or should, land one but neither the Owner nor the GM are sold on this guy and there is good reason for it. Again. amazing, talented athlete, not a #1 QB to build around.

I can't see any team in the NFL throwing us even a 2nd to take Jalen as their starting QB.
    THEY KNOW THE PASS GAME COULDN'T HURT THEM EVEN A LITTLE BIT.
    TAKE DEVO SMITH OUT, KEY ON THE LEGS OF HURTS, BOOM SHUTOUT.
    EXCEPT FOR SOME WHAT'S IT CALLED... TRASH TIME POINTS?

EDIT TO ADD: HURTS MAY DEVELOP INTO, AN ADEQUATE NFL QB, WITH SOME WORK AND A ANOTHER DECENT RECEIVER OR TWO, BUT ONLY TIME WILL TELL.
    Last edited by DEERSPINE GUY; 01-21-2022, 11:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Spartan92
    replied
    Originally posted by DEERSPINE GUY View Post
    YA CAN TELL WHAT OPPOSING TEAMS THINK ABOUT THE EAGLES PASS GAME JUST BY THE TB GAME.

EVEN BEING UP 24-ZIP AGAINST THE IGGLES, THEY WERE STILL STACKING THE BOX AGAINST THE RUN, DARING EAGLES TO THROW THE BALL TO BEAT THEM, WHEN THE ONLY WAY IGGS COULD WIN.......WAS TO THROW THE BALL.
    IF PASS GAME WAS A REAL THREAT, THEY WOULD HAVE STARTED PROTECTING MORE AGAINST THE PASS AT THAT POINT, BUT KNEW THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO.

NOT MUCH MORE TO SAY.
    Nailed it. There is no threat in the passing game and teams will watch this year's tape and continue to stack the box. I am sorry but if you are not competent in the pocket you cannot succeed in the NFL in 2022. Can he get better sure everyone can. Will he ever be a good pocket QB who uses his legs to create, nope. People are hoping he is the next coming off Russell Wilson but you can't wish someone into becoming something he isn't. He gets another year, maybe. If anyone trusts Howie saying Jalen is our QB next year I have magic beans to sell you. They will be kicking the tries on every available QB. Doesn't mean they will, or should, land one but neither the Owner nor the GM are sold on this guy and there is good reason for it. Again. amazing, talented athlete, not a #1 QB to build around.

I can't see any team in the NFL throwing us even a 2nd to take Jalen as their starting QB.
    Last edited by Spartan92; 01-20-2022, 09:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Snakebitten
    replied
    I still think their number one target is Watson. I thought that was the case from the beginning. I think they got Minshew to play the six games Watson could be suspended and they would include Hurts as part of the trade package. The CGM had egg on his face with Wentz so he wanted to make a splash. His backup plan was trying to find someone in the draft but this class appears to be below average. There may be a QB in there somewhere but he won't find him.

At the end of the day, once the CGM started to accumulate picks, we all knew Hurts wasn't the answer. I'm sure there was truth to the rumor he wanted to move up and get Zack Wilson. All I know is they knew Hurts wasn't good enough.

Waston is only 26 years old so he's still young. Rodgers and Wilson makes no sense. If moved, they will be going to teams that are most likely a 'plug-and-play' that's ready to win now. The Eagles are not in that discussion.
    Last edited by Snakebitten; 01-20-2022, 09:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Greenstealth
    replied
    Originally posted by Melchior View Post

The difference, of course, being that Allen has an NFL arm and upside worth waiting 4 years to see.
    The Josh Allen comps are nauseating.

Leave a comment:

• DEERSPINE GUY
    replied
    YA CAN TELL WHAT OPPOSING TEAMS THINK ABOUT THE EAGLES PASS GAME JUST BY THE TB GAME.

EVEN BEING UP 24-ZIP AGAINST THE IGGLES, THEY WERE STILL STACKING THE BOX AGAINST THE RUN, DARING EAGLES TO THROW THE BALL TO BEAT THEM, WHEN THE ONLY WAY IGGS COULD WIN.......WAS TO THROW THE BALL.
    IF PASS GAME WAS A REAL THREAT, THEY WOULD HAVE STARTED PROTECTING MORE AGAINST THE PASS AT THAT POINT, BUT KNEW THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO.

NOT MUCH MORE TO SAY.

Leave a comment:

• Melchior
    replied
    Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post

I would suggest that it is something that does get better with time, look at Josh Allen, who had two dismal seasons to start his career and is now a top notch QB. He said this year, his fourth in the league, was when the game 'slowed down' for him and he was able to see the whole field. I think Hurts has earned another year, his first full year had its ups and downs, but he is still young and learning. Go back and look at some great QBs early years, most, if not all, put up paltry numbers in the beginning of their careers. If you think Hurts is so bad, what would you think of a QB who started his first full season with 9 TDs 18 picks and a 54 QBR, would you consider him a bust? Those are Aikman's first year stats, not saying Hurts is like Aikman, but there is just no patience anymore. They need to get more talent on D and 1 or 2 Olinemen to prepare for Jason and Lane's eventual retirements.
    The difference, of course, being that Allen has an NFL arm and upside worth waiting 4 years to see.

Leave a comment:

• Spartan92
    replied
    He just got the nod from Howie for next year which is good news we aren't blowing our 3 1sts. That being said, we aren't making any deep runs in the playoffs with 1 at the helm. Good dude great attitude, incredible athlete, insane wheels but terrible balls skills which is essential to succeed at QB.

​​​​​​Br happy to be wrong but we have seen this movie hundreds of times at the QB position and it usually doesn't work out. Either you have an arm and the talent to succeed in the pocket or you don't and are just a great athlete that can run and occasionally have a good or great game throwing but will never be consistent to help a team be a perennial SB contender
    ​​​​

Leave a comment:

• BirdBrawn
    replied
    I think he's good enough to be a starting QB, if that's all you want. I don't think he's good enough right now to beat good teams on a regular basis. I say he might be our best option for now, but I'd be surpri8sed if he's a starting NFL QB 5 years from now.

Leave a comment:

• thegodfather
    replied
    Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
    He doesn’t suck, and anyone who starts out a discussion leading with that loses credibility in my book.

He was able to take a not great team to the playoffs and by doing that he has shown himself to be a credible NFL starter.

The question of how high a ceiling he has remains unanswered for me. I do think he will reach that ceiling, whatever that is. High enough ceiling to win a championship? IDK

i guess my biggest worry about him is that to me his body type might not be ideal for a QB and that is one thing no amount of coaching or work can change.

if you want to hedge your bets on him I think the best move would be to take one of those first rounders and use it to stockpile more picks. No way I would trade more than one of them, though.
    You are right in most cases, Hurts does not suck he has great running ability, escape, heart and intelligence. But he does not have the one thing a NFL Quarterback needs, ARM, has bad accuracy, ball skills and awareness, he does not see the field, he looks at one receiver and throws or runs. Michael Vick did that early in his career but corrected it, when he was an Eagle he was way better at looking over the field. Maybe Jalen could do that. I would much rather try another year of him than trade our 3 first rounders for an aging QB like Wilson or Rodgers. I do not even want to talk about Watson.

Leave a comment:

• 3rd & Inches
    replied
    Originally posted by Wolfpack View Post
    Thing is, there are only about 10 - 12 QBs I’d definitely rather have than Hurts. And most of those are unattainable. And the 3 that are are prohibitively expense.
    I’ll ponder such a list myself

Leave a comment:

• Wolfpack
    replied
    Thing is, there are only about 10 - 12 QBs I’d definitely rather have than Hurts. And most of those are unattainable. And the 3 that are are prohibitively expense.

Leave a comment:

• 3rd & Inches
    replied
    “There is just no patience anymore”- Birdwatcher

100% agree. Drafting a QB in the first round would be a mistake, giving up more than one first round pick for a veteran QB would be a mistake. Let the kid start next season, and use the picks for all the other issues.

Leave a comment:

• Kelly Pat
    replied
    This draft is loaded with OL and defense players especially DBs. I don't see no glamorous picks for us just blue collar players which i love

Leave a comment:

• Birdwatcher
    replied
    Originally posted by Dim Bulb View Post
    Agree. I would add that a QB needs to be able to process information quickly. I'm not sure that is something you can teach/coach for someone to get better.
    I would suggest that it is something that does get better with time, look at Josh Allen, who had two dismal seasons to start his career and is now a top notch QB. He said this year, his fourth in the league, was when the game 'slowed down' for him and he was able to see the whole field. I think Hurts has earned another year, his first full year had its ups and downs, but he is still young and learning. Go back and look at some great QBs early years, most, if not all, put up paltry numbers in the beginning of their careers. If you think Hurts is so bad, what would you think of a QB who started his first full season with 9 TDs 18 picks and a 54 QBR, would you consider him a bust? Those are Aikman's first year stats, not saying Hurts is like Aikman, but there is just no patience anymore. They need to get more talent on D and 1 or 2 Olinemen to prepare for Jason and Lane's eventual retirements.

Leave a comment:

• Maniac
    replied
    My opinion regarding Hurts is don't give him a five year $200 million contract extension over the off season. Is that being considered?

He was okay this year. Some good, some bad. I can't see any better option than to roll with him next season. I'm against giving up multiple first round draft picks for old QBs. And I don't want Howie playing "smartest guy in the room" and reaching for a QB in the draft. Keep building the roster. If Hurts doesn't show significant improvement next season, easy to move on.

All the kvetching seems performative and gratuitous.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X