X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually agree

Originally posted by BigSlizz View Post
    What a bunch of crap.

If Maclin were so easily replaced, there would be more than 2 receivers in the past 15 years that you could say were better than him.

He had an off year last year because he missed so much time because of a bizarre health issue.

He was the most reliable receiver on the team, and one of the few receivers who caught TDs in the red zone.

There was some article a a couple years ago that mentioned there were only 4 receivers in NFL history (it could have been a smaller window of history, but Jerry Rice was on the list), who had a more productive start to their career than Maclin.
    While he hasn't been spectacular and to this point he hasn't lived up to being a 1st round WR, Maclin's speed makes him a threat and takes double teams away from Djax. You think any NFL defense gives a shit about Riley Cooper or jagoff Cunningham? I think you guys are too easily forgetting the trash the Eagles have had at WR over the years. Maclin is not irreplaceable but he is not easily replaced.

Comment

Exactly. I mean, just look at all if the unheralded WR's the eagles have picked up late in drafts or off the streets and turned into world beaters/all pro's.

There was TO.....and, um, there was.....uh......well.........shit.

Comment

Outside of Desean Jackson, Maclin has been the best Eagles WR drafted since Mike Quick. Now that is sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellsworth View Post
          Exactly. I mean, just look at all if the unheralded WR's the eagles have picked up late in drafts or off the streets and turned into world beaters/all pro's.

There was TO.....and, um, there was.....uh......well.........shit.

I didnt say that the Eagles have neccessarily found a diamond at the WR position. It DOES happen every season though, in the NFL.

I like Maclin, but let's be honest. Having him vs. not having him doesnt put this team in the playoffs anyway.

Comment

You think teams were game planning for Maclin?

I was a big Maclin proponent based on what I saw at TC his rookie year and he's been a pretty damn good player.

But I'm not seeing other teams thinking "ok, we have to account for Maclin" in their game planning sessions.

I would have liked to have seen him in this offense, but it's not something that just blew up the scheme.
            Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
              You think teams were game planning for Maclin?

I was a big Maclin proponent based on what I saw at TC his rookie year and he's been a pretty damn good player.

But I'm not seeing other teams thinking "ok, we have to account for Maclin" in their game planning sessions.

I would have liked to have seen him in this offense, but it's not something that just blew up the scheme.
              All I'm saying is that they had to account for him. He had the ability to beat a DB down the field in a 1-on-1 situation. His presence on the field did impact DJax/the other receivers. Now as someone pointed out he was badly sick last offseason and that may have been part of why he regressed so much. The shitty QB play couldn't have helped either.

I agree that he tends to get hurt too much and he dropped way too many balls last year, but the point that I'm trying to make is that not having him does make a difference. Hopefully it just means that we get to see more of Ertz.
              Last edited by ishimonster; 07-28-2013, 07:18 PM.

Comment

I hope they're able to get Avant more involved. He's a great blocker and route runner. With Ertz, Celek, Casey, Johnson and Avant all able to work the underneath/middle, they should be able to get some good matchups. All of those guys can block, and with a decent OL, teams will always have to account for the run. Ironically, the deep PA pass to Jackson that Andy/MM loved will probably be scarier than ever.
                "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

Originally posted by ishimonster View Post
                  All I'm saying is that they had to account for him. He had the ability to beat a DB down the field in a 1-on-1 situation. His presence on the field did impact DJax/the other receivers. Now as someone pointed out he was badly sick last offseason and that may have been part of why he regressed so much. The shitty QB play couldn't have helped either.

I agree that he tends to get hurt too much and he dropped way too many balls last year, but the point that I'm trying to make is that not having him does make a difference. Hopefully it just means that we get to see more of Ertz.
                  Maclin's illness was in 2011, not last offseason.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp1...ed-return-team

Maclin isn't bad, but if a player is hurt, he's not helping the team any.

He's a slightly better than average WR. I feel that with the exception of superstars many players are interchangeable cogs, especially at WR. I'm sure management feels the same way.

Replaceable.
                  --------
                  "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Well that's one way to spin a statement into something it's not. FWIW, one of the other 4 was Koren Robinson.
                    -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

Well that's one way to spin a statement into something it's not. FWIW, one of the other 4 was Koren Robinson.
                      Look at Brandon Lloyd's stats vs. Maclin's last year.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...M/MaclJe00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...L/LloyBr00.htm

If the Eagles F.O. thought it was desirable they could replace most of Maclin's production by signing Lloyd. If they don't sign Lloyd it means they think the can replace Maclin's production with guys already on the roster. Or that they are cheap.

People in this thread have stated that Lloyd sucks but really Maclin isn't that much better.

Replaceable.
                      --------

Comment

Apples to oranges. Lloyd is a locker room problem, and he's old.

Maclin's best years are ahead of him.
                        -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

Apples to oranges. Lloyd is a locker room problem, and he's old.

Maclin's best years are ahead of him.
                          Agree with you there. I don't really want Lloyd in the Eagles' locker room, especially with a new head coach.

I still think Maclin's production is replaceable.
                          --------

Comment

I wonder if they'll extend him to an additional year with a modest, performance-laden contract.
                            "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

Level of Agreement 100%

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
                              I've never been a big fan of him. He's not terrible, but he's nothing special either.

He reminds me of the Small-Johnson type receivers we used to complain about when McNabb was in his prime. OK but not great.
                              Maclin is the Mike Patterson of the offense. Just because he's better than the rest of the crap Reid drafted for 14 years doesn't mean he's any better than average.

Comment

Let's get serious.

There was some article a a couple years ago that mentioned there were only 4 receivers in NFL history (it could have been a smaller window of history, but Jerry Rice was on the list), who had a more productive start to their career than Maclin.

Maclin might, might be the fifth best wide receiver in the NFC East, when healthy. I don't care what the numbers say.

Comment

Working...
                                X