• Show
Clear All

• "Tiger Puts Balls in Wrong Place Again"

BWAH! Actual NY Post headline.
    Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
    May 7, 2010

When did you see that?

I missed it.

BTW - I've reconsidered my waver on the DQ ... he should have DQ-ed himself.

That "tv rule" was not designed to save a player who clearly didn't know a rule and signed an erroneous card as a result.

Woods didn't ask for a ruling ... and once he was made aware of his mistake, after signing his card, the proper thing to do is DQ himself.

He can't have it both ways ... he wants to be all Mr. Golf, but doesn't want to abide by the rules ... and that game of Twister by the Masters' rules committee was bullshit.

Now, Woods clearly wasn't cheating ... he would have never admitted to doing the improper thing in the interview if he was.

But he needed to DQ himself after signing that card.

His attempt to rehab his image would have taken a big step forward and, instead, if he wins this now, it's an asterisk to many.
    Last edited by slag; 04-14-2013, 09:17 AM.
    Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

I Have To Disagree

When Woods signed the score card the penalty had yet to happen. As far as the Universe knew the score card was accurate. Being penalized after the fact does not change that.

He accepted the penalty, the powers that be ruled he should not be disqualified and he moves on. Expecting him to DQ himself is like saying the Olympic 100 meter dash champion should voluntarily give up the gold because the tip of his ring finger was over the line at the start.
      "If I owned Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell!"

Comment

You have no clue what you are talking about.

If you fuck up on a rule you have to call a penalty on yourself before you sign the fucking card or you are supposed to DQ yourself.

That's the rule.

And it's not remotely close to an Olympic runner accidentally having his hand over the line.

They don't have a card to sign with implications of disqualification.

Not to mention, Woods intentionally "put his hand over the line" thinking it was ok ... playing a game that specifically requires the players to know the rules or face the consequences.
        Last edited by slag; 04-14-2013, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Yeah -- Heaven Forbid They Should Be Human

And signing the "wrong" score card (when it was correct) IS the same as having your finger over the line. The rules say you must be BEHIND the line -- period. The guy who wins and KNOWS he was not should therefore decline the gold.

You want to blame anybody? Blame the people who made the decision not to DQ Tiger. They're the ones who could have avoided all this and considering the way Tiger reacted to the penalty they did hand him, do you really think he would have bitched if they chose to DQ him?

Comment

Golf has rules.

You abide by them or you don't.

Golf also has the unique feature of requiring the player to enforce the rules on him- or herself.

Here, the Rules committee IMO bent the rule in a similar fashion that a crooked judge would throw a case for a pal.

Woods could have rectified this by calling it on himself.

BTW - By your logic anyone can commit a crime and get away with it for being "human".
            Last edited by slag; 04-14-2013, 11:02 AM.

Comment

KG the golf "expert"

Yeah I agree I'm a big Tiger fan and he should have DQed himself. Rooting for Snedeker today
              "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

What a sham. No one knew any rules were broken. Someone from somewhere send a text message from his couch and all hell breaks loose. They have officials at the course in these tourneys. They should either see it and call it or move on. If you are going to let someone watching from his trailer park call penalties on players, you are giving a free ride to players who play before TV coverage starts or aren't on because they are not in contention........or aren't Tiger. This should be stopped because it is an unequal applications of the rules.

Tiger wouldn't go on TV right after the round and tell the world what he did if thought/knew it was illegal. His crime is ignorance. Since, ignorance is not a valid excuse, he should have been DQd. He wasn't and everyone with an interest in today (financially and fan excitement) are happy as a Head Coach in the shower room.

And, lets stop the madness with these fan text messages changing history and do you job at the course. Either that or lets let the people watching at home call balls and strikes and send the umps for crab fries.

Comment

Hardly

Perhaps I didn't clarify that -- I was referring to the fact that a golfer might be human and not know or remember at any given moment rule 23, section twelve, subsection four, exception A.

Comment

That's exactly the point ... under the rules, Woods is responsible for knowing.

And more significantly it was his interview that proved he didn't ... not the guy who called in.

In fact, when the guy called in, the officials supposedly looked at the tape and, without knowing that Woods was improperly and intentionally NOT attempting to drop nearest to where he hit the prior shot, decided he dropped it close enough.

The rules people obviously thought Woods knew the rule and was dropping with the intention of doing so closest to where he thought he hit his last shot.

His interview is what proved he didn't do that ... not the caller.

EDITED TO ADD: In fact, the caller is who saved Woods. If he hadn't called, the officials would have never ruled before Woods signed his card that the drop was proper.

They then stated that their initial error is why they decided not to DQ Woods. That, to me makes no fucking sense, but if the caller hadn't called in, they wouldn't have had that to use as their excuse for keeping him in the tournament.
                    Last edited by slag; 04-14-2013, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly Green View Post
                      Perhaps I didn't clarify that -- I was referring to the fact that a golfer might be human and not know or remember at any given moment rule 23, section twelve, subsection four, exception A.
                      when we played the bears in 08, olin kreutz fumbled in an attempt to snap the ball to brian griese. sean considine recovered the fumble and nearly ran it back for a touchdown. at this point it seemed like the eagles momentum on their side. however, due to an archaic rule, the bears retained possession. if a quarterback is under center and the ball never leaves the ground during the snap, the offense is assessed a five-yard false start penalty.

no one on either team knew this. the penalty was still assessed.

Comment

My understanding is that the whole process began with the call ( some are reporting it was a text.). And the review of the video of what tiger did and his subsequent interview all occurred after and because of the call/text. If this is true, it is wrong because it is no a fair (to all) players application of the rules. If it wasn't for the call, nothing would have happened. No one spotted the infraction and Tiger obviously didn't know the rule.

The important point goes beyond whether he should have been DQd or have DQd himself. It goes to a fair to all application of the rules. If they are going to let us determine who gets scrutinized and who doesn't because there are no cameras on them, then I'm texting for a two stroke penalty assess to Ian Poulter for wearing clothes that should have been burned in the 60s.

Comment

When Tiger Woods stated in that interview that he intentionally went two yards back from his original spot ... every person in the fucking country who knew the rule, including the guys who enforce them would/should know he violated it ... call or no call.

If the guy hadn't called in, someone would have pointed it out.

He created this.

The caller was dismissed as wrong ... not because he was wrong about the rule, but because the rules people assumed woods knew the rule when he dropped what they considered near enough to the original spot.

When Woods stated he wasn't doing that, he created the situation that required the rules people to change their assessment.
                          Last edited by slag; 04-14-2013, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Exactly

And the two stroke penalty was given to Tiger according to the rules, and he accepted it without any complaints.

However, the Tiger Haters expect -- no, DEMAND -- that he voluntarily fall on his sword as well.

DUMB!

Comment

They bent the rules to give him a lesser penalty than the one Tiger Woods and those rules officials know in their hearts was supposed to be assessed.

What the fuck does the fact that they ruled the drop was proper, when a caller phoned in and said he thought it was too far away, have to do with Woods later saying he was not trying to drop it where he was supposed to be dropping it?

Nothing.

Most particularly when Woods, at the time he signed his card, didn't know that a call had been made and that the officials ruled he was trying to drop it properly and did it close enough.

They made up some shit and Woods knows he signed his card thinking he knew the rule when he didn't ... and he's responsible for knowing it.

He should have DQ-ed himself ... not because he made a bad drop ... because he signed a bad card due to the fact that he didn't know the rule he violated.

And the fact that you don't understand the difference is why you need to, respectfully, STFU here.
                              Last edited by slag; 04-14-2013, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X