Albums you didn’t like, but now do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albums you didn’t like, but now do

I mean years ago when they first came out you didn’t like it, but now years later you do. I’ll start: Supertramp - Breakfast in America

OK I'll bite....Wild the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle

Comment

Devo. Freedom of Choice. Not that I didn’t like it, more like I sloughed it off and didn’t pay attention to it. Years later in life I became a Devo head. “Gates of Steel” is one of the great underappreciated rock songs in every respect. I suspect the band has regrets about Whip It, but they had to make the song for their own sakes, and if you listen to it without the video it is profound.
      Last edited by RSE; 12-28-2023, 08:05 PM.

Comment

I used to think Fleetwood Mac's Tusk was a mediocre followup to Rumors. Now I think it's their best album.

The Waterboys' This Is the Sea wasn't something I disliked, but I didn't come to really love it until my later years.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
          OK I'll bite....Wild the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle
          Side 2 is one of the all time great album sides, right there with side 2 of Abbey Road. Two epic masterpieces with a rockin' party song in the middle.

Comment

Originally posted by RSE View Post
            Devo. Freedom of Choice. Not that I didn’t like it, more like I sloughed it off and didn’t pay attention to it. Years later in life I became a Devo head. “Gates of Steel” is one of the great underappreciated rock songs in every respect. I suspect the band has regrets about Whip It, but they had to make the song for their own sakes, and if you listen to it without the video it is profound.
            Gates of Steel is great.

Different album, but in the early days of Miami Vice, some of the music cues were incredible. Hearing Devo deep tracks on a network TV series was about cool as it got for a 13/14 year old kid.

Comment

All the Hall and Oates stuff back in the day. The music was for pussies.

…wait , are you calling me a twat? I see what you did.

Comment

Like RSE, it wasn't that I DIDN'T like it, just never heard them much or gave them much attention but I really like The Clash "London Calling" As a kid, all I knew was MTV hit "Rock the Casbah" but I was listening to Van Halen/Ozzy/Iron Maiden.

There are many tunes that I hear now that I didn't like mainly because I heard them so damn much at the time and was sick of them but now I can appreciate. A lot of the pop stuff and British invasion part 2 (ie "Sooner or Later" English Beat) or Duran Duran tunes.
                YOU KILLED TED YOU MEDIEVAL DICKWEED!

Comment

Originally posted by Cheesesteak View Post
                  Like RSE, it wasn't that I DIDN'T like it, just never heard them much or gave them much attention but I really like The Clash "London Calling" As a kid, all I knew was MTV hit "Rock the Casbah" but I was listening to Van Halen/Ozzy/Iron Maiden.

There are many tunes that I hear now that I didn't like mainly because I heard them so damn much at the time and was sick of them but now I can appreciate. A lot of the pop stuff and British invasion part 2 (ie "Sooner or Later" English Beat) or Duran Duran tunes.
                  I saw the Clash in the Men’s Gym at SUNY Binghamton in 1982. I could not believe my eyes that the biggest band in the world at the point was in Binghamton New York playing in a college gym in front of 3,000 kids from Long Island (an exaggeration, but not by much). When they opened with “London Calling” I pretty much lost any perception of time or space. The best concert I ever saw and I saw a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheesesteak View Post

I saw The Clash open for The Who at JFK Stadium in Philadelphia and I had no idea what I was witnessing. Not because I was torched on blonde Lebanese hash, but because I was more interested in The Who.

Comment

Originally posted by Two Gap Penetrator View Post
                      I mean years ago when they first came out you didn’t like it, but now years later you do. I’ll start: Supertramp - Breakfast in America
                      Wow I loved that album when it came out..Id have to say as young man playing in heavy metal cover band in the early 80's I was not listening to all that much variety..Id say Steely Dan,, The Royal Scam....and I really love the Dan so much now. But did back then..just was so mellow...I put Gold on and just veg out!
                      OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
                      "BFTR"

Comment

Originally posted by TRENT View Post

Wow I loved that album when it came out..Id have to say as young man playing in heavy metal cover band in the early 80's I was not listening to all that much variety..Id say Steely Dan,, The Royal Scam....and I really love the Dan so much now. But did back then..just was so mellow...I put Gold on and just veg out!
                        I’ll give you another one: The Bee Gees - Saturday Night Fever
                        I was chanting DISCO SUCKS and holding up a cigarette lighter in those days.

BTW, I know that’s not completely a Bee Gees album, but for the most part it is.
                        Last edited by Two Gap Penetrator; 12-28-2023, 09:54 PM.

Comment

I’ll give you another one: The Bee Gees - Saturday Night Fever
                          I was chanting DISCO SUCKS and holding up a cigarette lighter in those days.
                          you know Leif and liege is a great album...don't think I'm spelling it right....They were a legit band,,,now that album....ummmmm
                          OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
                          "BFTR"

Comment

Originally posted by TRENT View Post

you know Leif and liege is a great album...don't think I'm spelling it right....They were a legit band,,,now that album....ummmmm
                            Never heard of it

Comment

I saw The Clash open for The Who at JFK Stadium in Philadelphia and I had no idea what I was witnessing. Not because I was torched on blonde Lebanese hash, but because I was more interested in The Who.
                              Hahahaha!

Comment

Working...
                              X