Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Talking heads RE: Foles & tag

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Because that 2m

    Originally posted by Ground_Meat View Post
    I agree with your assessment, but why go through all this...knowing full-well that heíd pay $2 mil to opt out?
    Goes back on their books.

    Comment


    • #17
      You’re struggling.

      I gave you all the information you needed in the early part of Feb. and yet here you are, miffed as ever.
      Last edited by Drama Queen; 02-20-2019, 06:10 PM.

      Comment


      • #18
        Restructuring isn’t getting rid of guys. Not resigning guys like Howie Long until things are rapped up with Foles isn’t hard.

        I’m not going to pretend to think that the Eagles don’t really know what they’re going to do with most of the guys on the roster... like Peters ...

        Edit to add: to answer your question more specifically. Keeping Foles in the roster is not ideal as far as adding other pieces to the roster, but they are prepared to accept that worse case senerio. I imagine it goes something like this. Plan A tag and trade Foles before the dead 3/13 deadline. Plan B: Keep Foles after the deadline put have all your ducks in place with other players agents and whatnot to restructure. Then, continue to work on trading him.

        Again, the Eagles let parties know ahead of time what they are willing to do. Deal or no deal.
        Last edited by Drama Queen; 02-20-2019, 06:38 PM.

        Comment


        • #19
          The Pats tagged and traded Cassell under a different CBA that possibly had no provision for that. In any case, tagging and trading Foles would only be a problem if Foles decided to file a grievance. And he doesn't seem inclined to do that.

          Comment


          • #20
            Right, but itís possible that Foles will still be property of the Eagles after 3/15. Itís certainly not ideal.

            Comment


            • #21
              You had to edit that post

              Originally posted by Drama Queen View Post
              Youíre struggling.

              I gave you all the information you needed in the early part of Feb. and yet here you are, miffed as ever.
              And told me I'm struggling...

              The simplest answer for all of this is Foles walks in free agency and the eagles get a comp pick. Agreed? OK. Since you pointed out how simple everything is, it's more likely to you to assume the eagles are operating behind the scenes with team x and foles is in cahoots as well because WHY WOULD HE WANT TO GO INTO FREE AGENCY? If he did that he'd choose his team and salary. Is it possible that Howie finds a really stupid trade partner and foles is on board? Sure, it is possible, but how could you find that more likely and less complicated?

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Greenstealth View Post
                And told me I'm struggling...

                The simplest answer for all of this is Foles walks in free agency and the eagles get a comp pick. Agreed? OK. Since you pointed out how simple everything is, it's more likely to you to assume the eagles are operating behind the scenes with team x and foles is in cahoots as well because WHY WOULD HE WANT TO GO INTO FREE AGENCY? If he did that he'd choose his team and salary. Is it possible that Howie finds a really stupid trade partner and foles is on board? Sure, it is possible, but how could you find that more likely and less complicated?
                Ok, I agree that you hold the mantle for the least complicated scenario.

                My big assumption is that the Eagles are willing to keep Foles rather than give him away for a comp. 3rd.

                So with that said, I think youíre wrong to call any team a stupid trade partner. There are many reasons already mentioned as to why it would make sense for a team to trade (draft pick or players) for the best QB on the market.

                And Foles can choose to accept the $25m tag and sit on the bench and wonder if he will be traded to a team on a one year lease, or he can choose to participate in his own destiny and sign a long term contract and security that comes with that.

                Comment


                • #23
                  I guess we'll see. I just don't see a scenario where Foles stays for more reasons than just money.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I don't think it's about avoiding a bidding war as much as it's about a team getting their guy. If the Jags, for example, want Foles, I think it would be worth at least a 3rd for them to keep him from going to the Redskins or the Dolphins.

                    Denver just gave up a 4th for Joe Flacco. Wouldn't the Ravens have cut him if they hadn't found a suitor?

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I'm not entirely familiar with Flacco but I'd have to assume he would have been cut, he's still under contract though. It's not like the ravens would have to bluff a tag to try and get a return. https://www.phillyvoice.com/what-doe...nd-nick-foles/
                      I fall in line with kempski's thinking at least on this matter.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Fortunately, the Eagles have proven they are not adverse to risk.

                        Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
                        I don't think it's about avoiding a bidding war as much as it's about a team getting their guy. If the Jags, for example, want Foles, I think it would be worth at least a 3rd for them to keep him from going to the Redskins or the Dolphins.

                        Denver just gave up a 4th for Joe Flacco. Wouldn't the Ravens have cut him if they hadn't found a suitor?
                        ...and whatís the risk here: having to franchise Foles and keep him on the roster the entire year because you canít find a trade partner? Ok.

                        Baltimore found a trade partner willing to take Flacco, who is a 34 year old QB and making $23m a year, for a mid 4th round pick. Denver certainly didnít wait for Flacco to be cut because Washington was sniffing around.

                        Foles is 30 with a much better resume over the past 3 years. He is the consensus best available QB even when Flacco was on the market. Are teams going to wait for him to be cut because they donít want to pay north of a 4th round pick?

                        I donít think so.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          So you think the eagles are willing to essentially tank this year's cap to try and get something marginally better than the comp pick they'll get?

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Iím saying the Eagles are willing to assume the risk of keeping Foles. Iím also saying that the Eagles risk assumption creates a market for Foles.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Drama Queen View Post
                              Iím saying the Eagles are willing to assume the risk of keeping Foles. Iím also saying that the Eagles risk assumption creates a market for Foles.
                              Ok I'll stop. I'm tapping. I'll go recalibrate.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Haha. I like it!

                                What do you think the Eagles have/will be doing during this 3 week time period? Sitting around the phone waiting for a sucker to call or proactively bullshiting with teams like thetíre running a pawn shop?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X