Johnson has to go.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RSE View Post

Sirianni could put a stop to this any time he wants to. He won’t.
    This much is undeniable.

(Unless he's planning an epic playoff rope-a-dope)

Comment

Originally posted by The Duck View Post

This much is undeniable.

(Unless he's planning an epic playoff rope-a-dope)
      I’ve had this thought, moreso to make myself feel better. The offense can be so vanilla and inconsistent within each game that I wonder “are they holding some stuff back?”.

the 2017 team is proof that you can revamp an offense right before the playoffs and it can catch fire. What is Frank Reich up to these days…

Comment

Willie Jay is ass
        Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

None of us are blaming Johnson for ST or defensive issues, you know that. The offense bears the brunt of the blame because it should be the clear strength of the team and a top unit in the league. If it's the strength of this team, it's only by default.

If anything can be said in Johnson's defense, it's that Sirianni is the bigger problem. Steichen just had the muscle to overrule Siri's worst tendencies because of the success he was having.
          IMO this week was one case where Johnson didn’t have much to do with the game being competitive.

I promise I’ll shut up about this, but so many of the Johnson complaints remind me of the complaints about Pederson after 2017, all the way down to people blaming the OC simply for calling pass plays.

The “run the ball” stuff is the complaint that I most disagree with. Partially because this team runs the ball plenty, and partially because a team needs to be able to throw the ball.

Again, I do think there are legitimate complaints. I won’t necessarily mind if Johnson isn’t around next year. I’m just not big on blaming the play caller every time a QB plays worse.
          Last edited by art vandelay; 12-27-2023, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post

IMO this week was one case where Johnson didn’t have much to do with the game being competitive.

I promise I’ll shut up about this, but so many of the Johnson complaints remind me of the complaints about Pederson after 2017, all the way down to people blaming the OC simply for calling pass plays.

The “run the ball” stuff is the complaint that I most disagree with. Partially because this team runs the ball plenty, and partially because a team needs to be able to throw the ball.

Again, I do think there are legitimate complaints. I won’t necessarily mind if Johnson isn’t around next year. I’m just not big on blaming the play caller every time a QB plays worse.
            Did you watch the Kolman video I posted? I’d be interested in what you think. Who is at fault for all the problems he identifies?

Comment

Originally posted by RSE View Post

Did you watch the Kolman video I posted? I’d be interested in what you think. Who is at fault for all the problems he identifies?
              I need to finish watching it. I could imagine he identifies a lot of problems that are either on Sirianni or Johnson.

I was a little surprised to hear him say that Hurts has been “fine.” To me Hurts has looked uncomfortable in the pocket and pulling the trigger when guys are open since the bye.

That video made me think of this Solak article.

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac View Post
                Willie Jay is ass
                You know I try to keep things peaceful. Just voicing my opinion on the situation. Why you so mad lol. Brian Johnson is ass.

Comment

I'm always down for some Ricky Roma "bet the other way" contrarianism, especially when it comes to whatever the fans happen to be screaming about on WIP at a given moment ("big back!", "get on the phone and sign that name I recognize, Howie!", etc). But on this one, the fans really are mostly right. There's something very wrong with this offense on a fundamental level.

It's obvious that Brian Johnson isn't the main problem. He's a just a subservient yes-man to the main problem, which is Nick and his one-dimensional shotgun offense. And Johnson isn't good enough/strong enough/forceful enough to do what Steichen was able to do last year. I actually think bringing in a guy like Frank Reich right now as an Assistant Coordinator could be the perfect move. Not because he was the great mastermind of the 2017 run, that stuff was overblown, but because he's not going to tip-toe around Sirianni out of fear of being fired and stunting his career advancement. The guy's been there and done that, he's still getting paid HC money, he doesn't GAF at this stage of his life. He could inject a dose of basic common sense into the offense almost overnight, just in time for the playoffs.

Comment

The one thing that nobody ever mentions is the play of the offensive line. Last year they were great. Dominated in pass protection and with the run game. The two main forces are both a year older and have made some mistakes that might be age related. I never remember Hurts being under this constant pressure last year. It doesn't take much of a drop off to change the dynamic.

whatever the verdict is on Johnson you have to take into account he is dealing with a different unit from last year.
                    Last edited by 1960; 12-27-2023, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1960 View Post
                      The one thing that nobody ever mentions is the play of the offensive line. Last year they were great. Dominated in pass protection and with the run game. The two main forces are both a year older and have made some mistakes that might be age related. I never remember Hurts being under this constant pressure last year. It doesn't take much of a drop off to change the dynamic.

whatever the verdict is on Johnson you have to take into account he is dealing with a different unit from last year.
                      Some of the offensive line play can be chalked up to the design of the offense making life more difficult for everybody. Kollmann covers some of this in the video. The cutback lanes are almost impossible to get to, and nobody's biting on the play action passes. The predictability of the offense is making the line's job much harder.

Granted, that doesn't account for the dumb penalties, but I can see the overall frustration with the scheme leading to some lapses in focus. Bad shit happens when guys aren't having much fun out there.

Comment

I need to finish watching it. I could imagine he identifies a lot of problems that are either on Sirianni or Johnson.

I was a little surprised to hear him say that Hurts has been “fine.” To me Hurts has looked uncomfortable in the pocket and pulling the trigger when guys are open since the bye.

That video made me think of this Solak article.

The title of the video is The Philadelphia Eagles Run a High School Offense.

Spoiler Alert: yeah, he blames almost all of it on Sirianni and Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Triple Dip View Post

I’ve had this thought, moreso to make myself feel better. The offense can be so vanilla and inconsistent within each game that I wonder “are they holding some stuff back?”.
                          Right! Like, what the hell has Penny been on the roster for all season?
                          YOU KILLED TED YOU MEDIEVAL DICKWEED!

Comment

Some of the offensive line play can be chalked up to the design of the offense making life more difficult for everybody. Kollmann covers some of this in the video. The cutback lanes are almost impossible to get to, and nobody's biting on the play action passes. The predictability of the offense is making the line's job much harder.

Granted, that doesn't account for the dumb penalties, but I can see the overall frustration with the scheme leading to some lapses in focus. Bad shit happens when guys aren't having much fun out there.
                            I agree 100% that not under a ding that the variables have changed has hurt them. They are trying to run the same plays in a very different environment. That is on Nick too.

Comment

Working...
                            X